Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 675924 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #450 on: January 28, 2016, 12:03:26 pm »
Cock a doodle doo. That's my rooster outside saying get up its 3:45 And tell your trade buddies good morning from KY.  Waiting on the black brew to get done and gonna head to work. Let's see the to do list includes going to work BOO! Coming home tonight work on a bow and raw hide YAA!  Hope to see lots of chatter on here today it makes the day go by quicker.

I wish the rooster next door only did that at daybreak. It cock a doodle doos all day and night. I may use the new bow when its done just to shut it up. Lol!! ;D
I'm coming close to craming a beer up this ones but and throwing it on the smoker for supper this weekend. Just can't tell the kids till we're done eating it

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #451 on: January 28, 2016, 12:04:41 pm »
Half eye, don't let that Avalanche fall on you going in and out of the shop. Lol

Offline kid bow

« Reply #452 on: January 28, 2016, 12:21:39 pm »
got my draw knife I ordered in the mail. I found a stave of hackberry to use instead of the osage orange. I don't think its even done curing yet so no point in giving someone a half ass bow. this hackberry was cut on valentines day of last year so it should be good to go. thinking of naming it cupids bow and painting it pink >:) lol we will see how many splinters I get from it before I decide to do so.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline rps3

« Reply #453 on: January 28, 2016, 12:42:34 pm »
Gutshot, i just made this string last night for a hackberry I am finishing up. Not pink and green, but neon green and orange...pretty close, but no watermelon.

Offline cabinetbowguy

« Reply #454 on: January 28, 2016, 01:07:24 pm »
Clamped and now dry trilam hickory  backed
Amen

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #455 on: January 28, 2016, 01:20:29 pm »
Hey kid  ;)

Here's a thin ringed osage w/ some red cut 2 yrs ago that I'm going to use for my trade bow 61" and 1 1/2" thick at the narrowest part in the handle area. I like working with wider shallow limbs and might rawhide back this one because I'm leaving some sapwood intact.

And just finished my session on the black walnut so I should be able to tiller it out close and then start the sinew.

Mail Lady "Pam" just knocked on the shop door and gave me a big surprise. I purchased 3 Yew staves from Canada and I'm really anxious to open the package. Gota Go!!!
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #456 on: January 28, 2016, 01:41:33 pm »
Gutshot, i just made this string last night for a hackberry I am finishing up. Not pink and green, but neon green and orange...pretty close, but no watermelon.

That's cool I will get a pic of the watermelon string tonight on here it's lime green and hot pink. This might start a trend every body might make some sort of a pink string

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #457 on: January 28, 2016, 01:57:37 pm »
Alright boys, do i steam or dry heat this twist out? It runs into the handle. Oh , and here's my ugly mug.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #458 on: January 28, 2016, 01:59:35 pm »
Don't know why my mugshot is so small, but that's prolly a good thing.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #459 on: January 28, 2016, 02:04:04 pm »
Got a lil more done on the ERC molle. Got it pretty well floor tillered and and just glued on some walnut overlays. Next to sand, brace it, then sinew. I havnt made an ERC bow before and this stuff is easy to work except that the heart wood likes to tear out bad. It takes a surprising amount of wood to make these guys stiff. I can't wait to see what the sinew does to it.

Kyle

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #460 on: January 28, 2016, 02:16:47 pm »
Hey Mo I bet that shops smelling good. That stave is coming around nicely too.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #461 on: January 28, 2016, 02:44:51 pm »
It does make it smell awesome. I feel like I'm going to have to play wth ERC more often.

Kyle

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #462 on: January 28, 2016, 03:03:41 pm »
Alright boys, do i steam or dry heat this twist out? It runs into the handle. Oh , and here's my ugly mug.

Perhaps I'm not following closely enough, ...but please tell us the specs (length/width/desired draw weight), degrees/amount of twist you want to remove, and wood type you are working with in order to get a better answer.

From your picture - it appears to be a white wood, most of which respond very well to steam or boiling.  If you have the rig to do it, steam the entire limb that you need to move.  Leave it in the steam a good deal past the time you might instinctively expect it to need to take.  You want the heat to evenly penetrate into the full thickness of the wood that you need to move and going too long in the steam will not likely hurt anything.  Have your clamps and bending caul etc. all setup and adjusted to near fit prior to taking the bow out of the steam.  Depending upon the wood type it will have a varied propensity to recover it's original bend.  Ash and Honey locust for example do not seem to know how to keep the new shape you induce with heat or steam.  If you are making the correction primarily in the handle area, which is often a good idea, you might keep the heat gun handy to persuade the new shape to hold once you get it to move.  I'm told you only need to leave it in the caul until the wood is cool, but I generally always leave it over night, ...just in case.  then you'll want to let the wood re-stabilize for humidity before stressing it or you may immediately pull out the correction you induced.

Hope this helps...

OneBow

Offline jandersson

« Reply #463 on: January 28, 2016, 03:10:40 pm »
Hey guys,
I just got back from the lumberyard and saw some wood that looks just like what you got right there but they call it Aromatic cedar or Tennessee Cedar. Is that the same thing as ERC?

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #464 on: January 28, 2016, 03:17:39 pm »
Onebow, the wood is hackberry. 64" long, 1 5/8" til mid limb taper to 1/2" at tips. Lookin for 55#
DevilsBeachSelfbows