Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 688945 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #180 on: January 25, 2016, 12:30:07 pm »
Profile of top limb tapered

Knot near tip

Knot near fade

Knot near the tip should go away the one near the fade will hopefully go away during tillering...depends on what I need for draw weight I suppose.

Offline sleek

« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2016, 12:30:30 pm »
Dakota Kid. I didnt read closely enough to see where you stated you removed all the spalting damage. That is probably one of thw sweetest most aesthetically pleasing bows i have seen in a long time. I love it. Any chance of a full draw? If you have any more of that wood, perhaps a trade could be worked out?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #182 on: January 25, 2016, 01:32:43 pm »
Hey guys I just finished a spreadsheet and have everyone's info organized. Only missing a couple of emails (Rich  ;D) and 1 phone #.

Latest count is 23 not including myself as back up.

I really appreciate all of your involvement and especially the pics of which we're only missing a few.
Once these all get posted we'll move onto the next stage stave/ bow layout for the new guys that aren't there yet.
Some of you have already passed this stage and won't need to re-post. I don't figure it will take long to complete this stage and then we'll move onto removing wood and floor tillering for those who haven't done this before.

As we progress through each step making sure no one is left behind I figure we will be into long string tillering by the 2nd month with everyone still on board and a few of you possibly finished.

I don't want any of you new guys at this stage trying to jump ahead of the rest of us. The experienced bowyers will be guiding you the remainder of the way through this process.

Make sure you take pics and ask questions through every stage and we'll make sure you send a bow on to your recipient that you can be proud of. In fact I want you to like the bow you built so much that you cry when have to send it on. We call that tears of joy.

All the old timers here have a message box!!! If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM someone for help. And my PM box is there also. If any of you have any suggestions I will listen.

When this first started I wanted to do a match up for bowyers with similar experience and  tattoo dave suggested that it should be a drawing just like the old original trades. Everyone seemed to agree with Dave's suggestion so guess what? He probably saved the trade. Thanks Dave.

And I can't begin to tell you how many suggestions half eye brought to my attention but without him this trade might be going nowhere.

So let's get started and have some fun!!! >>>-----> Fred

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #183 on: January 25, 2016, 01:44:53 pm »
Oh, and by the way. No bows will be shipped out until we're all finished with our project. If we keep this organized we should be finished inside of 4 months.  ;)
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2016, 01:56:35 pm »
Even though I'm an insider, cool kid, pro, a-hole or whatever else "somebody" has labeled me. I'd be glad to offer advice if I'm asked. Always have and always will. You don't make the top 10 poster list by not helping people every chance you get, unless you just run your mouth all day... :) And I do that sometimes to.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2016, 02:13:43 pm »
Hey PD, I've always appreciated your advice. You've helped me countless number of times so I'm always interested in listening. If you have any suggestions for me drop me a PM. I'll listen and respond.

Offline Otter

« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2016, 02:17:05 pm »
Fred Arnold, I pm you ... Did you get it?

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2016, 02:23:17 pm »
RH 50-60lbs
27-29" draw

Thanks for running it
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Drewster

« Reply #188 on: January 25, 2016, 02:30:42 pm »
Geez, I'd better get busy.  You "eager beavers" are going to leave me behind.  Here are two hickory staves I'm considering.  Probably go with the one on the left.  The one on the right would work well if I cut it in half, flipped it end for end and spliced the handle together.....might do that too.  I'll wait and see who I draw and what their specs are.

Drew - Boone, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2016, 02:45:52 pm »
Dang Drew,  good lookin lumber right there.
rich

Offline Drewster

« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2016, 03:19:22 pm »
Dang Drew,  good lookin lumber right there.
rich

The one on the right has a "dip" about mid way that might be a pain.....that's why I was thinking of cutting that stave in half and splicing the handle.....solve that problem ;-)  This is some shagbark hickory salvaged from a road widening project.....thank you DOT!
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #191 on: January 25, 2016, 03:46:36 pm »
Thanks Fred for keeping this going
Some great bows will come out of this no doubt

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #192 on: January 25, 2016, 04:34:37 pm »
I figure if might as well show everyone the face behind the coon. And my apprentice for the trade  cabinetbowguy. For those that don't know me I'm the blonde beard.

Kyle

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #193 on: January 25, 2016, 05:03:09 pm »
Well I can't wait any longer with all this wood flying around, so this afternoon I grabbed one of my black birch staves, shaved it down some, marked it, chopped and rasped, and got a bow going. It's got a good amount of reflex in the stave, but two of the bows I did already started out with more.

Man you got to work hard around here not to fall behind!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:07:15 pm by PlanB »
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline ajooter

« Reply #194 on: January 25, 2016, 05:18:22 pm »
That's one heck of a plan b man...can't wait to see more.