Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 688973 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2016, 06:13:27 pm »
My guess is beech.

I have an "art bow" in progress with a beech stave. The wood was a better bow wood than I would have thought. It ranks with the other top white woods.  The plan was to shape the limbs like snakes swallowing the handle. The airbrush the color on both sides. I may put that into the mix of potential candidates. I have a rock elm stave that I'm making into a mollie as my #1 for the trade. My plan B will be an American hornbeam that I haven't picked a style for quite yet. I have a yew sapling/branch that needs to be a bendy handle which I may also choose depending on my guy's draw.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2016, 06:25:37 pm »
I was wondering about using beech. The deer won't eat it, and it's overgrowing most other trees.

Lots of low branches and knots, but I think I have a few nearby saplings with fairly clear trunks. Maybe I'll cut a few tomorrow just to check it out once it's dry. Looking forward to reading about your experience with the bow, Dakota.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2016, 06:27:59 pm »
PlanB, that stave is birch.  I have heard it can make a serviceable bow.  I cut it in 2007 from my Grandfathers land on the day he passed away.  I haven't been inspired to work on that piece of wood until I was digging through my pile of wood last night.  I hope there is some good mojo in that piece of wood.  I am leaving it long for now and not touching the handle ( in case I get someone with a 31 inch draw).  If that happens it may be a 68 inch bendy handle bow. 

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2016, 06:55:12 pm »
Swampman I built a black birch bow this year, with over 1800 arrows through it so far. It's kept 1/2" reflex.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2016, 07:24:37 pm »
PlanB, that sounds very encouraging.  So far the wood is very nice to work with.  I got some more work done this afternoon with a rasp.  It is not bending yet.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2016, 08:24:47 pm »
I'm in
LH
45-55#
25-27" draw
I'm excited and eager to get started.

Offline half eye

« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2016, 08:33:59 pm »
good deal gutshot....Fred's got some computer access issues that will be resolved by tomorrow but you are for sure welcome sir....
rich

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2016, 09:17:20 pm »
Real high stiffness wood swampman, my limbs finished out at 3/8" x 2" mid-limb on a 64" ttt for 40# @ 28", if that helps.

(that was de-crowned -- ie. board bow)

Offline Swampman

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2016, 09:37:39 pm »
Thanks PlanB.  I am planning 2 inches wide for the majority of the limb.  The length will depend on the draw length of the person I get.  I may work on getting a couple other staves roughed out just to keep my options open. 

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2016, 10:07:58 pm »
Well, I havn't spoken much at all on here, But I been lurkin! This whole trade thing is a cool Idea. I have been carving out bows since 198something. Most have been Osage with a couple Vine Maple, Black Locust and board bows when I lived on the Canadian border and had no decent wood to work. As much as I would love to participate I am going to have to pass. I moved back to Kansas and do not have any seasoned Hedge/ Osage. Love the community of brothers here and I am really looking forward to meeting a few of you at some gatherings this summer. I will certainly continue lurking and drooling over the selfbow works of art. Larry

Offline Drewster

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2016, 10:20:51 pm »
Well, I havn't spoken much at all on here, But I been lurkin! This whole trade thing is a cool Idea. I have been carving out bows since 198something. Most have been Osage with a couple Vine Maple, Black Locust and board bows when I lived on the Canadian border and had no decent wood to work. As much as I would love to participate I am going to have to pass. I moved back to Kansas and do not have any seasoned Hedge/ Osage. Love the community of brothers here and I am really looking forward to meeting a few of you at some gatherings this summer. I will certainly continue lurking and drooling over the selfbow works of art. Larry

Hey Larry, I bet someone here would help you with a seasoned stave......come on and join the fun.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline ajooter

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2016, 10:40:02 pm »
Heres where im at...I have 4 hickory staves that Ive roughly layed out...nothing much in stone yet.  I have found that when I reduce a stave I have the best luck laying the stave out from the belly side and starting about 2 inches wide.  Once I have the back profile roughed out to about 2 inches I then reduce the belly to a heavy uniform thickness  leaving room to still bring the stave to floor tiller.  I then once again reduce the limb width a little more now that I have a clearer picture of the belly.  I am amazed how some of you guys are able to lay bows out from the back...it never really works out for me so I opt to do it from the belly side with better success.  The stave I have reduced has a heavy deflex kink in one of the limbs so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2016, 11:25:42 pm »
Lookin good guys. Computer problems seem to be fixed except the email server is going to be down for awhile. Half eye will take care of your questions if this server goes south on me tomorrow.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2016, 11:47:37 pm »

not the best quality photo but Monday and teusday when I'm off of work ( finally!!!!) ill split up this osage orange and see what I can do for a stave. or maybe ill use the hackberry stave and sinew back it a  little bit.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2016, 12:44:28 am »
Some nice staves being shown here. I'm glad to see you all showing enthusiasm.

kid bow, I have some hackberry that I spliced together from billets. I've never finished it but really like the feel of that wood.

If any if you guys are "needing a stave to work for the trade"  I've found some donated that you can have but you would be required to pay the shipping.

I also have some blanks that aren't tillered out that I would let go same terms.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.