Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 676006 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #540 on: January 29, 2016, 10:08:26 am »
Hey guys a couple of updates:

#1 My local phone company has been having problems with their email system. It was down last weekend and they still haven't got it fixed. I've been informed by them:

"Recently we had a planned maintenance to upgrade our mail server system
to a new server, things unfortunately didn't go as planned and we have
to reschedule the maintenance. As the amount of email we're hosting has
increased we are forced to extend the amount of downtime to ensure that
there are no omissions or errors in copying user's email to the new
system.

We will be performing this maintenance starting Friday, February 5th at
6pm and will be done before Monday February 8th at 7am. The purpose of
this upgrade is to address the recent "slowness" of the email system, in
particular the webmail portals. We are completely aware that there is
an issue and this upcoming maintenance will remedy the situation.

We thank you for your continued patience during these maintenance
windows as we strive to provide the best possible services."

Thank you!

#2  We've a few individuals who are not participating as they should. I've sent out a few PM's asking those individuals who are making bows for these guys to slow down a bit. We may have to do some shuffling on some names. No biggie. I'm not going to have a few slackers ruin this years trade for everybody else. I'm going to eliminate it early so we have less chance of surprises at the end.

You guys are doing a tremendous job. Keep it up and thanks again for participating.

Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #541 on: January 29, 2016, 11:12:04 am »

#2  We've a few individuals who are not participating as they should. I've sent out a few PM's asking those individuals who are making bows for these guys to slow down a bit. We may have to do some shuffling on some names. No biggie. I'm not going to have a few slackers ruin this years trade for everybody else. I'm going to eliminate it early so we have less chance of surprises at the end.

You guys are doing a tremendous job. Keep it up and thanks again for participating.

Fred

That's great management Fred......thank you for all your work to make this a huge success.

Drew
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #542 on: January 29, 2016, 11:34:48 am »
I've got 2 sick girls at home today with what looks like a stomach bug.  With 6 kids plus me and the missus, if it is a stomach bug, I'm likely to be praying for the sweet release of death in the next day or so.  But, God willing, I'm going to split out that Osage stave this weekend, and hopefully come out with two good solid pieces for some half eye inspired semi-short bows, and maybe even a good belly split that I can back with boo.  Will post pics regarding that work when I can, yall cross your fingers that our whole family ain't hugging the porcelain all weekend.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #543 on: January 29, 2016, 11:39:47 am »
Cut out the bad before it infects the whole bunch Fred. Good call muchacho'.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #544 on: January 29, 2016, 11:46:39 am »
Sidmand, you're doing fine. You take care of those girls, they come first in my book. We're glad to have you. Get back to us when you can.
Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #545 on: January 29, 2016, 12:01:07 pm »
Little update here:  I got my splice for my osage in a good spot, but I'm a little doubtful about my glue of choice.  I was initially going to use TBIII, but as I want to make this as bombproof as possible.  I'm going to order some Smooth On, since it seems to be a pretty highly recommended and used epoxy for bowmaking.

I will still work on getting the bow rough shaped and the bamboo tapered over the next few days!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #546 on: January 29, 2016, 12:24:58 pm »
Little update here:  I got my splice for my osage in a good spot, but I'm a little doubtful about my glue of choice.  I was initially going to use TBIII, but as I want to make this as bombproof as possible.  I'm going to order some Smooth On, since it seems to be a pretty highly recommended and used epoxy for bowmaking.

I use smooth on. A little goes a long way. And holds awesome!

Offline half eye

« Reply #547 on: January 29, 2016, 12:34:27 pm »
OK fellas,
     Just "in case" we are adding one new person to cover any difficulties. Wont be any changes in who got who.......look for the new postings picture, pics of staves work progress etc etc This is without doubt the best damned trade to date.....so thanks to all of you. Whole lot of "firsts" going on here and personally I wish to thank all of you people for the great attitudes and hard work.
rich

Offline pincushin

« Reply #548 on: January 29, 2016, 01:54:12 pm »
That sounds good, Rich  :)  :)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #549 on: January 29, 2016, 02:28:33 pm »
What do y'all think about mulberry billets?  These have been drying with the bark on for 9 month. You think that's long enough I don't have a moisture meter. 
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Otter

« Reply #550 on: January 29, 2016, 02:33:23 pm »
What do y'all think about mulberry billets?  These have been drying with the bark on for 9 month. You think that's long enough I don't have a moisture meter.
I'd go ahead and work them down to floor tillering then keep them in your house or heat box for about three weeks and go and splice and tiller

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #551 on: January 29, 2016, 03:16:13 pm »
anyone ever use the Harbor Freight moisture meters?  I'm going to try and pick one up this weekend to see where my stave is at - it's only around 15 bucks and I got a coupon somewhere for 20% off.  Anyone have one?  Are they worth it at all?
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #552 on: January 29, 2016, 03:34:22 pm »
anyone ever use the Harbor Freight moisture meters?  I'm going to try and pick one up this weekend to see where my stave is at - it's only around 15 bucks and I got a coupon somewhere for 20% off.  Anyone have one?  Are they worth it at all?

I don't have any experience with the HB moisture but do have a pin type meter I purchased years ago online. Only used it a couple of times. It shows surface moisture but doesn't tell you what's going on deeper in the wood. If I'm not
positive that the stave is dry I will take it to rough floor tiller and then keep it in the house for 2 or 3 weeks to let it stabilize. You can also weigh it every few days untill it stops losing weight.
Steve Bennett

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #553 on: January 29, 2016, 03:35:37 pm »
Yes Score bonus for me and the guy on the other end of this trade. There will be arrows made now for the bow I'm making. Found these in the bed of my truck today.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #554 on: January 29, 2016, 03:48:35 pm »
turtle, I like that. I haven't seen or tried  plywood used before. Now I see how to keep my splices from turning on me.

Yeah.......... I need all the help I can when I try to make fine cuts.  :o
Steve Bennett