Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 689830 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #4170 on: August 31, 2016, 03:03:56 pm »
Got mine in the mail. Y'all be on the lookout for Saturday!  Hope you like it.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4171 on: August 31, 2016, 10:37:59 pm »
I would like to take this time to thank all of you who actively participated and made this trade possible.

It looks at the present time that everyone who made a bow will be receiving one. There are some in the mail presently and a couple more to be shipped by early next week.

There look to be four involved who will not be finishing the trade and should they decide I've decided to let them trade among themselves.

I was required to make some late changes to accommodate this, thus the delay and late shipping for a few.

If you have any concerns or comments you are welcome to either post them here or PM me.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4172 on: August 31, 2016, 10:59:14 pm »
Congratulations Fred and all the participants for a successful PA Bow Trade...the way they used to be.   ;)
Well done all!    8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #4173 on: September 01, 2016, 12:49:00 pm »
FRED!!!! I love you!! Hahahaha.

I will open this dude up when I stop for lunch!!
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #4174 on: September 01, 2016, 12:59:26 pm »
lots of positive energy in this thread
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #4175 on: September 01, 2016, 01:36:23 pm »
Well, I received my bow from Fred today, if you couldn't tell by my last post.

All I can say is wow.

This thing is beautiful. It feels great in my hand, pulls super nice and looks great.
He was even nice enough to send a couple arrows and some sinew.

THANK YOU FRED! This bow will definitely be out in the woods this year. I am going to go shoot it after lunch, and will also post pictures.

(This thing is so awesome!!!!!)

David

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #4176 on: September 01, 2016, 01:38:23 pm »
It even has beaver fur silencers... which is just cool. We have beaver pelts all over our house, so it matches perfectly.

David

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4177 on: September 01, 2016, 02:27:36 pm »
David, I'm glad you like it. It's a nice shooting bow but it can't compete in looks with some of the others I've seen made on this trade this year. I didn't tie down the silencers so you can adjust them to where you think they are needed. It's quiet enough that it really doesn't need them.

Came in a tad lighter than what I was shooting for although it is inside your specs. The tips are from Gemsbok horn, the small arrow rest from the tip of deer antler, a jute handle wrap and 10 strand 8190 low stretch string.

I couldn't keep the writing on the belly from bleeding with the beeswax and beef tallow so the belly was sprayed with low gloss Deft to hold the ink and then the bow was treated with the wax/tallow combination.

You did a marvelous job this year and I hope to see you back around for the next trade.

And kudos to all of you guys for helping this young man when he was struggling through his trade bow.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #4178 on: September 01, 2016, 05:58:52 pm »
I can't wait for pictures David.

Fred, this trade was great.  You did such a great job keeping track of everything and organizing this.  I would like to thank you for making this trade such a great trade.  I am proud I was able to be part of it.

Mike

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #4179 on: September 01, 2016, 05:59:42 pm »
Full draw pic sucks, again. I had the bow leaned way over and it makes the limbs look wierd.

David

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4180 on: September 01, 2016, 07:10:48 pm »
Nothing weird about that.  Looks mighty good to me.  Nice work Fred!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #4181 on: September 01, 2016, 07:22:39 pm »
Congrats David, Fred done you good looks like a fine bow and arrows too! WOW

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4182 on: September 01, 2016, 08:39:40 pm »
Looks darn good to me!! Sweet bow Fred. Congrats David.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #4183 on: September 01, 2016, 11:18:19 pm »
Well, I've finally made some more progress on trilam #2.  First of all, I just want to thank everyone for their input on the last one.  I am going to get this one finished (I don't see any knots!!), but I completely understand if I'm not going to get a bow out of this trade.  At this point, I just want to fulfill my own wish to make my trade a sweet trilam, and I think this one is on it's way.  So, without further ado... pictures!

Here's how it looked after I got it floor tillered:

And the pic after I got in moving 4 inches with the long string (a wee fuzzy on the right side, but you can see the gist):

And here's how it looked with a tight long string:

I thought everything was looking good, so I went on to get it to a short brace.  Here's the result of that:

That right limb is just a touch on the stiff side... All I can say is working with ipe is definitely an exercise in patience!!  However, here's the picture after unbracing it:

All I can say I am really excited to see how this bow will turn out.  But, as it seems is par for the course, I did have a minor setback.  While scraping away at that right limb (which was looking better and better), I went to string the bow and started to hear a ticking sound.  At first my heart started to sink.  I stopped stringing it and started looking the bow over and discovered this:

So the handle section is starting to separate.  This is the part of the handle that is on the left hand side of the bow from the tillering tree pics.  I wouldn't be surprised if it started to separate due to the sharp step between the handle and the working limb (which isn't how it was after glue-up, but you can see how much wood I've had to remove in order to get the weight down to a reasonable poundage...).  I would be half tempted to just let the whole handle section pop off, but here's the other side of the handle:

As pointed out, the crack goes into the belly lam.  Not the end of the world since it's a stiff handle (I'm guessing some epoxy will solve it), but I obviously need to take care of the handle section before continuing the tillering.  I think I'll need to get the handle off, get the ipe in the handle section to the same thickness of the limbs, and reattach the handle.  I hope I can get it off without grinding the whole thing off, but if that's what I need to do, so be it.  That is, unless there's a better alternative.

Stay tuned!

"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4184 on: September 02, 2016, 12:18:59 am »
Others may be able to give better advice, --I don't have experience with this type--  but it seems like getting that transition smooth between the fade (grip) and the bending limb.

Hang in there, and I am sure you will be getting a bow too--you have worked to keep the group up to date.  someone should know what to do and can help.