Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 681080 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #285 on: January 26, 2016, 01:05:59 pm »
Hey Fred, that stave in the center is terrible. Send to me for proper disposal.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2016, 01:09:58 pm »
Most of you guys have 2 or more staves in the mix. I'm going to the barn tonight and find a couple of more to chase a ring on. Unless it's ok to maybe use one I'm close to tillering out for a back up!

Offline half eye

« Reply #287 on: January 26, 2016, 01:12:47 pm »
Gutshot, whats the difference you made/making both of 'em. Dont make it harder than has to be 8)
rich

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #288 on: January 26, 2016, 01:25:36 pm »
Blaflair2,
the one in the middle is just waiting around for warmer weather. I do all of my stave work outdoors and I traded a bow to be made out of that osage for some wool coats that I gave my sons for Christmas. monkeyball has given me time to build it. I usually have 4 or 5 going at once.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #289 on: January 26, 2016, 01:31:00 pm »
Gutshot,

I would say having a back-up ready to go wouldn't be a bad idea, but I wouldn't spend too terribly much time getting a back-up ready.  Maybe just pick out a stave you'd like to work on and if you get to a point where you're waiting on something for your primary bow (like if you're bending the tips or getting tiller fatigue), that would be a good point to work on bow #2.

Just my $.02.  :)
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline jandersson

« Reply #290 on: January 26, 2016, 01:31:44 pm »
Mr. Andersson, first off sorry about miss-spelling your name before. Before you get carried away with the prop twist....consider this. If you have a lever that does not bend and you shape it to a circle cross-section.....there is no prop twist. Propeller twist is the most offensive with a broad flat limb, on a skinny lever I have never had a problem.......between the levers cross section, and the normal string knock you will get a straight, even draw.......Levers can have different sections....square, oval, circular, even octagonal.
rich

Gutshot.....sweet .....you would not have snitched some young lady's deer hide would ya? >:D >:D
rich

It's alright, everybody is dropping my double s, even the department of homeland security :)
And about the twists that is a good point! I'm learning a lot of new things everyday now.
Thank you Sir!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #291 on: January 26, 2016, 01:40:02 pm »
Haven't picked up the draw knife since hunting season. I've been out chasing tail. Whitetail. I got a few things going ATM. We'll see what make it. Wish I had more wood ready. But I'll be good.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline DuBois

« Reply #292 on: January 26, 2016, 02:13:25 pm »
Most of you guys have 2 or more staves in the mix. I'm going to the barn tonight and find a couple of more to chase a ring on. Unless it's ok to maybe use one I'm close to tillering out for a back up!

Man, just give most of these guys a reason to go pulling out all those staves they been eyeballin for a year or 2 and this is what happens. I already told my wife it's this guy named Fred's fault I have all this wood and splinters everywhere  >:D

Offline DuBois

« Reply #293 on: January 26, 2016, 02:16:37 pm »
Just an FYI: I am gonna be on the road Thursday or Friday am and won't be around computer much for a few days. I will take a camera and a couple of works in progress to scrape on a little.
I can see it will take a few hours just to catch up on reading once I get back.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #294 on: January 26, 2016, 02:39:47 pm »
Ajooter, that's looking great!!!
Uhhhh, I'm just working off the porch standing on the steps.....no table, no clamp.... :laugh: :laugh:

Fred, that's a beautifule workspace, and a lot of pretty gold on the floor...  :P drool.....

Well while my wife is gone I moved the whole operation indoors for a short time....steaming in deflex ......

(btw....thx Pearl Drums for the steaming method postings, thx Gordon for stave layout working build alongs)

Clamped:

I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline ajooter

« Reply #295 on: January 26, 2016, 03:40:14 pm »
Oh baby...you will be able to stretch the draw on that one need be.  How long is the stave right now?

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #296 on: January 26, 2016, 03:54:44 pm »
aj, 68" right now. Don't know who we're going to get until tomorrow, and so holding off on, length, weight .... bendy handle or not, too.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #297 on: January 26, 2016, 04:19:15 pm »
wow, took a minute to read through the thread.  I got to get my mitts on some wood!  I have one Osage stave that is drying, and I have a couple sticks of Ipe and some boo.  I'm going hunting tomorrow, going to collect some staves if I can find any, and then get them floor tillered and drying ASAP.  I might also be able to make a couple bows out of that Osage, I will take some pictures this evening for some opinions from the group.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline ajooter

« Reply #298 on: January 26, 2016, 04:47:37 pm »
Mine is just shy of 68"...top limb should give me no problems.  Bottom limb will be tricky to tiller that kink into a nice arc.  Will probably get to a short brace then give it a good heat treat.

Offline pincushin

« Reply #299 on: January 26, 2016, 05:18:02 pm »
Hey just wondering when the draw will be :)