Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 680313 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #840 on: February 03, 2016, 09:02:38 pm »
Half Eye it's Black locus

I believe I will leave the knot it runs at a angle and comes out the belly 1/2" from the edge.

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #841 on: February 03, 2016, 09:04:10 pm »
I forgot to take pictues...

Buuuuut, I got the limbs shaped. I also smoothed out the fades a little bit. Hopefully I'll get some more done tomorrow. I have been working on our beehives and bows at the same time. Hahaha.
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline jandersson

« Reply #842 on: February 03, 2016, 09:49:08 pm »
So much good info in this thread!
Plan B and David: You guys got some sweet staves to work on, I'm jealous.
ajooter: That handle of yours is a trip. Nice work!
half eye: Mighty fine sticks! You making three bows total?

Seeing the trilams here I think that is gonna be my plan B, I don't have access to staves but I got boards. I do wonder where the taper of the core begins, where the riser ends towards the tips? Are there any good build a longs?

My update:
I've had trouble bending the lilac, this time I did the whole limb though. I know, it's a pretty ghetto set up! But this time I got a better result. What do you guys think of the line up?

Offline ajooter

« Reply #843 on: February 03, 2016, 10:00:03 pm »
Looks a lot better jandersson!

Offline willie

« Reply #844 on: February 03, 2016, 11:11:00 pm »
following along with the fun. wish I had the time to commit to the party

never did find a good picture of the sudbury, when I built on a few years ago

but I did find this pic in Native American Bows by T.M. Hamilton, not too long ago.

I have it in a higher rez, and if anyone wants a copy, just PM

Offline Loope

« Reply #845 on: February 03, 2016, 11:31:58 pm »
Worked on layout tonight.  I tried the trick that Otter showed for layout of a pyramid, and it works very well.  I used craft paper because that is what I had, so the picture doesn't show up great.  I marked the center trying to follow the grain, and then marked the exact pyramid.  There are a few spots on the edge with small knots so I will have to adjust the layout lines around those spots.  Almost ready to start roughing out... hatchet and drawknife for me, would love to have a bandsaw.

Offline jandersson

« Reply #846 on: February 03, 2016, 11:38:50 pm »
Nice curves Loope!

Offline Loope

« Reply #847 on: February 03, 2016, 11:47:21 pm »
Yes, currrvy!  I hope this one works out, I love the look of this stave.  I've got about 10 bows under my belt, only three are staves, so I am going slow and careful.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #848 on: February 04, 2016, 12:07:33 am »
^^^That is the only way it should be done. Impatient people tend to find a different hobby.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #849 on: February 04, 2016, 12:19:26 am »
I changed my lineup a bit.

From top to bottomt in order of current favorite:
Rock Elm- dry heat straightened, currently floor tillering
HHB- handle roughed in, mollie tips are next
spalted hazel- was my #1 but I'm liking the rock elm, so it's been collecting dust
Top secret- I forgot I had this. It's my first attempt at a decrowned stave. I didn't have the know how to deal with it when I acquired it. I hope I do now. We shall see.

It's hard to keep up with all you power tool users. Boy do my arms feel like jello. It's totally worth it though.

Oh and I found some osage today. In my area that's not a common occurrence. Now I just have to find out if I can cut it. I suppose if I waited for a few months it would fall in the creek and wash out into the lake, but who knows where it would wash back up. It did give me the idea to check the beaches for that very thing. All of the osage I've found here has been close to a creek. That's the main way the fruit is distributed now-a-days, since mammoths and giants sloths went extinct.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:08:21 am by Dakota Kid »
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #850 on: February 04, 2016, 12:24:37 am »
Gutshot.... I would probably leave that knot in.

jandersson.... Looks like you have it under control.

Loope....... Layout looking good. I've been looking for a good redbud to cut for several years now. Been avoiding the snakey ones so I'm watching this one closely.
Steve Bennett

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #851 on: February 04, 2016, 01:08:00 am »
Loope, your snakey layout shows you cutting straight through a knot.  Do you want to go around it maybe?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #852 on: February 04, 2016, 01:26:08 am »
Worked on layout tonight.  I tried the trick that Otter showed for layout of a pyramid, and it works very well.  I used craft paper because that is what I had, so the picture doesn't show up great.  I marked the center trying to follow the grain, and then marked the exact pyramid.  There are a few spots on the edge with small knots so I will have to adjust the layout lines around those spots.  Almost ready to start roughing out... hatchet and drawknife for me, would love to have a bandsaw.

Hey Loope, that's a sexy stave! What wood is that again? I say hatchet is the way to go. I love how it keeps me true to the grain as I am hackin out the edges. I just gotta remember to take it slow and sometimes flip stave end for end to prevent tearing out too much.

Janderson: you are really taming that lilac, it looks real good to me. Say, what side do you need the arrow to pass on anyway  >:D?. How is the side profile looking for you?
PS: you have a nice kitchen (until your wife evicts you)  >:D  You ever get drip stains on the counters from the steaming?

DK: that rock elm is beautiful. gonna look sweet with the color contrasts comin out of that handle, but then same with the hazel.  I don't see how you could go wrong wth any of them!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #853 on: February 04, 2016, 01:27:50 am »
Loope, your snakey layout shows you cutting straight through a knot.  Do you want to go around it maybe?

+1

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #854 on: February 04, 2016, 02:15:52 am »

+1

There are a few spots on the edge with small knots so I will have to adjust the layout lines around those spots.

Steve Bennett