Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 689065 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2016, 03:06:36 am »
Well, there's good news and bad news.
I will be taking a trip to Kansas sooner than I expected since my oldest sister died early yesterday and there will be a service down home. She struggled a lot through life with her own worst enemy but it was still sad and sudden. Don't know if any of you remember one of my first posts "Sisters Broken Bow", but it was hers. I don't need any condolences or such, I just feel fortunate to have what I do and I appreciate you all here.

Well, I havn't spoken much at all on here, But I been lurkin! This whole trade thing is a cool Idea. I have been carving out bows since 198something. Most have been Osage with a couple Vine Maple, Black Locust and board bows when I lived on the Canadian border and had no decent wood to work. As much as I would love to participate I am going to have to pass. I moved back to Kansas and do not have any seasoned Hedge/ Osage. Love the community of brothers here and I am really looking forward to meeting a few of you at some gatherings this summer. I will certainly continue lurking and drooling over the selfbow works of art. Larry
It would be a privilege to bring you a stave or even 2 for this trade if you could be so persuaded?

Not sure exactly when yet but I'll be between Lawrence and Fort Scott for a couple of days soon.
Let me know Larry.

You know, last time I entered this trade my dog died.

I just emailed Sleek hours before I found out about my sister and mentioned taking a springtime trip to Kansas with a bison hide for him and then I could ask the current owner of my Grandpas old farm there about cutting some osage for a tribute bow. For Christmas I sent my sister a photo from old negatives I found of her on my Grandpas motorcycle at the farm when she was about 6 years old. Now, in a way, I'll be lead back there by her and visiting where we were first born and raised with her ashes to spread. Interesting how things happen if you pay attention. It's beyond me, that's for sure.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...

Offline half eye

« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2016, 06:39:24 am »
Fred, Hedgehog or anybody else that wants in but got no wood I'll be happy to give you some dried Ironwood (HHB) and if you dont mind the saw will even cut it down to near bow size.....you cover shipping and the wood is yours....
rich

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2016, 08:37:12 am »
Count me in. :)
Right hand, 45-55#, 26-28"
Steve Bennett

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2016, 08:54:56 am »
I signed up a while back, but just noticed I never posted my stats. So here they are.

Right handed
40-60#
Draw- 24-28"

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2016, 09:16:51 am »
I've got Black locus and Osage staves dried out just can't get to them for blizzard we got here in Ky. But I do have 1 BL stave in the basement I just found. I'm gonna get started on it. Post pics later when I figure out how to do it again. It keeps saying the pic is to big.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2016, 09:21:16 am »
Just a thanks to you, then, DuBois for generosity. The rest is unspoken by request, but there for all, I'm sure.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline half eye

« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2016, 09:26:54 am »
Hey Turtle & Gutshot glad to have ya join in fellas and welcome...

At it again Marco?  good on ya man
rich

Offline sleek

« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2016, 09:47:15 am »
Returning home is a wonderful thing dubois. For both of you.  Let me know when you are going to be in kansas. I will do everything i can to meet you up there. I am only 15 min away from the border.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2016, 09:53:59 am »
I've been working the last couple days and will be off Monday and Tuesday. I'll get back on things then and this coming weekend.   I've got mt-13 epoxy for the sleeves but does it require heat to cure?  What is the best to use that doesn't require heat. I don't have a hotbox to put the staves in. Or do y'all have any other suggestions for the sleeves?  Thanks Tim

P.S.  I got the sleeves from Carson at Echo archery so their brass and steel.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:57:24 am by TimothyR »
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2016, 10:00:16 am »
Tim, MT 13 requires no heat. Nothing better for metal to wood bonding of sleeves. 24 hrs and you're good to go.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2016, 10:01:57 am »
Thank you Sir! Thank what I was hoping to hear!

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2016, 10:05:48 am »
 ::)  I'm warning you all to be careful about that Sir ****  ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:06:01 pm by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2016, 10:15:41 am »
If anybody has trouble posting pictures email them to aaron.hollenbeck@gmail.com  with your username and I'll get them right up....I use imgur to upload pictures if anybody needs a walkthru on how to resize and upload pictures I'd be happy to help them.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2016, 11:48:20 am »
::)I'm warning you all to be careful about that Sir ****

Hooah! Sir! Won't let it happen again sir.   ;D

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2016, 01:05:41 pm »
 ;D Do you guys realize we started this less than 48 hrs ago?

Here's some interesting stats:

We have 18 participants so far

As a percentage of participation vs hits, we beat the other two trades combined ;)

I'd like to see a few more pics of what everyone is going to be working on.

Also like to know either by a post or a PM if anyone doesn't have the proper tools they need to get started.

The list of participants will come out shortly and there are only a couple of entrants that  are not involved as much as I'd like. That does concern me. In the long run it's the only stipulation that really counts if we're to have 100% success rate with this trade.

One question at the moment for all of you: Who's ready to start laying out their profile on their stave or bow blank?