Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 688956 times)

Offline Onebowonder

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #465 on: January 28, 2016, 03:18:21 pm »
Kyle - Does the area I circled here concern you for this bow?  -  OneBow
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:20:11 pm by Onebowonder »

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #466 on: January 28, 2016, 03:22:14 pm »
Hey guys,
I just got back from the lumberyard and saw some wood that looks just like what you got right there but they call it Aromatic cedar or Tennessee Cedar. Is that the same thing as ERC?
I am 95% sure it is.
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #467 on: January 28, 2016, 03:33:54 pm »
Otter came over today and we pulled the band saw out of the stave shed and put Iit and our outside bow vise into my shop. Got my billets roughed out and Otter chased a ring on a osage stave. I stole the belly split off of his stave and chased a ring on it while he was laying out his profile. It will be my plan b. We took time to eat and write this so back to the shop we go.

I left a lot of width around this knot.

Otters stave is the one on the left.

Steve Bennett

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #468 on: January 28, 2016, 03:36:47 pm »
David. Oklahoma has some ERC growing east of olkmulgee. I go there and visit some friends there and it's on there ranch along with lots of Osage. They call it bodark there. You should be able to find some growing around OKC. They told me they hate the cedar

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #469 on: January 28, 2016, 03:46:24 pm »
Onebow, the wood is hackberry. 64" long, 1 5/8" til mid limb taper to 1/2" at tips. Lookin for 55#

Well, hackberry is not a wood I have done much with, but I do know that it responds to dry heat quite well.  So, you could do either one you wish probably.  I'd still prefer to use steam or boiling, but heat should do well also.  If the wood is still green or not very seasoned, then I'd be even more inclined toward steam.

I did not mention before - but you likely already know - you have to bend beyond the point that you want to end up with especially on the white woods.  So, if you want 20 degrees of twist taken out, you might untwist the wood to beyond the point you need it to go, to say 30 degrees, or 10 degrees over.  If it doesn't immediately give back the right amount after working the limb some, you'll have to adjust it back a bit.

Hackberry also responds well to heat treating the belly.  So after you get your twist out, you can likely set the change you made pretty effectively by heat treating the belly while it's in the caul.

OneBow

Offline Badger

« Reply #470 on: January 28, 2016, 03:46:53 pm »
Alright boys, do i steam or dry heat this twist out? It runs into the handle. Oh , and here's my ugly mug.

I would only worry about the twist as it relates the the string lining up with the handle, in other words brace the bow and see how the string intersect your arrow pass. If it doesn't need to move much I would use dry heat, if it has to move much more than 1" I would steam.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #471 on: January 28, 2016, 04:48:10 pm »
I got some temp nocks on and a long string off another bow and shot 30 arrows. Might do a little more heating -- the stave has some character which I'm not sure I want to take out completely. Looks like I'll make weight. Shoots nice so far, and it's a very light bow  in the hand -- a little over 15 oz. on the scale on 63" overall. I need to make a new string tonight and do some more looking and shooting.

I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline half eye

« Reply #472 on: January 28, 2016, 04:52:26 pm »
Damned fellas, all of you guys are smokin......I better get my butt in the saddle, hey the old guy aint used to being behind 8) 8)
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #473 on: January 28, 2016, 05:49:12 pm »
Locus loves the heat

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #474 on: January 28, 2016, 06:04:28 pm »
Onebowonder, is that in the center of your working limb? If it is there might be a couple alternatives. I looked at your other pics and see where it's located. I wouldn't leave it as is and IMO you should be able to find a way to stabilize it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:09:22 pm by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Otter

« Reply #475 on: January 28, 2016, 06:06:33 pm »
 I picked out the Osage that was debarked, I split the stave middle ways and made two stave's, this was already from a belly split. Turtle went a head and took the belly split from this stave.   
[/U

Offline Otter

« Reply #476 on: January 28, 2016, 06:09:56 pm »
 I then chased a growth ring and made the stave 67" long, my stave is on the left, sister stave to mine in middle and vine Mable billets are turtles.     

Offline Otter

« Reply #477 on: January 28, 2016, 06:12:47 pm »
I made a guide to make a paramid limbs.   

Offline Otter

« Reply #478 on: January 28, 2016, 06:17:12 pm »

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #479 on: January 28, 2016, 06:19:12 pm »
Onebowonder, is that in the center of your working limb? If it is there might be a couple alternatives. I looked at your other pics and see where it's located. I wouldn't leave it as is and IMO you should be able to find a way to stabilize it.

That's actually Mo_Coon's bow there Fred.  It looks like it is in the middle of his Molly's limb.  Much of it may come off as the tillering goes on.  I'm just concerned that the grain may sworl too much around those two knots to be made stable enough, ...but he has a better view of it than we do.  ERC is notorious for issues with the grain causing excitement!  ( I almost typed EXCRIMENT there which would also be true oddly enough!  >:D :o ::) ) He does plan to sinew back it, which will help a lot of issues out as well.

OneBow