Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 675871 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #360 on: January 27, 2016, 07:58:30 am »
Damn fine group of folks in this trade!!

Hey David E. Good to see you here buddy  ;)

Picked out a stave of black locust me and a friend cut 3 years ago. Got a ring chased. Check out that hump over the knot.

I have yet to make a BL bow except for the little one for my 4 yo boy. That is a sweet straight piece you got there.
Yes it is straight does it have any pin knots I can't tell

Offline DuBois

« Reply #361 on: January 27, 2016, 07:59:10 am »
J Anderson, I gotta know. How's that lilac move for ya? Steam work good so far?

You have one mighty clean kitchen with nice cookware by the way. You sure you're allowed in there?

Offline ajooter

« Reply #362 on: January 27, 2016, 08:21:01 am »

Got the second temporary nock done on the top limb....hand tillered the top limb using my bench vice....switched gears to another stave after getting my man's info...started roughing down another piece of hickory...got the rough front profile done and the first side taper layed out.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #363 on: January 27, 2016, 08:37:51 am »
well my draw knife bas busted on me (literally in two pieces.)  so I ordered a new one and it will be here this Friday. the old one I sent to a friend of mine who is a blacksmith here locally for the Kentucky derby horses. hopefully she is able to mend the two parts back together. that was my grandfathers draw knife from 1925. hope everyone is doing good on there trades.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #364 on: January 27, 2016, 09:03:58 am »
Wake up and barely got a cup of coffee and there's pages to read here!

Very pretty stave Sidmand!

Swampman, that's lookin like a nice bow already, Somebody is going to be a happy archer!

Ryan, makin a lot o shavings on that BL!

Nice lookin bow Loope. My first one ended up a kid's bow, but didn't start out that way. ::)

Dakota, I wish I'd caught that one! Always wanted to catch a big catfish. All we've got here is bull pout. Nice fish!

Timothy mulberry and HHB by hand at the same time -- I have a hard enough time chopping and scraping down just this one bow. When I get arm weary I take a pic and then sit down on the computer and post here. But reading all this stuff gets me back outside on the porch scraping again pretty quick. One thing to read about bows, another makin' them!

"But what can I say I'm living where I grew up and raising a Family in this small town," Gutshot, you have your priorities right!  I would be very proud to own a bow that you fit into that kind of tough schedule if that's how the cards play out.

jandersson, that is really shaping up nice, and the pic of the bow soup looks real familiar!

Fred, I just want to thank you for all this hard work and what must have been a really long evening. We're doing the fun work, you're the man making that all possible, and working smoothly. So one more thanks to you, and I hope you get to do some scraping and shaping, instead of just spreadsheet data entry and emailing soon!

Quickly shaping up ajooter. You're probably going to have a bow to shoot in a day or two, the rate you're going. :)

Kid, real sorry to hear about the drawknife since it was a family heirloom, Even if it can't be mended, you could always turn it into another bow tool, like a custom scraper, with some thought. Here's hoping the blacksmith can weld it back good as old!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline jandersson

« Reply #365 on: January 27, 2016, 09:08:06 am »
J Anderson, I gotta know. How's that lilac move for ya? Steam work good so far?

You have one mighty clean kitchen with nice cookware by the way. You sure you're allowed in there?

DuBois:
Still in clamps. I'll let you know tonight when I get home from work. Are you working on yours?
And she was asleep :)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #366 on: January 27, 2016, 09:21:27 am »
Hey guys,

One of my staves has some violations on the back. It's the rock elm. Can I get away without a backing on a violated elm? It has interlocking grain but not as locked as HHB, which I've left un-backed after removing wood.

I'd throw some rawhide on it, but don't have any at the moment. I can use linen if the consensus is to back it. In fact I could airbrush the linen first. I may go that way just to try something new. I can do a mean snakeskin with my airbrush. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline ajooter

« Reply #367 on: January 27, 2016, 09:26:20 am »
Hey kid...I'm ordering a whole goat skin that I'm going to cut strips out of.  Let me know what you need and I send it your way.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #368 on: January 27, 2016, 09:37:33 am »
Looks like you guys got up earlier than I did this morning huh?
I've been going over my list and am finishing it up this morning. Have to run to the post office to get a package off. If you don't receive a PM with your victim this morning make sure to PM me. I've already caught a couple I missed. I've only got another 6 to send out (I think).
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #369 on: January 27, 2016, 09:38:50 am »
I'll let you know if I need it. Thanks my friend. The more I think about painting the linen with a snakeskin I may have to give it a try. I'll see if I can find a pic of one of the guns I painted.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #370 on: January 27, 2016, 09:47:13 am »
When we get our name? And when is the deadline.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Otter

« Reply #371 on: January 27, 2016, 09:51:15 am »
Ok please tell me how to post pictures on here I'm about ready to pull my hair out lol

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #372 on: January 27, 2016, 09:55:27 am »
Ok please tell me how to post pictures on here I'm about ready to pull my hair out lol

I use photobucket. Just upload the pictures there, and use the link for forums to post here. Just copy and paste it.
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline Otter

« Reply #373 on: January 27, 2016, 09:57:58 am »
I'll try

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #374 on: January 27, 2016, 10:02:47 am »
When we get our name? And when is the deadline.

From what I've ready, if you didn't receive a name, then either you or the person who you drew hasn't participated enough (namely, posting a piece of wood that will be the trade bow)... unless Fred is still catching the ones who slipped through the cracks.  I'm sure he will get it done soon!  The deadline is officially the middle of August for the ship date, but there has been mention of no bows being shipped out until every maker has completed a bow.

Well, seeing all the progress so far is quite something!  I will definitely try to sneak in some time to at least get the osage and bamboo roughly shaped.  Now that I have my trade's stats, I know where to go.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."