Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 676005 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2016, 08:03:18 pm »
Stix I can post pics for you and I can show u how to use imgur which is what I use....I'm sure Fred will still bring you on.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2016, 08:17:18 pm »
Here's the hackberry i will b workin. My specs are, 45-55# @ 26-28". Any style would be awesome
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2016, 08:18:44 pm »
Awesome, finally found a pic app that works😄
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2016, 09:50:21 pm »
Alright I finally have some pics to put up. This first one is the staves I will be working/ choosing from top to bottom we have:  HHB, Rock Elm, Spalted Hazel, and the beech art bow I mentioned before with the snake limbs.

I'm kinda leaning toward the spalted hazel. The biggest reason being that the wood itself is almost a one of a kind, and gorgeous to boot. When I asked about the wood, no one had seen anything like it before. I was warned that spalted wood may be an issue, but it was confined to the center of the stave. I made a stiff handle and kept the spalting out of the working areas and ended up with a good looking nice shooting bow in the 55# range.
Here's that bow and the sister stave from the first pic.

Here's  better shots of the coloration on the stave and the close to finished bow.

I'll have to let the wood dictate what kind of bow it wants to be, but the plan is to keep it simple until I'm sure the wood will co-operate. My #2 will be a mollie from the HHB, which is a build I'm comfortable and confident with.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:20:27 pm by Dakota Kid »
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2016, 09:54:08 pm »
I remember that wood. Amazing color!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline ajooter

« Reply #155 on: January 24, 2016, 10:07:25 pm »
Gorgeous color on that wood kid!! I got one of the limbs to floor tiller on the first hickory stave I'm working.  I'm having trouble with imgur uploading photos now that I said I could do it!!  Ain't technology grand?!  I think I will get the bow to a solid even floor tiller maybe even low brace and get started on another one.  I cut this wood last year about this time and it has been in the garage so I may weigh the blanks and monitor them closely for weight loss now that I Wil be keeping them inside.  Hopefully I'll have some pics up later.  Everybody seems to be making great headway.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2016, 10:29:20 pm »
While waiting to find out who I get, I thought maybe I should have a stave ready to go that would make a nice bendy handle bow.  I started cleaning the back up on this piece of hhb. 

I am seeing some awesome pieces of wood posted so far.

Offline Loope

« Reply #157 on: January 24, 2016, 10:40:35 pm »
It sounds tempting, but before committing, can someone clarify a little?  Maybe I missed it in the post, but how much time is there to complete one, that is, when is the ship date?  Also, is it usually just a bow plus a few arrows or do you include quivers, cases, etc.?

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2016, 10:46:50 pm »
Wow, all of these nice staves! I have 2 billets of ash that I will tackle in the near future, but for now...

Here's my humble offering to the mix:

This will be a bamboo backed osage bow.  I made decent progress today getting the bamboo thinned (it was about 1/2 inch thick to begin with)... I still need to do a little more work (tapering the thickness mainly), but so far so good!

Here's the splice for the osage.  I'll need to clean the cuts a tish more to make them fit tightly, but soon enough it'll be one piece of bamboo and osage!

"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline jandersson

« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2016, 10:54:02 pm »
Hey folks!
If you all willing to let a novice bow builder in I'd like to give it a go this year. I bit intimidating I must say, it's not like I can build bows like you guys but I'm no quitter :)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2016, 11:02:56 pm »
I believe the ship date was/is the end of August. This is an open invite trade, as long as you give it your all, no one will be upset. I'd advise to have had at least a couple of successful bows to your credit. Those first couple bows can be plenty hard enough without added pressures of deadlines and knowing it's ending up in another bowyers hands. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline jandersson

« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2016, 11:52:50 pm »
Ok I'm in.
26"-28"  with "regular" bows. Open to shortys with shorter draw.
40-60#
Right handed
I'd be very happy with any style bow!

I'll be working on these. In case one fail I got a backup.
Twisty Lilac and an Ash sapling.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:08:27 am by jandersson »

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2016, 12:04:36 am »
Ok, I have been hesitating, but I would like to be in.  I am getting pretty confident about making a good bow if I have a good stave to work with--which is my problem at the moment.  I have a couple of staves, one or two of which look pretty good--but I also have standing commitments for for two of them.--I have to finish one for my son, since the bow I was making him for Christmas broke in the tillering. Half Eye Fred, both of you have offered to help the stave-poor. Can we work something out?

My stats:
50-55#
29" draw
Right Handed
I like to shoot from a rest
open for any style

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #163 on: January 25, 2016, 12:31:12 am »
I dug some more staves out. I think I'm set for staves.  I have three Osage blanks and and a few billets one set is red Osage. And three hhb and one ERC stave.  I'm excited about this trade. Ready to get going again.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline sleek

« Reply #164 on: January 25, 2016, 12:53:49 am »
If that is spalted as you say, get ready for heart ache. Spalting is a sign of fungal rot. Dont use it, its not safe. It makes good handles and tips though.

Alright I finally have some pics to put up. This first one is the staves I will be working/ choosing from top to bottom we have:  HHB, Rock Elm, Spalted Hazel, and the beech art bow I mentioned before with the snake limbs.

I'm kinda leaning toward the spalted hazel. The biggest reason being that the wood itself is almost a one of a kind, and gorgeous to boot. When I asked about the wood, no one had seen anything like it before. I was warned that spalted wood may be an issue, but it was confined to the center of the stave. I made a stiff handle and kept the spalting out of the working areas and ended up with a good looking nice shooting bow in the 55# range.
Here's that bow and the sister stave from the first pic.

Here's  better shots of the coloration on the stave and the close to finished bow.

I'll have to let the wood dictate what kind of bow it wants to be, but the plan is to keep it simple until I'm sure the wood will co-operate. My #2 will be a mollie from the HHB, which is a build I'm comfortable and confident with.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others