Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 676123 times)

Offline kid bow

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #510 on: January 28, 2016, 08:40:28 pm »
Kid Bow, your workbench is shaped just like mine!
haha funny how that happens isn't it.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #511 on: January 28, 2016, 08:41:01 pm »
South eastern Ohio.  About twenty miles up the Muskingum river from the Ohio river.
Steve Bennett

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #512 on: January 28, 2016, 08:48:27 pm »
gutshot thats a pretty cool looking string :) i think i'll have to try making one myself(is it a endless loop style string?)

I don't even know what a endless loop string is.  I just make strings and so does my little girl. It might be a endless loop. Lol

Offline half eye

« Reply #513 on: January 28, 2016, 08:54:58 pm »
MW...that hick grain is gorgeous

Stix, I'm in between Traverse City and Harbor Springs.(northwest lower)....we are the hill-billies not the millionaires >:D

Plan B, you should make a screamer, I made real decent bows from yellow birch and black is a bunch tougher.

Kid Bow, ya gonna need a real big rat-trap for the critter that left them chips....never mind he done left a real fine draw knife behind 8) 8) 8)
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #514 on: January 28, 2016, 09:02:03 pm »
I'm from Pulaski co Kentucky South east portion. We are known for Lake Cumberland. You Ohio guys know where that is don't ya?

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #515 on: January 28, 2016, 09:04:39 pm »
Half eye, i'd rather hang with the hillbillies than the millionaires anyday, got an idea where your at. I hunt around Mio, not real far from ya. I've hunted around u to Turtle, in Rio Grande.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #516 on: January 28, 2016, 09:20:04 pm »
Ok, where's everybody from? I'm in Lambertville, Michigan. Sittin on top of Toledo, Ohio. Right on the border.
I am living in Pleasant grove, Utah--just south of Salt Lake City.  I grew up in southern Utah and have lived in Cincinnati Ohio, East Germany (mostly Berlin), Columbia Missouri, and San Angelo Texas.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #517 on: January 28, 2016, 09:27:09 pm »
Got my vine maple billets ready to cut the splice. Glued a sacrificial ply board and a paper template to each one with school glue.

Will cut them out on the bandsaw tomorrow.
Steve Bennett

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #518 on: January 28, 2016, 09:41:13 pm »
I'm in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma! ;)
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #519 on: January 28, 2016, 09:42:38 pm »
turtle, I like that. I haven't seen or tried  plywood used before. Now I see how to keep my splices from turning on me.

I'm just west of Elba, NE. Population 215?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:46:59 pm by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Otter

« Reply #520 on: January 28, 2016, 09:46:44 pm »
I'm from southeastern Ohio and neighbor to Turtle where brothers... I tell everyone he's my big brother.. Lol

Offline jandersson

« Reply #521 on: January 28, 2016, 09:55:24 pm »
It's great fun to see all these updates, it makes me wanna call in sick tomorrow so I can work on mine!
Great work folks!

I've got 4" of natural reflex in my piece. Is that to much to start with? I have a vague memory of reading somewhere you could get into trouble starting with that much reflex but I don't remember why.

J

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #522 on: January 28, 2016, 10:27:41 pm »
I am from Albion, NE.  About a 100 miles northwest of Omaha.

Half eye - I though the hickory board looked good when I bought it too.  We will see!

Turtle - I have never made a bow with billets before - I am learning from you!!!

Andersson - that baby has some serious reflex.  From my experience that much reflex makes them a little trickery to get to brace.  Once you get there and get a good tiller, it should really zip an arrow!

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline sleek

« Reply #523 on: January 28, 2016, 10:33:54 pm »
It's great fun to see all these updates, it makes me wanna call in sick tomorrow so I can work on mine!
Great work folks!

I've got 4" of natural reflex in my piece. Is that to much to start with? I have a vague memory of reading somewhere you could get into trouble starting with that much reflex but I don't remember why.

J

How long and wide is that osage? Whats it rings look like? I been wanting a piece very close to that for a bit. Might trade ya for another bit that you may like better?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #524 on: January 28, 2016, 10:35:06 pm »
I live in Wabasha, MN.  If any of you have seen the Grumpy Old Men movie, that is where the movie took place.  It is in SE MN along the Mississippi. 

I took the profile of the BL down to my lines and glued on Black Walnut top overlays tonight.  I found and area of concern on the back and decided to back it with rawhide.  Anyone have experience putting rawhide over a small raised knot?