Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 681077 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #735 on: February 02, 2016, 06:10:32 am »
Drewster, man I would like to build a bow in your work shop ( nice, clean, and organized) mine dirty and unorganized! Keep up the good work.

Swamp man, rawhide and tip overlays looks good. You'll do fine fixing that tiller at low brace. That to me is the easiest time to fix it.

ajooter, like those thin tips. Looking good

CBG, your a flying through this build. Keep it up and you will beat us all done

Offline Otter

« Reply #736 on: February 02, 2016, 08:57:28 am »
Wow you all are rocking... I've seen so many bows that are all mouth drooling.... I can't wait to get back at it but I'm letting my stave's dry for a week more inside .... I do have another Osage stave that I cut down in 2012 that I'm thinking about chasing a ring, can't have to many back ups with this bunch  :o

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #737 on: February 02, 2016, 09:17:49 am »
Bows are looking nice!

Drewster - curious to see how the steam worked on your handle area - hope you post some pics of the results.  You bow is coming along nicely.

That rawhide turned out nice Swampman.  The walnut looks good too.  Looks like you have some dogwood shafts laying there on the bench behind your bow?

Those narrow tips look awesome ajooter - I love the looks of narrow tips!

CBG - I would say that the bends are looking nice on your trilam.  Did you taper the core before glue up?

We have a blizzard going on here today - maybe will be able to get out to the shop and do some work on my bows!

Mitch

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #738 on: February 02, 2016, 10:57:40 am »
Well it's in the 50's for the next couple days with rain all day tomorrow. Goodbye to the bay ice :'(.

On the bright side I'll be able to catch up to you over achievers. You guys all did your weekend homework on Friday night didn't you?

As promised here's a fishy pic.

Caught 12 Thurs. night (by myself), 40 on Friday(with a buddy and my daughter), and 1 lousy fish (by my daughter on Saturday). I think they'd moved to deeper water because it was clear and sunny that day. Got them all filleted and in the deep freeze yesterday. After I take a look at my wife's squeaky brakes, I'm back to making shavings. I'll get a progress pic up after I make a little more of it.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #739 on: February 02, 2016, 11:13:52 am »
OK, I admit it, I need help.

First the handle was slightly kinked, with the tips not lining up by a half inch, so  I (dry) heated the (hazel) stave into alignment  - slight overbend that cooled into a dead straight stave.  Two days later I may as well have not bothered and the stave is back in its old shape. I think I'll try steaming it becase hazel usually reacts really well to heat. The grain seems to run up the stave on one side and down the stave on the other, could this be causing me the alignment problems? 

Mostly I need help with the dimensions: currently the stave is 65" ttt with a 70:30 ratio (working arm length to lever length) - is this ok or is the bow too long , and are the levers too short? Oh, how wide should the levers end up - they are an inch wide at the moment to give me some wriggle room.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #740 on: February 02, 2016, 12:22:34 pm »
Those look good kid...I miss that poor man's shrimp.

I'm sure we can collectively get you straightened out mud....well the bow anyway  ;) post some pictures of your layout and the grain orientation you mentioned.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #741 on: February 02, 2016, 12:27:55 pm »
I assume you are making a mollie. I think a half inch might be too thick on the levers, but thats one of the few things on a mollie you can adjust later if need be. . My first mollie had 1/2" wide levers and a fair amount of hand shock to go with it. I took them down to just under 3/8" and it really helped and made the side profile narrower. They did have a slight taper narrowing to the tips(maybe another 1/16"). My levers were still pretty wide from the side though, compared to others I've seen. I liked how they looked though.  I also think you could make the levers longer if you wanted or the bow shorter. I've done them with both long and short levers. The speed seems to increase with the lever length/working limb ratio, but so does the stress on the limbs and stacking of the draw weight. I tried pushing my last one. It was HHB, 56" ttt, with 9" levers and I went for a 65-70 draw @28". That one took some set, well... a lot of set,  the most of any bow I made that survived. It also developed a slight hinge, it's in the rework/boredom pile at the moment. I wish I wouldn't have tried for too much, it had potential. Should have went with more working limb and 4" longer overall, and possibly some perry reflex.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #742 on: February 02, 2016, 12:33:15 pm »
Looks like I may have the string alignment worked out.  Hopefully it will hold. Going to set it aside till Monday and start working on another stave. 
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #743 on: February 02, 2016, 12:40:58 pm »
Nice haul Dakota! I've wanted to try perch skin glue. It was supposed to be the glue of choice in cold weather Finnish type bows. Must have been fun catching them!

Swampman, ajooter, looking great!

Glad that worked out Timothy!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #744 on: February 02, 2016, 12:48:55 pm »
Was the perch glue made from the air bladder? I tried to locate them when cleaning but couldn't. Plus, these were caught in shallow water <20', so the bladders were empty. It's easy to locate when they're caught in deep water. It's hard to miss it when it's sticking out the mouth. It's like the bends for a fish. That's one of the reasons there's no summer size limit up here. Rarely do they survive being brought up fast from deep water. It's better to have some small ones in the bucket than to throw them to the gulls and catch more, from a conservation stand point anyway.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #745 on: February 02, 2016, 01:09:19 pm »
Was the perch glue made from the air bladder? I tried to locate them when cleaning but couldn't. Plus, these were caught in shallow water <20', so the bladders were empty. It's easy to locate when they're caught in deep water. It's hard to miss it when it's sticking out the mouth. It's like the bends for a fish. That's one of the reasons there's no summer size limit up here. Rarely do they survive being brought up fast from deep water. It's better to have some small ones in the bucket than to throw them to the gulls and catch more, from a conservation stand point anyway.

Dakota from what I read it was perch skin, not the bladder. I have heard of isninglass made from fish bladders, used in clarifying beer when brewing. I'll try to find the references for the skin glue....
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #746 on: February 02, 2016, 01:13:52 pm »
I actually looked it up while waiting to hear back from you. I went out to the trash and retrieved the skins. If you want them PM me your address. Dried first of course. Don't want to upset the mailman with rotten fish smell.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline cabinetbowguy

« Reply #747 on: February 02, 2016, 01:22:34 pm »
Mwosborn.. yep tapered the cherry before glue up
Jason
Amen

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #748 on: February 02, 2016, 01:28:19 pm »
Dakota Kid, gotta love those perch. We had a spot out on the canal that flowed from Lake McConaughy to Lake Maloney that we fished as kids. The perch at that time we're abundant and man what great times we had. Nice catch.

TimothyR, I'm having a similar problem on my sinew backed black walnut. Rather than fighting anymore I'm going to eliminate the problem by using a side nock on the top limb. String alignment lines up  perfectly that way.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #749 on: February 02, 2016, 01:28:46 pm »
Thanks Jason -

A trilam will be new for me.  Need all the help I can get.  I am going to try to rig up some kind of jig for my sander that will allow me to taper.  Wish I have a drum sander.  :(
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch