Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 676049 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #915 on: February 05, 2016, 09:36:54 am »
J
Anderson:  How would you rate the lilac and steam? I am gonna start shaping up my lilac today so any pointers you have (I probably missed it in here somewhere) I would really appreciate. Not a lot of experience in here on lilac that I've seen compared to the more common woods. Thank buddy.

Rich, that's a great post.....for all of us.  Thanks!  I would add that while following your mantra, exercise the limbs really well every time you remove wood.  Some have recommended to exercise them 30 times or so, but I exercise mine 40-50 times each time wood is removed to help really train the wood to bend.  Proceed slowly and patiently.  Sometimes it helps me to tiller a little and then wait til the next day and look at the bow with fresh eyes before proceeding.  Just my 2¢ worth.

I agree. Having the discipline to wait and be sure my brain and guts are on the same page is tough. Also to exercise limbs and just inspect the grain and wood in a calm manner for a while. Every time I get into the hurry up mode I will do less quality work. If I am feeling rushed for whatever reason it aint so good. I am trying to keep it more meditative.....But then it aint July 31st yet  >:D

Offline ajooter

« Reply #916 on: February 05, 2016, 09:39:42 am »
Agreed on all fronts fellas....Def agree on exercising the limbs in between wood removal.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #917 on: February 05, 2016, 09:43:33 am »
Here is a video showing Rich's method:  https://youtu.be/SDJPgUN5XqE

I do this exclusively to string longbows and even some recurves, it's a whole lot safer than the ole step through method.  For some really heavy recurves with big sweeping curves, you need a stringer.

David,
     are you familiar with the "push-pull" method of stringing a bow? If so do that just a little bit to test for relative power. You can put it on the long string now....but be real careful that you do 2 things and I do mean watch BOTH of 'em.....Pull just enough to see if both limbs look like they are pretty even.....
if they are not then stop and make them more even.....when they are then put your scale on and pull it to 40 pounds and see where you hit that weight....if it hits 40 at about say 8-10 inches you are still heavy but close enough to go to your scraper......
    When I say long string I define that as JUST as long as the bow (not real sloppy) I know it's the "exciting time" right now because you want to see her bend.....please dont do that you only have to pull it one time a little to far and ya got a kids bow EVERYTIME.
   Here is your mantra.....are they even? where do they hit 40, are the even, where do they hit 40......keep that up till you are about 6 inches short of full draw.....then are they even, where does it hit 50 ....are they even and where do they hit 50....until you are there.

Make sure the limbs are real close to bending the same first, then pull and NEVER go past intended draw weight........the more bows you make the more the urge to just pull her back is gonna creep in.....stick to the mantra. Also, once you are back to about 6-8 inches of draw then be sure to shorten your string to "low brace" before you carry on......at about 14" you should be able to safely brace it.

Each and every time you shorten that string you better be damned sure you have nice even bends in the limbs....if not then get 'em even FIRST.. I'm not trying to be a smart ass....it just that there is a certain process to tillering, if you follow the mantra you wont have any big problems.....when ya get over confident (like I still do at times) something will come back to bite you and ya got either a kids bow or a broken bow.

Oh ya......quit forgettin the pics man cause you know us hill-billy's like our pics  >:D >:D >:D
rich
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #918 on: February 05, 2016, 09:47:29 am »
You guys are killing it on here!  I'm still chasing a ring on my Plan A stave - the rings are so thin its like scraping butterfly wings.  Due to my inexperiance with Osage, when I first saw the stave I thought to myself "self, that aught to be easy chasing those rings".  But, when I got into it, I relized that what I thought were big fat rings where really groups of very very thin rings, I think there is a thread on here about something called "moon rings" or similar, and this stave has em in spades.  But, I got it figured out and I'm on the trail of a good ring.  I think it's going to make a killer bow, the wood is willing and sound, I just have to do my part to release the beast.  I only have a few hours a weekend to work on it though, so you guys are smoking me.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #919 on: February 05, 2016, 09:49:01 am »
The idea that you have to "train" the stave/board to become a bow, really helped me understand tillering. There was a period in my building where getting the limbs to bend evenly became much easier for me. During this time, I broke 3 or 4 bows in a row. I finally realized it was because I was getting an even tiller with fewer overall limb flexes. The limbs were bending evenly but the flexibility wasn't increasing because of minimal exercise. Just because your tiller is even doesn't mean you're ready for a full draw, or even a half draw. When you do your 30-50 pulls after removing wood, the draw weight will decease between that first pull and the last one without removing any additional wood. Just one more instance where lack of patience can ruin your day(and your bow for that matter). The more you bend your stick, the closer it gets to being a bow.   
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline half eye

« Reply #920 on: February 05, 2016, 09:51:25 am »
Fellas, Mr. DuBois generouly sent me some skins for Ms. Lauren's award bow (amoungst other goodies) got them yesterday so thought I would post the start of the skin job. Remember that I did not take any character out the bow's limbs, just went real careful and think it will look real good when done. The skin would have covered the entire bow but I left about 6" on each end so that I can put a raw-hide wrap (decoration) on @ to match the grip and then a touch of paint on the flipped tips.
    Anyway, thanks so much Mr. BuBois.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #921 on: February 05, 2016, 09:58:24 am »
Sidmand, this aint a race bud, as long as your having some fun and are still enthused it's all good....and I sure hope you are having fun doing this.
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #922 on: February 05, 2016, 10:00:37 am »
Wow Rich she is gonna love it.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #923 on: February 05, 2016, 10:02:02 am »
Excellent explanation Rich. Using close to the same method and say working on a bow I want to come out 50#@28, once I reach my desired weight @ say 24 or 25", I then begin finish sanding my bow front, back, and sides, getting rid of unwanted tool marks, rounding off all corners. I'm basically finishing the bow except for what little scraping and sanding may be remaining on the belly to achieve my final desired weight. I haven't missed weight since utilizing this method,

Sidmand, don't fret the moon rings just stay as clean as you can.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #924 on: February 05, 2016, 10:09:58 am »
I got the bark off of the back of the second bow last evening. That was slow going. I have to say this stave is about all I could have asked for -- clear, no twist to speak of (yet) and the natural reflex is already pretty. I lined it out for cutting today, and I'm just going to go slow with it, because really, it just seems like wants to be a bow all by itself. I just gotta keep from interfering with it.

Last night:

Bark scraped off:

Natural reflex:
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline DuBois

« Reply #925 on: February 05, 2016, 10:13:00 am »
Excellent explanation Rich. Using close to the same method and say working on a bow I want to come out 50#@28, once I reach my desired weight @ say 24 or 25", I then begin finish sanding my bow front, back, and sides, getting rid of unwanted tool marks, rounding off all corners. I'm basically finishing the bow except for what little scraping and sanding may be remaining on the belly to achieve my final desired weight. I haven't missed weight since utilizing this method,

I like that Fred. I have a habit of getting too close and then being under weight after finishing.

Glad I could be a part of it half eye, thanks.

What is that wood Plan B?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #926 on: February 05, 2016, 10:24:07 am »
Plan B, how seasoned is that stave?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #927 on: February 05, 2016, 10:41:06 am »
Fred, it was the wany edge of a black birch board cut last summer, then stripped off @ 1-1/4" thick and stored in a shed for a couple months, then brought indoors in the house for 3 months. I sawed it closer to profile couple days ago, and I checked it yesterday after striping the bark off and it was 1159 grams. Today, just now weighing it, it's still 1159 grams.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline half eye

« Reply #928 on: February 05, 2016, 10:49:46 am »
Mr.B
    That right there got "eastern Woodland" wrote all over it, cant wait to see what ya got cookin 8)
rich

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #929 on: February 05, 2016, 10:59:01 am »
Sidmand, this aint a race bud, as long as your having some fun and are still enthused it's all good....and I sure hope you are having fun doing this.
rich

Yes, always fun, thank you.  Bow making is my escape - it's cathartic.  I have 6 kids at home right now, and they are very active and a lot of fun.  But, sometimes we all need a break and a little quiet time - that comes around noonish on the weekends, when the smallest of the thundering herd take naps, and the rest are sent to their rooms for some R&R.  That's when the bow making happens.