Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 681081 times)

Offline jandersson

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #960 on: February 05, 2016, 11:32:54 pm »
Loope: You don't learn anything if you don't get challenged, that's a great stave for that!

David:You did the right thing setting up that tillering tree, so much easier tillering that way.

PlanB: Seriously, two bows almost done? Keep 'em coming Mr they look great!

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #961 on: February 06, 2016, 12:02:01 am »
Well I got my BL to full draw tonight and it is right on track for goal weight.  What do you all think of the tiller?

I shot a few arrows and I was very pleased with the result.

Here are a few more pictures.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #962 on: February 06, 2016, 12:40:23 am »
Looks good man....in your hand I think the top limb needs a little work from midlimb to about 5 to 6"  just below the tip.  I think the bottom limb looks perfect...nice graceful arc.  What's it look like unbraced?

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #963 on: February 06, 2016, 06:23:50 am »
Swamman   Lookin good.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #964 on: February 06, 2016, 07:20:01 am »
Looks good man....in your hand I think the top limb needs a little work from midlimb to about 5 to 6"  just below the tip.  I think the bottom limb looks perfect...nice graceful arc.  What's it look like unbraced?

1+

But it is hard to be sure since I aint there...come to think of it, even when I am "there" I aint always real sure  :-\

DK- I've seen a few like that. It's almost like the osage grows n on itself. Those are some nice big ones!

Davd E. Nice job all around buddy!

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #965 on: February 06, 2016, 07:40:13 am »

Ajooter, the top limb in the picture with me has been causing issues for me all along. That limb started out with 3 inches of reflex and the lower limb had a bit of deflex.  I have had to rely on my tillering gizmo on this bow from the start.  My tillering gizmo tells me the arc is the same in both limbs but when I look at it in the picture, I am not sure.  When unbraced, the bow is almost straight with the bottom limb still showing the original deflex.  The top limb is showing a bit of set if I consider the reflex it had. 

I may toast the belly and adjust the tiller after that.  I have never had anything bad happen from toasting a belly. 

Offline DuBois

« Reply #966 on: February 06, 2016, 07:41:35 am »
Woke up with "bow brain"

Last night I decided I needed another stave in this so dug out an osage and chased a ring. Got some pretty little leopard spots in it!

Lilac on hot stove after olive oiling and still in clamps now. It never wanted to give way easily like you said Janderson. Not sure I can pull this off just to get it in line??

Offline DuBois

« Reply #967 on: February 06, 2016, 07:43:45 am »

Offline half eye

« Reply #968 on: February 06, 2016, 08:17:37 am »
Mr. DuBois, you are an animal with that stave sir 8) Got some feedback on that sinew deal if ya get a chance to call.

Swampman,  I think your tiller is good, while it might use a very small amount of tweeking, it is close enough to shoot forever. A lot of my staves are pretty knarly and sometimes you can go nuts trying for perfection. Take what the wood will give.
    I am pretty sure you are going to work the mentioned area though ::), just trying to say that would be good, but if it just wont seem to come around like you want.....then leave it be, it really is not that far out.
rich

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #969 on: February 06, 2016, 08:35:04 am »
Swampman I don't trust photos much when it comes to small differences. I think you know better holding it in your hands, looking at it all over, knowing its history, and irregularities, and shooting the thing.

If the wood was perfect, and identical limb to limb, the angle of the camera perfect, the camera itself not suffering from spherical aberration, barrel distortion, image centered, the lighting perfect, your hand in the exact centers of pressure at the bow and string, you didn't favor a positive tiller, any heat treatments were perfectly symmetrical, etc,.etc. then maybe the limbs would be mirror images of each other and bend at the exact same rates, and that would even show up in a photo.

And I also believe that what looks like perfect even tiller in a photo, might not shoot as well as it could in real life, or even look that way to a real observer, or in a mirror. This is all not to say not to use every tool you want to get a bow looking right, but when it comes right down to it, I would trust your instincts and your eyes and hands, because I can promise you from experience, it's possible to tiller something that shoots good and feels good to death by trying to follow a single photo. Not trying to argue anything at all here, but just trying to encourage with a plug for instinct and feel.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline half eye

« Reply #970 on: February 06, 2016, 08:52:54 am »
Fellas,
    I'm about ready to wrap up the award bow for Lauren. I would like everybodys opinion about the grip. What I mean is that she likes pink and blue so I wanted the grip pink and the tips blue. I knew that a hot pink would show through the rawhide and this is what it looks like now. Do you think I should leave this look or repaint over the raw-hide?   Also what is the general feeling on the tips as to look and color?
    Thanks fellas, appreciate your time and I feel a bunch of heads is better than one.
rich

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #971 on: February 06, 2016, 09:02:35 am »
Swampman, that tiller looks real close. Is the top limb the one on the right in the top pic? It's hard to tell without seeing unbraced but it looks to me like that limb is stiff right out of the fade.

The more I look at it the better it looks. It doesn't need much to be damned near perfect.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 09:56:41 am by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #972 on: February 06, 2016, 09:48:51 am »
Swamp, the tiller looks pretty darn good to me.

Dubois, that's one snakes stave! I can't wait to see it pulling back.

Rich, the award bow turned out sweet! Great work bud!

I'll be working on the ironwood bow later today, and will have a progress pic or 2.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #973 on: February 06, 2016, 09:50:51 am »
Hey guys, If any of you need whitetail back strap sinew I have 7 oz left that I'm going to send out for $10 an oz donation. The funds will be used to offset the shipping cost for the 2 members we have that will be shipping bows over the big pond. jandersson took the first 3 oz.

And my email server is down for the weekend so PM's only until sometime Monday.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 09:59:09 am by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #974 on: February 06, 2016, 10:34:50 am »
Fred, I'll mail out a 10$ donation for the shipping, but I don't need any sinew. Send the sinew to someone who needs it, or maybe someone who has never used it before.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI