Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 676046 times)

Offline jandersson

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #210 on: January 25, 2016, 07:22:32 pm »
How do you guys think I should straighten this one, dry or steam? Does the wood swell with steam? I'm afraid the scar could open up if the wood moves too much.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #211 on: January 25, 2016, 07:28:54 pm »
I went digging through pictures of me and found the best one I could find.

Offline jandersson

« Reply #212 on: January 25, 2016, 07:35:28 pm »
Swampman:
Ha! That's what I look like at work when I save kids from lead.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #213 on: January 25, 2016, 07:38:59 pm »
I was painting some vintage metal cabinets for our kitchen with some nasty epoxy paint.  I had to capture the moment with a selfie. 

Offline DuBois

« Reply #214 on: January 25, 2016, 07:39:35 pm »
Ok here's me.

Offline half eye

« Reply #215 on: January 25, 2016, 07:39:59 pm »
J, think I'd steam that, it might not make it either way but I believe steam is your best bet. I am probably the only guy on the site that uses steam only.....so you may wish to see if one of the other guys chimes in.

Damn swampman we could recognize that mug anywhere 8)
rich

Offline DuBois

« Reply #216 on: January 25, 2016, 07:40:27 pm »
OOp!
Here we go.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #217 on: January 25, 2016, 07:43:29 pm »
jandersson, I've got a few of those on my shop rack. I'm waiting for more experience but what the heck if you've got a backup go for it. We'll help you out. If it works that could make a fine character bow.

How wide is it at the knot below and if you eliminate the knot how much do you have left" Also how wide at the limb at the crevice?

I agree with half eye. With that type of crevice dry heat would probably crack it. You may want to steam it first and take the twist out. Then see what it will take for alignment.

I can't say for sure but it looks like you should take the twist out at the knot.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline half eye

« Reply #218 on: January 25, 2016, 07:44:26 pm »
Marco, I knew right off you was lying in that first picture cause thats way to good lookin to be you. Glad ya fessed up sir  >:D

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #219 on: January 25, 2016, 07:54:51 pm »
sleek,

The dark coloration runs the length of the stave like heartwood. On the finished bow, I removed all but a few traces of it along the limb bellies. Where it remained it left some nice "flames" in the fades and runs the length of the handle. The only other piece with the same color out of the 8 stave I cut is the one I'm building for the trade. I know how it formed, so there may be some more lurking in the hazel grave where I cut from. The original tree had a "Y" right near the ground. The other branch had died and fallen leaving a big hollow knot hole. Over time it filled with organics which then turned to soil. There was actually a small maple sprout growing out of it last time I walked by. The fungus in that soil entered the stave at that "y and ran up the center. Only the first 1/2 foot of the stave had a rotten center. The rest of the way up was that wonderful chocolate colored stain. I'll be up near that patch of hazel every day this week. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a similar situation in another tree. If I find one, I'll be glad to set up a trade. Let's just hope I can find a straight one.

I'll try to get a full write up on that bow posted in it's own thread in the next couple days. I had intended to do so anyway seeing how it's probably one of the prettiest bows I've made thus far.

Thanks for your interest.   
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #220 on: January 25, 2016, 08:03:10 pm »
Jandersson - that is one challenging looking stave!  I would also suggest steam - probably going to take several sessions!  :laugh:
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline jandersson

« Reply #221 on: January 25, 2016, 08:03:48 pm »
Half eye, Fred:
What you think of putting a clamp across the limb where the scar is just to keep it from moving to much?
The limb is about 2 1/4 across the knot and 1" over the scar. It kind of a Mollegabeth design and I put the knot on the fade to make it less of a problem i guess but I agree with you Fred about get the twist out where the knot is.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #222 on: January 25, 2016, 08:07:51 pm »
Jandersson,

With a crack like that I's be tempted to clean it out and fill it with a powdered antler and hide glue paste. You could probably even do it before attempting to heat correct. The heat should just warm up the glue allowing for some movement. Sorry I have no tips on steam bending. I dry heat correct for the most part.

If you want to experiment Simson fumes his bows with ammonia and says they get quite bendy while the ammonia is still in the wood. It may change the color but it supposedly make the wood like a wet noodle.

Oh and I say go ahead and join Fred, but you better not end up with the sweetest looking bow. :laugh:
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DuBois

« Reply #223 on: January 25, 2016, 08:08:25 pm »
Hey JA, how long has that lilac been dried? Just curious if that would make a dif on the heating.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #224 on: January 25, 2016, 08:09:46 pm »
Fred -

I am not sure what I will build - kinda thinking I might want to wait for my name to decide - if that is ok.  :-\  Have several options - hedge, mulberry, hackberry, ironwood, ERC, ash, hickory.  Also maybe thinking about a trilam if that is primitive enough.  Pics to come soon!

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch