Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 676059 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 09:27:02 pm »
On a more serious note, is 6 months enough time for those planning on a sinew backing? I was toying with the idea, but I'd hate to watch all my potential work time disappear while waiting for hide glue to cure.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline half eye

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 09:40:03 pm »
Dakota,
      If you have not made enough sinew backed bows to have a good feel for timing, just a suggestion that you develop a plan more within your knowledge base. Not being a jerk, but try to do a bow you like, and do it really well.....then you wont have the time thing sneak up and bite you.
rich

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 09:49:24 pm »
I'm in

RH
Draw weight  40#-55#
Draw length 28"
I'm ok with any design I just want to hunt with it

I all ready have some pics to show. So can I do that here? Or are y'all gonna make a new thread for that?
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 10:39:39 pm »
I've done a couple sinew backed bows but am no expert.  Both were short recurves, one yew and one osage. I just left them on the rack to dry for 8 months or more before I retillered. Most of the recommendations/readings I found suggest waiting a year. If it can be ready before that it would be welcome knowledge and I'd probably make more of them. It is an impressive backing material to say the least. 

As far as running into trouble,  I usually need to have at least three bows in progress at once so I can rotate when I need a break from one. I'll have more than one option if something goes awry with plan A.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DuBois

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 11:35:27 pm »
I skipped last years trade and it was more difficult than I thought it would be the year before that!
But I am in for this one!

RH
40-60#
26-28"

When does the action begin?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2016, 12:30:28 am »
Well it looks like we're going to be setup with names drawn by the 1st of the month and deadline will be mid August but I don't expect any of this bunch to be that late. I see a lot of enthusiasm from these young guys and fully anticipate 100% out of everyone who has responded.

We have an even dozen participants at the moment chomping at the bit.

Even though you don't know your recipient yet you are more than welcome to post pics of what you're working on and let us know a little bit about yourself.

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline half eye

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2016, 07:05:37 am »
Well now, I sort of got started yesterday. Went to the wood bin and dug out a few sticks and brought them into the shed (unheated) to clean off the snow and size them up....then into the house for a couple days to warm them up. but here are a couple of pictures of the current state of affairs.

We have had a mild winter so far, but it's tryin hard to make up for it....last couple of weeks more than 70 inches. Of course there is also the obligatory gale force winds. So anyways, here are the pics.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2016, 07:26:09 am »
Those look wide rich....I see half a dozen bows at least!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2016, 07:59:32 am »
I've done a couple sinew backed bows but am no expert.  Both were short recurves, one yew and one osage. I just left them on the rack to dry for 8 months or more before I retillered. Most of the recommendations/readings I found suggest waiting a year. If it can be ready before that it would be welcome knowledge and I'd probably make more of them. It is an impressive backing material to say the least. 

As far as running into trouble,  I usually need to have at least three bows in progress at once so I can rotate when I need a break from one. I'll have more than one option if something goes awry with plan A.

A few layers of sinew on wood, with hide glue will dry plenty in 2-4 weeks during cold northern winters. That gives you time to make 4 or 5 of them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2016, 08:49:00 am »
Good job Fred!
Thanks for giving your time and energy  to this
Have fun folks
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2016, 09:07:31 am »
Rich, those are nice looking staves. I've never worked ironwood.

As for my sinew backed osage,  I have a nice black walnut  I found in my pile that has been drying indoors for over 3 years that I've decided to use instead. It will only require a couple of sessions of heat straightening and will be ready to back.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline cabinetbowguy

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2016, 09:32:29 am »
Im in

Rh
40-50 #   28-30 inch draw. 
Desgin dont matter to me what ever you send i will be happy have fun

Amen

Offline half eye

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2016, 09:42:34 am »
well Fred, you way ahead of the old guy.....I got 'em split down to a size that I can work on, and will have the bow preforms finished by this evening. Decided to cut a bunch of different sizes since I dont know who my victim is.....anyway, should be good to go by time the names get put out.

enjoy the pics
rich

Offline ajooter

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2016, 09:46:12 am »
Your a machine rich.  How do you reduce your staves?  I'm a hatchet man myself.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2016, 09:54:29 am »
Rich,  8)You're a tougher old man than I am. I'm not going out in that snow till the sun turns it to water. I've already got 8 or 10 down to bow dimensions hanging on the rack or laying in a pile.