Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 680171 times)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #810 on: February 03, 2016, 04:43:27 pm »
Willie, one end twists a little and reflexes more than the other, so I'm thinking cut that end short Hard to tell from the picture.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #811 on: February 03, 2016, 05:32:20 pm »
Well... I finally got my staves in from Half Eye... Of course they look great.

Anywho, I am including a couple pictures of the one for the trade. The stave is Ironwood (HHB). I have a few questions for you guys...

How wide should the limbs be, and how exactly should I taper them? I believe the tips on most be is are normally about 3/4, right? Should I go in a straight line from the (fades??), to the tips... Or should I go out a little ways and then angle towards the tips?

About what thickness should my limbs be? They appear to be 5/8-3/4 (give or take a little) right now.

Also... It has some natural recurve that seems to be pretty even. Should I do anything else to it? Recurve the tips? Or just leave as is?

I am open to ANY suggestions. Once I figure out what exactly I'm going to do, I will get to work...

The other picture will be in a different post. :D
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #812 on: February 03, 2016, 05:32:57 pm »

David

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #813 on: February 03, 2016, 05:50:26 pm »
Hey David, glad to see you rec'd the staves from Rich. I've never worked hhb but these others will chime in. Half eye is the hhb wizard in my book.

Thrilled to see you getting started and will follow along. I'm going to have to trade Rich some osage and try hhb.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #814 on: February 03, 2016, 05:59:05 pm »
David - I have not tried HHB yet either.  From what I hear, it can handle various designs.  Looks like Rich has it roughed out to approximate dimensions.  The easiest (IMO) might be a pyramid design.  Taper straight from the fades to the tips.  Not sure how wide for HHB, but I would guess 1.5 to 1.75" at the fade and .5" at the tips for a start.  How long you going to make it?

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #815 on: February 03, 2016, 06:02:57 pm »
David. Not for sure on HHB but a good rule of thumb I go by on any wood, from the fades I like to go 12-14 inches down parallel at 2" wide then taper to my knocks @ 1/2" wide. Also you need to draw a center line through your bow. The reflex looks good. and make it long you can always take wood off but can't put it back on. Have fun you will do good

Offline half eye

« Reply #816 on: February 03, 2016, 06:12:32 pm »
David,
     First off I left you enough wood to make about anything ya want. Something to consider is if you put the limb tips on a couple 2x4 (the way it is right now) you can probably stand on that thing and not touch the floor >:D

As to layout if you taper from fades to tips you basically have a pyramid design (means very little thickness taper.....If you go out some then taper you will be making an American flatbow.

It does not require hardly any HHB to make good weight so you are going to need and take a bunch off....(it does work well with hand tools however) If your desired weight is around 50-55# you will not need more than 1-1/2" wide limbs and they will be well less that 1/2 thick just as an example.

The length is also more than you need. If you needed say 28" draw just use it the way it is and have a little leeway. One other thing....I do not heat treat but have friends who have heat-treated HHB bows (wood same as yours) and they said it responded very well to that method. As for recurves HHB steams very well.
rich

Maybe some of these guys will suggest a design that is ideal for what you have in mind....OH ya you can make any type tips you want and as skinny as you want.....that is some very tough wood.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #817 on: February 03, 2016, 06:32:04 pm »
Rich, since you've seen and handles the stave how straight was the grain?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #818 on: February 03, 2016, 06:55:21 pm »
David, that is a nice looking hhb stave.  Have fun with it.  Sounds like Rich gave some good advice.

I came home today to find the new Primitive Archer magazine.  I probably won't get much done on my trade bow tonight.  :D

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #819 on: February 03, 2016, 07:00:17 pm »
I think I'm going to taper straight from the fades to the tips.

How far should the string knocks be from the tips? I have heard 1/2".

Thanks for the info so far!

David

Offline half eye

« Reply #820 on: February 03, 2016, 07:03:55 pm »
Fred, that piece of ironwood and the other 3 as well have very straight grain without defects at all, but the bow rough out is as straight grained as a taught sting 8) 8)

PlanB....Apparently I forgot to hit "post" when I answered you ( of course it might be a vast right-wing conspiracy) na, just sender stupidity >:D I have not specifically studied these bows and variants....but have run into the general "white history" take in the museum specimens. By that I mean the Abenaki (like most NA tribes/bands) are lumped into a general pile without regard to any differentiation. There is also the matter of some specimens being attributed in error.....when the dust settles here I plan on doing more in-depth research.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #821 on: February 03, 2016, 07:12:52 pm »
David,
      If you are planning to make "regular" string knocks (filed in on the edges and belly) or "pin" knocks then 1/2" will be good to start.
     As a starting point, make your centerline down the long axis, draw in your pyramid tapers and grip area.....then cut out your front profile ya just drew.....when ya get that done come back and I'll give a tip or two on laying out your thickness profile.
rich

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #822 on: February 03, 2016, 07:31:17 pm »
That ironwood of Rich's is excellent David. I've had the pleasure of working some of recently and was really impressed with the stuff. As said you can go with just about any design with that wood and count on it to do well.

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #823 on: February 03, 2016, 07:35:14 pm »
Ok , instead of fluppin thru 55 pages, wanted to know who was ordering goat rawhide from moscow hide and fur? Just wanna know how u order it. Thanx.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #824 on: February 03, 2016, 07:37:01 pm »
Thanks HE PLAN B has arrived will draw the bark and sap wood off this weekend.