Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 688759 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #675 on: January 30, 2016, 09:41:22 pm »
I use tb3 or tb2 with sawdust.. I think superglue might set up kind of fast and not mix well.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #676 on: January 30, 2016, 09:44:39 pm »
I use tb3 or tb2 with sawdust.. I think superglue might set up kind of fast and not mix well.

That's a good idea thanks I'll give that a try. I've got more tb3 anyway!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #677 on: January 30, 2016, 10:03:23 pm »
If you use slow set epoxy or wood glue you mix and then patch. If you use sg then you pack the hole with dry sawdust and then saturate with sg.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #678 on: January 31, 2016, 01:04:00 am »
Well, I made some progress tonight, too!

Here's a glamour shot of some osage shavings from getting the side profile to size.

I managed to get the limbs roughed out on the sides tonight.  I won't be able to do much tomorrow, but Monday (Sundays and Mondays are my weekend) I will hopefully get the belly roughed out.

I also ordered some Smooth On, so as soon as that gets here, the real fun begins!  >:D

Also, as a side note, occasionally for my job, I will have to fill in cracks, chips, and holes in wooden clarinets.  Mixing CA glue with dust from the original wood does a fine job of making a patch.  I will alternate putting sawdust in the hole with putting some CA glue on the dust, then pack it in, until there is a slight mound.  You can then sand the patch down.  By the time you stain and finish it, it's damn hard to tell there was anything wrong with the wood.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #679 on: January 31, 2016, 10:05:37 am »
Got my stave split in 2, now I got a stave and a backup!  I will have some followup questions regarding the rings on this stave, but for now, I wanted to show progress.

First 3 pics show my centerline tool and the actual line.

Here is my kerfing and splitting tool selection, and the kerf.

Lets get to splitting!

"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline half eye

« Reply #680 on: January 31, 2016, 10:15:18 am »
TY and Sidmand.....Man you fellas get after it dont ya....Some fine and picky work right there gentlemen 8) 8) 8)
rich

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Bandsaws
« Reply #681 on: January 31, 2016, 10:32:22 am »
I have an old Duplicarver 3 wheel bandsaw w/ a 24" wide throat. The wheels are small however, so it eats blades. I now buy 100' rolls of bandsaw blade and make up my own by silver soldering them. It's not hard, and takes less then 5 minutes per blade. I use a skip tooth blade like Rich's.

Some bandsaw tips for those who don't already know them.....

When re-sawing very thick cuts, you can make up a tall L-shaped wooden fence that you just C-clamp to the table. This will support the face of your board rather than the table supporting the edge, and give you much more consistent thickness.

Also, instead of trying to get your wooden fence square across the table, set it at whatever angle the blade wants to cut a straight line on a test piece. Then clamp it down. If you're lucky and everything in your guides is adjusted perfect, and it's a new blade the test cut MIGHT be square to the table, but generally it isn't. So don't try to fight it -- set the fence parallel with the way the blade wants to cut.

When cutting curved lines on bow blanks (the usual situation) without a fence, as for instance doing the belly cut, don't run the bow flat to the table. Angle the blank a little toward the back (but cut just outside your line). Do this from both sides. This will cut a beveled belly with the high point in the center -- a little thicker than at the edge of the bow.

This ridge is easier to plane off than a flat back with extra thickness would have been, and yet still gives you extra meat in case the blade bows or your table and blade were off square..... or other errors happen. And they do on a bandsaw when ripping irregular grain.

Finally, don't think you have to cut the sides of the bow with a bandsaw, just because it tapers or even has a gradual curve. I often use the tablesaw for this freehand on 1" or thinner stock -- ie a board bow, or bendy handle bow. I set the blade height just over the thickness of the material (important to minimize binding). You have to go slow, stop and switch off if there is any binding, and don't cut out the handle and fade dips, leave those for a bandsaw or other method.

Obviously freehanding is more risky than straight guided cuts with a tablesaw, and should be done only if you are experienced at it. But if you are comfortable freehanding on a tablesaw, you'll get a smoother cleaner faster cut for a bow blank than on a bandsaw. I now cut bow blanks that way, clean up the handle and fades on the band saw, and then band saw the thickness taper, per above.

Of course a hatchet and heavy rasp works great, too for all of the above, but if you have the machinery and want to use it, maybe some of the above will be helpful.  :)

I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #682 on: January 31, 2016, 10:42:06 am »
Everybody's looking good, I'm feeling like I'm falling behind. Here's what I have going on. from left to right, 2 ironwood staves I got from Rich last summer. Two are roughed out and one I bent some flip into the tips. The other staves are, one ash, and one shorty hickory stave. I also have another shorty hickory stave I have bending. I put some copperhead skins on the tips, and in the pic, glueing on some birchbark backing. This is the one I mentioned way early that has a silk backing. I didn't like the color of the silk after glueing, so now applying bark and skins. It ended up too short, had to pike it a little. I'll probably only get 22 or 23" draw out of it. I guess I'll have to keep that one for myself...oh darn. ;)

Tattoo Dave   
Rockford, MI

Offline ajooter

« Reply #683 on: January 31, 2016, 10:47:07 am »
Nice job Sid!  Dave I do t think your anywhere near behind....nice looking set of staves!

Offline half eye

« Reply #684 on: January 31, 2016, 11:17:41 am »
Plan B, real good advice right there. I too freehand all my cuts on both saws (my bad >:D) and I agree with you about using extreme caution while doing so at the beginning......but once ya have it it's a wonderful  time saver.

Dave you looking good bud.....well, rather your work is ::) aint no hope for you man

rich

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #685 on: January 31, 2016, 11:21:12 am »
Nobody's falling behind that I can see here! Some of us have more time to whittle, being old, mentally stuck in an earlier time, and self-unemployed except for small jobs when they come up. I admire everyone's work here and am amazed at the progress all around. We're doing this because we like to, not because we hve a quota to fulfill or a boss telling us to produce. So it can go as fast or as considerate and measured as it needs to be for each individual.

Me, I'm an impatient cuss, and stubbornly independent, so I'm sure to go too fast, ignore advice, and make twice the mistakes. But that's what I like! :laugh: Makes life full.

I'm finishing up the bow now, don't know what it will finally pull after shooting in -- good chance it will miss min. weight by a little, maybe, maybe not. It will be awhile before I can shoot it again, as finish takes time, so I'm starting on a Plan B bow. We've got til August after all. And I said at the start of this I promised to do the best bow I can make. We'll see if I learned anything on the next one, and may the best bow win for my particular victim....

Offline ajooter

« Reply #686 on: January 31, 2016, 11:27:58 am »
We sound much alike B!!  Especially with this bow I feel like I'm thinking so far ahead at things I want to do I know I'm getting ahead of myself at times.

"Me, I'm an impatient cuss, and stubbornly independent, so I'm sure to go too fast, ignore advice, and make twice the mistakes. But that's what I like! :laugh: Makes life full."

I don't think anybody has ever said truer words about me without even trying lol.

I have some questions about birch bark backing Dave.  Do you soak the bark before application?

Offline ajooter

« Reply #687 on: January 31, 2016, 01:46:19 pm »
I know I have posted progress pictures of how I do my nocks but I thought I would go into a little more detail.  I start by marking a reference line down both sides of the belly from the tips to midlimb.  Next I use that line as a reference as to how I taper/round the tips.  I usually go all the way to the taper line for the first 6" and then taper it out to midlimb.    I clean everything up with a finer rasp and scraper when that is all done.  Next I make a reference mark 1" down on each side of the limb as well as marking a centerline down the belly of the limb a few inches from the tip.  I draw my nock reference to intersect this centerline at the same spot.  Next I use a nickolson 49 rasp the score the line I marked and follow that up with a chain saw file.  I mark my outline for the front and side profile of the nock and shape them with a nickolson 49.  Everything gets cleaned up with a finer rasp and sandpaper.  I threw a picture of the top nock as well.

I also did some further work to the handle.  I really like way the handle is shaping out.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #688 on: January 31, 2016, 02:39:44 pm »
ajooter, I figure a lot of us fits that description  :) your bow looks great!

Sidmand, I really like how you split that. Your center marking gage is really similar to the 8-side gage used for marking the bevel lines on tapered spars in boatbuilding. They use two pencils.

Otter and Turtle, great to see you guys going to town on that wood, and a wonderful spacious shop you have!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #689 on: January 31, 2016, 02:50:53 pm »
Ajooter, I'm a liking that handle more and more. It's very interesting. I look at it one way it has a natural rest for a RH shooter then I look at it another way and that natural RH rest becomes a good place for a LH to rest there thumb. Just a interesting peice. Keep up the good work!