Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 680181 times)

Offline dylanholderman

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #495 on: January 28, 2016, 07:40:32 pm »
gutshot thats a pretty cool looking string :) i think i'll have to try making one myself(is it a endless loop style string?)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #496 on: January 28, 2016, 07:43:30 pm »
Otter and Turtle, you guys are cookin!

Half eye, where are you getting all that snow? Still haven't plowed once yet this year in Vermont! Not thaat I'm complaining........ but it's weird!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #497 on: January 28, 2016, 07:48:11 pm »
Nice lookin caul and blank, gutshot!

Offline half eye

« Reply #498 on: January 28, 2016, 07:49:55 pm »
PlanB,
     Northern Lower MI......about where the tip of you ring finger is.....we get system snow and lake effect both. If I'm lucky on normal winters snowblow once a day....here lately twice a day.
rich

Offline Otter

« Reply #499 on: January 28, 2016, 07:50:03 pm »
I'm going to work on a hhb stave tomorrow some for back up plan just in case I have a miss hap  :o

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #500 on: January 28, 2016, 07:54:44 pm »
Hey guys I just went back to page 20 to look over what's been shown so far and see if we left any questions unanswered and there's a lot of nice staves and work being done here. Awesome

Dylan I think I'd clamp it to a caul or even a 2 x 4 and heat some of the dippety doos out of it. It will make it much easier to align and tiller.

And half eye, I've seen you whip out bows so fast that if you started when we did we'd never catch up with you
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:59:39 pm by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #501 on: January 28, 2016, 08:00:18 pm »
Man your crushing B....I was wondering how much you were going to deflex it and then reflex your tips.  I have started a second stave after getting my guy and I'm thinking of doing the same.  The stave is 64"....I may go a little heavier on the deflex reflex.  Have you made bows with more deflex then what you put in this one?

Coming along nicely otter....I've only worked one osage and it was quite a pleasure.  I like you pyramid layout.  It can be hard to layout a pyramid profile on a bow.

Offline Otter

« Reply #502 on: January 28, 2016, 08:08:56 pm »
Man your crushing B....I was wondering how much you were going to deflex it and then reflex your tips.  I have started a second stave after getting my guy and I'm thinking of doing the same.  The stave is 64"....I may go a little heavier on the deflex reflex.  Have you made bows with more deflex then what you put in this one?

Coming along nicely otter....I've only worked one osage and it was quite a pleasure.  I like you pyramid layout.  It can be hard to layout a pyramid profile on a bow.
Where you at on the map ajooter ? I've only made six successful bows so far  :o  and five of them were Osage.. I'm in Ohio and there's plenty of it... I made one bow out of hhb given to me at the classic in Tennessee couple years ago ... At that said I pray this will be lucky number 7 and my best one lol.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #503 on: January 28, 2016, 08:20:39 pm »
Ajooter, I had wanted more deflex, but I don't think I steamed it long enough -- went 45 minutes. Next time an hour. But then black birch is an unknown anyway as far as steaming goes -- I'm just learning what it can and can't do with it.

This is the first BB stave bow I've done,.Before, I did a board bow and a sapling bow with it. It runs clear if the tree is any size -- it must drop branches very early in the woods. It's a very dense high stiffness wood, so you have to tiller down thin if the limbs are whitewood width.

Birch is supposed to make a good bow for cold weather, and I've shot my other bb bows this winter without problems. It makes a light bow that seems to hold its shape well and I think it's a pretty fast wood. It rings noticeably when you tap it with a knuckle. My elm bow doesn't do that as much.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #504 on: January 28, 2016, 08:24:12 pm »
I'm in albany ny...I got my stave from sidewinder when he was sending them out.  I had a friend going to Missouri every year to hunt bUT I think that's over for now.  I would like get my hands on some hhb...I know where there's a stash  ;).

I walloped my hand with a hammer today so I'm going to take a day or two off.  I'm gonna post some progress aND pics tonight with a couple ?s.

I did some work in Elyria oh a couple years ago....biggest deer I've ever seen with my own eyes that's for sure!

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #505 on: January 28, 2016, 08:27:03 pm »
Ajooter if you're in Albany, you're not very far from me. I'm in the SE corner of VT.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #506 on: January 28, 2016, 08:27:43 pm »
You guys are flyin!  :o   Some nice looking bows coming along - hackberry, ERC, osage, hickory .... lots of different kinds of wood.  I love it.

Figured I better get my butt in gear and at least pick out some stuff!  :-[

Going to start on two and see where it goes...

First one is hackberry cut in 2011.  Have it roughed out and just starting to work it down.  1 3/4" parallel limbs to just about mid-limb and then tapered to 1/2" at tips.  Looking at 66" ntn.  Plan on heating a little bit of reflex into it before tillering.

Second one is new for me.  Going to try a trilam bow - hickory backed - hard maple belly and core.  Want to make a form of some kind that I can use to put in a bit of deflex out of the handle and the some mild reflex to tips.  Thinking 66" on this one also and similar limb profile as #1.  Need to make a jig so that I can grind the lams down to correct thickness.  Lots to do!!!

Do you think the grain looks ok on the hickory backing?

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline kid bow

« Reply #507 on: January 28, 2016, 08:30:39 pm »

this little stave was taken down due to a knot that would  have literally destroyed the bow. so I think I'm going to sinew back this
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #508 on: January 28, 2016, 08:33:47 pm »
Ok, where's everybody from? I'm in Lambertville, Michigan. Sittin on top of Toledo, Ohio. Right on the border.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #509 on: January 28, 2016, 08:34:39 pm »
Kid Bow, your workbench is shaped just like mine!