Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 680498 times)

Offline jandersson

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #255 on: January 25, 2016, 11:34:30 pm »
mwosborn:
I could drop my peanut butter sandwich upside down on your work table and have no issues with finishing that sandwich.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #256 on: January 25, 2016, 11:36:28 pm »
Here are a couple of staves I am thinking about.  One is a White oak floor tillered stave I got in the Christmas trade.  It has already been through a few hands, so it might be a nice community project to get to a new bowyer.  The other is an elm stave from a neighbor's tree.  I haven't had much luck with this siberian elm so far, but this one is a different tree, and feels stronger than the others I have played with so far, and the stave is also cleaner.

the other picture is from last year's trade, and shows off my best bow so far, and my best side.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #257 on: January 25, 2016, 11:51:46 pm »
jandersson,

The antler will be a stronger patch. I prefer the powdered antler in most cases where taking stress is more important than the fill matching the wood color. If you don't have access to powdered antler, sawdust would be a suitable substitute, I wonder about bone meal, but have never used it so I can't make a recommendation. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline jandersson

« Reply #258 on: January 26, 2016, 12:04:08 am »
Dakota Kid,
Epoxy? Or is saying that like swearing in church in this neck of the woods?

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #259 on: January 26, 2016, 12:25:56 am »
Most epoxy won't be very flexible. Plus that stave's too pretty for epoxy. Sawdust or antler and hide glue or TB3 would be my choice.

It's not exactly swearing like mentioning FG, but it's close. :laugh:
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #260 on: January 26, 2016, 12:46:38 am »
I don't like the grain runoff towards the tips especially with that much twist. I'm hoping some of the more experienced members here jump in to give their opinions. Maybe hammertime, turtle, or one of the others guys will give their opinion.

It might be a good idea to post all of the pics in a new topic under the bows section. There are a lot of guys over there with vast experience with character staves that might not be checking on what we're doing here.

That's what I'd do before I tackled it.

Pearl Drums said he would help. You might PM him and get his opinion.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #261 on: January 26, 2016, 04:57:21 am »
Hope I sneaked in under the wire. Here are my stats: anything under 45# at 26 to 28" draw although I don't mind short bow and short draw, I'm a lefty and have no preference as to type or style, whatever my partner wants to make is fine by me.  This should be fun.

Not much of my stash is seasoned fully but

left to right, holly, split yew stave (mostly sap wood but might make nice take-down), blackthorn and hazel - the hazel is really lovely so thats most likely candidate at the moment

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:31:02 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline half eye

« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2016, 06:56:36 am »
Mr. Anderson,
        Looking at the picture of the belly side of your stave I believe that you can not successfully bend that limb laterally. I took the liberty of marking one of your pics to point out a grain sworel....it runs perpendicular to the knot on the bows back. Even on pristine wood you shouldn't try that bend because of the grain at that point.......
      Having said that I went back to your original picture where you are looking down the long axis and it sure does look like if you put a string from tip to tip it would be damned near center of the grip, and if thats so then you could steam to remove some propeller twist in the lever....and if a small amount of string alignment is needed then go to side string knocks......
      I cant see or touch your stave but to me I dont think you need a whole lot of movement. Just something to consider.
rich 

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #263 on: January 26, 2016, 07:33:18 am »
I agree Rich. If you leave the entire area stiff for levers and take out the twist you may have a good chance of making it work. IMO you should follow the grain as close as possible on the entire tip end. That's why I wanted to know how long it was.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #264 on: January 26, 2016, 07:48:03 am »
A little tweak at the handle can bring the tips right into alignment as well

Offline PatM

« Reply #265 on: January 26, 2016, 07:50:10 am »
Most epoxy won't be very flexible. Plus that stave's too pretty for epoxy. Sawdust or antler and hide glue or TB3 would be my choice.

It's not exactly swearing like mentioning FG, but it's close. :laugh:
Plenty of flexible types of Epoxy are available. Modern glue is modern glue. Epoxy is older than TB3 that's for sure.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #266 on: January 26, 2016, 07:58:38 am »
Started the process of making dome raw hide. Never have to much materials. Might even back my trade bow then lay some snake skins down on it.

Offline jandersson

« Reply #267 on: January 26, 2016, 08:12:53 am »
My wife calls me a lazy communicator and I think I've been that, I gotta think about what I'm saying with all these new terms. That half eye is pretty sharp, the string alignment is 1/4" from spot on. I think I'm good on the lateral plane as long as I get some propeller twist out as you say. I was afraid steaming the twist out could crack open the crevice but I like Dakota kid idea of gluing and wrapping to prevent that from happening.

Fred: I started a thread about it a week or two ago but didn't have much luck on the specifics of that area. I might just pm Pearl. (EDIT)I was a little to eager roughing it out a year or two ago or I tried to remove a check I don't remember but I've learnt since then. Yeah keeping it stiff is the plan!

Dakota Kid: Ok, I'm going hide glue keeping it natural :) Just gotta make some.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:21:17 am by jandersson »

Offline half eye

« Reply #268 on: January 26, 2016, 08:27:15 am »
Mr. Andersson, first off sorry about miss-spelling your name before. Before you get carried away with the prop twist....consider this. If you have a lever that does not bend and you shape it to a circle cross-section.....there is no prop twist. Propeller twist is the most offensive with a broad flat limb, on a skinny lever I have never had a problem.......between the levers cross section, and the normal string knock you will get a straight, even draw.......Levers can have different sections....square, oval, circular, even octagonal.
rich

Gutshot.....sweet .....you would not have snitched some young lady's deer hide would ya? >:D >:D
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #269 on: January 26, 2016, 08:47:15 am »
Half eye
           That's one of the few I have left that's mine. Lauren's  is next. She has requested a Rug with the hair left on for her room. So we are gonna get it fleshed and pickled before we ran that joker out, all while trying to get 3 bows made. There's just not enough time in the days any more. Lol