Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 675771 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #990 on: February 06, 2016, 05:23:06 pm »
Went to mother in laws today so found a way to the garage with the hatchet and stave  >:D I love her, hatchet that is.

Got my newest and now favorite osage pretty much to floor tiller and need to get one limb to match the other with some heat. Looking sorta eastern woodland like at 67"

Left a little extra on the end with a shaving coming off it just to have something to clamp on.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:26:16 pm by DuBois »

Offline DuBois

« Reply #991 on: February 06, 2016, 05:27:55 pm »

Also got better result so far than I expected on the lilac with steam and clamping the heck out of it. Might work out after all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #992 on: February 06, 2016, 06:00:53 pm »
Got a couple ?s for the group.  When I cut this piece of hickory there were some small branches that I saw off and they left some small stubs.  There are spots where the branches project through the limbs.  These obviously arnt the same as a broken branch that the tree has grown around thus resulting in a hole.  I wanted to gently file them down on the back and maybe put a sinew patch over them in preperation for rawhide backing the bow.  Is this feasible?

Pic of stub left on back of bow

Also was wondering about the knots showing on the belly and if they would require any attention?  They are centered in the limb but seem like they may want to check in a perpendicular direction across the limb.  I could hollow them out and fill them with sawdust and glue.

Pic of stub on back and where it projects to belly

Thank you for your advice and opinions in advance.

Offline half eye

« Reply #993 on: February 06, 2016, 06:08:48 pm »
Ajooter,
    I believe that if you dress the stub down as smooth as you can get it (meaning no sharp edges) and soak both sides of it with CA it ought to be tough as nails. Your scraper should remove any CA staining as you finish the tiller, and of course the raw-hide will take care of the back
rich

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #994 on: February 06, 2016, 06:13:07 pm »
Ajooter - No experience with the "branches" on the back of the bow - but I would think smoothed down and rawhided backed would be ok.  I have never had problems with knots on the belly - usually shoot some super glue into them.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #995 on: February 06, 2016, 06:14:31 pm »
Went ahead and glued and clamped it up.  We will see...... :laugh:
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #996 on: February 06, 2016, 06:40:54 pm »
Looking good Mitch. I seem to be able to only TRY to master one thing at a time and I'm not even comfortable with selffbows yet. If I make it another 5 years maybe I'll delve into more complicated matters.  :laugh:
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #997 on: February 06, 2016, 07:35:35 pm »
Thanks Ajooter for putting the circle on my tiller picture.  That helps me to see the top limb does need to bend a bit more near the fade.  I think the branches on the hickory will be no trouble for you.  Hickory is tough, especially if you are backing with rawhide.

Here is a picture of my bow unstrung after heat treating the belly.  You can tell which limb has natural reflex.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #998 on: February 06, 2016, 08:21:48 pm »
Guys this thread is killing it

67 pages
997 replies

Keep up the good work

Fred Thanks for doing this

Rich thanks for all the good info

Everybody else I'm enjoying the pics, ?'s, comments. Keep posting.

I will have pics soon of the Osage Rich sent me. Worked all day on it and only got the handle and one limb done. its a tough one for me. Lol

Offline DuBois

« Reply #999 on: February 06, 2016, 08:56:49 pm »
Yeah, Rich is known for sending people tough stuff to work on  :o

I agree completely gutshot; this is awesome!!

MW; that is one sweet profile.

Swampman; I like it. You aint too far from me up here in the snow.

I wish I could contribute more knowledge but I can barely keep up with you guys as it is  :o :-[

Here's the lilac again.
She's coming around and might be damn close after #3 steam session.

Offline Loope

« Reply #1000 on: February 06, 2016, 09:42:29 pm »
Guys, all your bows are looking great, awesome progress!  I didn't get any bow work done today, went to the farm today and then after work was done, went on an arrow hunt.  Came back with a couple dozen shoots to try making arrows, mostly rose shoots, but also some honeysuckle.  It was sure great weather to be outside today.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #1001 on: February 06, 2016, 09:56:43 pm »
Guys, all your bows are looking great, awesome progress!  I didn't get any bow work done today, went to the farm today and then after work was done, went on an arrow hunt.  Came back with a couple dozen shoots to try making arrows, mostly rose shoots, but also some honeysuckle.  It was sure great weather to be outside today.

Yeah I didn't get any bow eork done either. Spent the morning doing my taxes. Then I split firewood and cleaned up my shop. Was going to do some bow work after but couldnt get in the mood for some reason. But I dont have to go back to work untill Thursday so I should get some more done.
Steve Bennett

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1002 on: February 06, 2016, 10:04:59 pm »
Yeah, Rich is known for sending people tough stuff to work on  :o

DuBois, Rich didn't send a tough stave to work on I'm making it tough, I just hope I can make a bow out of it that somebody will be proud of.

If I'm not mistaking Fred might have posted we want everybody to make a bow that will make you cry to give it away. Or something like that. And that's my goal on here. Heck when I stuck a big splinter in my hand today I about cried. Heck is that what Fred was talking about. Lol

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1003 on: February 06, 2016, 10:36:25 pm »
I've been following Rich's mantra on long string on the plan B black birch. It's helped break the bad habit I had of marking and working on both limbs at the same time. It's going better because of that. I don't even mark the softer limb anywhere, until the other tip is at the same height.

I'm tillering with the bow upside down this time, on the floor, on a pad, foot on the handle. There's a discount store long dressing mirror a couple feet away, propped up and horizontal on the floor, angled up. I don't have to keep going outdoors to the tiller tree on the shed -- there's a lot of ice out there now, and putting on a jacket and ice grippers between scrapes is just too slow.

I've found I can keep my thumb on the spring bow scale so that when the pointer comes up to the tiller weight I want to allow, I feel it hit, check the mirror for shape. It's pretty quick to do that, lower the string and scrape. Seems to be working anyway.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline DuBois

« Reply #1004 on: February 07, 2016, 02:15:10 am »
Hey Gutshot,
I was just takin a little inside jab at Rich. I'm sure the stave is awesome since it came from him. Call me a little perverse, but I kinda like it when a bow fights back and gets me a little. Seems like every bow I work on draws blood. Now if it was just another creature besides me that would be better  :-[

Mr. B; I must have missed that half eye pearl of wisdom n the midst of all this but I sure do like the idea. I have a mirror like that in the garage that will be coming inside soon  ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:27:41 am by DuBois »