Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 676081 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #525 on: January 28, 2016, 10:41:28 pm »
Works fine buddy....make sure you soak it long enough so it's nice and pliable.  Clay Hayes does a nice demo on YouTube.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #526 on: January 28, 2016, 10:44:16 pm »
Guys I just got off work and I'm officially on vacation for 7 days.  I'm from Wilson Oklahoma about 100 miles south of okc Oklahoma.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline jandersson

« Reply #527 on: January 28, 2016, 10:48:11 pm »
Columbia Heights/Minneapolis MN here!
Swampman: Good to see a fellow Minnesotan! :)
Sleek: Lilac baby, lilac.  ;) Still want it?
mwosborn: Nothing worse then tricky to brace? Well then, good to go!

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #528 on: January 28, 2016, 10:55:47 pm »
I'm gonna be MIA for the next couple days. We finally have fishable ice on the bay(Erie PA) with rain coming Sunday. I have about 36 hours of perch fishing in my future before the ice isn't safe. I throw up some pics of my catch on Sunday. Snuck out for a  3 hour scouting trip earlier and caught 12 keepers so the bite is good.

I have two of my staves roughed out and will posts pics of those as well. But first... I have to fill the freezer while I can.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #529 on: January 28, 2016, 10:56:18 pm »
Swampman, If you have some thin superglue, I'd put a drop on it, if it soaks completely in add another drop and so forth continuing until it will absorb no more. Don't add too fast or any more than you need to or it will just run where you don't want or need it.

I actually let my first drop dry and sand lightly over it. If it's not filled then the sawdust will settle into the crevice, leave it there and add another small drop, repeat the process as necessary. In the end just lightly sand it in to feather out smoothly. You should be good to go.

I've actually done the same thing with wood glue and sawdust mixed together to fill any crevices but like to at least soak the pin drops with a drop of superglue.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #530 on: January 28, 2016, 10:57:43 pm »
The second stave I was working on had a large knot on the side of the limb that I end up losing in the final layout of the bow.  I'm questioning the grain swirls that were left behind and wondering if they will hold up.  Also the side profile is very different due to the knot removal as seen in the pictures. 

Also I would like to deflex the handle and add some reflex to the tips.  There is a knot about 7" down from one of the tips directly centered in the limb.  I'm wondering how it will affect the limb being reflexed? If it will pose a problem.

Knot

Former knot location grain swirl

Side taper 1

Side taper 2

Knot near limb tip

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #531 on: January 28, 2016, 11:18:19 pm »
I am from Albion, NE.  About a 100 miles northwest of Omaha.

Half eye - I though the hickory board looked good when I bought it too.  We will see!

Turtle - I have never made a bow with billets before - I am learning from you!!!

Andersson - that baby has some serious reflex.  From my experience that much reflex makes them a little trickery to get to brace.  Once you get there and get a good tiller, it should really zip an arrow!

I spliced half of two different failed bows together once, but this is my first time working with actual billets. Im just hoping I don't screw it up. ???
Steve Bennett

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #532 on: January 29, 2016, 12:20:25 am »
Swampman, If you have some thin superglue, I'd put a drop on it, if it soaks completely in add another drop and so forth continuing until it will absorb no more. Don't add too fast or any more than you need to or it will just run where you don't want or need it.

I actually let my first drop dry and sand lightly over it. If it's not filled then the sawdust will settle into the crevice, leave it there and add another small drop, repeat the process as necessary. In the end just lightly sand it in to feather out smoothly. You should be good to go.

I've actually done the same thing with wood glue and sawdust mixed together to fill any crevices but like to at least soak the pin drops with a drop of superglue.

Thanks Fred.  That makes good sense.  I will try that.  The area of concern is actually on the back at the handle.  The grain dipped in so I was using my gooseneck scraper to follow the ring.  I dipped in a little to far.  It is in a non bending area so I should be good but I am going to add rawhide just to be safe.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #533 on: January 29, 2016, 04:36:51 am »
I live in Wabasha, MN.  If any of you have seen the Grumpy Old Men movie, that is where the movie took place.  It is in SE MN along the Mississippi. 

I took the profile of the BL down to my lines and glued on Black Walnut top overlays tonight.  I found and area of concern on the back and decided to back it with rawhide.  Anyone have experience putting rawhide over a small raised knot? 

Those pin knots are agrivating. im also working with BL. Since your backing it could you just shave the pin knots off? What about it Half eye and Fred?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:45:55 am by Gutshot »

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #534 on: January 29, 2016, 04:47:15 am »
Good morning bow traders. The coffee is almost done brewing. Time to get after it.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #535 on: January 29, 2016, 06:06:42 am »
Hey guys can any of you teach me how to use the "quotes" without adding the photos back in? I'm computer illiterate and adding the same pics just seems to take up needed space.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #536 on: January 29, 2016, 06:25:53 am »
Just delete the picture links in the quoted text and they won't show up fred.

Offline half eye

« Reply #537 on: January 29, 2016, 06:34:40 am »
Fred, I'm not for sure but believe if you right click and hold (pass over what ever you want to highlight) you can simply highlight what part you want to insert.......thats coming from a fella in the same spot as you.

Gutshot,  can you say how that knot runs, straight through, sloped etc.....anyways rawhide will probably keep it good.....if the knot is solid thats good too....the knot will not have compression issues so it may not collapse fromcompression

AJ, if that is ironwood (hhb) leave the whoopy-to-do will not effect anything....the knott in the centerlineof the bow wont matter either that pic where you went around it at the edge....I have sawn straight through knotts like that and just dressed like they were not there and had no permormance issues.....this is on/in Hop Hornbeam mind you. I know your a hatchet guy. Could you get a couple different angle's on that knot and please correct me on the wood.

I'm diggin out of an hr. or so and gettin after it.
rich

Offline ajooter

« Reply #538 on: January 29, 2016, 07:42:38 am »
It's actually hickory rich.  I'll try and get a different pic of it at another angle.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #539 on: January 29, 2016, 08:32:18 am »
Hey guys can any of you teach me how to use the "quotes" without adding the photos back in? I'm computer illiterate and adding the same pics just seems to take up needed space.

Fred, ind the pics in your quoted message. They will have [img] tags around them. highlight them and then delete. Done.

I love it when a plan B comes together....