Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 676014 times)

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1140 on: February 09, 2016, 09:53:03 pm »
OK thanks for advice, currently the ERC is 45@ 21",beautiful piece but I just don t trust it any more. The hickory curve has a ways to go, so I have room for adjustment there- Hammertime

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #1141 on: February 09, 2016, 10:22:39 pm »
I am glad everyone is posting so many pictures.  I am away from home for work this week so can't get into my shop at all. At least I can see all these great pictures of everyone's progress.  I should get into my shop this weekend again.  Great work everyone.

Mike

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1142 on: February 09, 2016, 10:46:13 pm »
Hammertime - agree with Dubois on the ERC - it can be a fickle wood.  I have attempted 2 erc bows.  One turned out great and the other blew up into 3 pieces on the tillering tree.  The hickory looks great to me!

Dubois - the staves look great.  I admire anyone that loves to chase a ring!  It is the least favorite part for me.  I really have to be in the right frame of mind to do it.  :-\

Gutshot - 9 rings?  Are you kidding me!  :laugh:  See above.  :laugh:

TR - the tiller is looking pretty good to me.  Fred gives good advice on the gizmo.  Drewster could be right, but no hinge yet - something to watch.

I was able to do a little work tonight - pictures on the way.

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1143 on: February 09, 2016, 10:50:32 pm »
The thumb rest set back off the handle enough where the bow wouldn't quite sit flat on the tillering tree and it didn't feel quite right in the hand so I started a modification.  I think it will be look pretty sweet when all is said and done.

Btw...and I don't mind judgment...but this bow is a little better then floor tillered....so there's actually a long way to go...but I keep getting these ideas and they just need to be applied.

Great builds all around fellas!!  Always a pleasure reading this post.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #1144 on: February 09, 2016, 10:52:26 pm »
Fred:  thanks for the advice! I do have a gizmo so I will get that out this weekend.  I think I will back this with some rawhide or cherry bark!  I heard some ticks while flexing the limbs. I'm hoping it was nothing.  What do you guys think?

drewster:  I will watch out for that area.  I do believe that that is the bug hole and I won't be taking anymore of that area.  Thanks everybody I appreciate the help!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1145 on: February 09, 2016, 10:52:40 pm »
Glued on some tip overlays last night.  Used walnut for a nice contrast with the white hackberry (it is a bit soft, but it will do).  Shaped them just enough to file in some grooves so I can get it to brace.  I will clean them up and do the final shaping after tillering.  Plenty of wood there yet (still 11/16" wide at the base of the grooves).
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Loope

« Reply #1146 on: February 09, 2016, 10:57:18 pm »
Wow, I haven't logged on in a couple days and had quite a few pages of posts to go through.  No bow work for me for the past couple days.  I'm in the midst of a big project at work, so we have had several longer than normal days at work, and trying to get my taxes finished.... ughh!  But I hope to get back to the fun in a couple days and have most of the weekend in the shop.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1147 on: February 09, 2016, 10:58:30 pm »
Also glued up a riser for the trilam.  Hard maple with a walnut strip.

Here is a pic of the bows profile after glue up.  Also a front profile picture after cutting out the limb shape.

Try and cut the riser tomorrow...maybe?

ajooter - that zebra wood looks awesome!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1148 on: February 10, 2016, 06:26:49 am »
Couldn't sleep real good last night all I had on my mind was that stinking Osage. So I got up early and finally got both limbs chased down to the same ring. Next I will get the natural tip overlays done and the forward handle. Also do a final lay out of the bow and get it down to limb width. Shave the limb thickness down to 1/2". And ready for floor tiller. Maybe by Friday I can get more pics posted of this #%^>€¥ of a bow.

TimothyR looking good
Hammer time  stick with the hickory
Mitch I want to learn how to do tip overlays like that always been a little scared to do those
Ajooter that handle is still awesome even though you got to modify it. (Should've made you a new tiller tree) lol😃
Everybody else keep up the good work

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1149 on: February 10, 2016, 07:08:41 am »
ajooter, I missed your pic of the bow in the mirror at the bottom of page 66. That's looking great!! And I'm going out to find me a mirror just like that one.

I went to bed at 9 last night and woke up about midnight feeling refreshed so I started on Pg 1 and read thru all of the posts to date although I will admit to just scanning the last 10 pages.

I found a few mistakes I made

#1 and my biggest concern is that when I sent your victims names to you I inadvertently sent some of you your own specs instead of who you are building for.

SO, if the person you are building for has the same specs as you BEWARE. I may have errored. I found 3 of these and believe That is all of them but please double check me just to make sure
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline half eye

« Reply #1150 on: February 10, 2016, 07:23:53 am »
Fred, I'm positive my victims specs aint my own 8)
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1151 on: February 10, 2016, 08:02:09 am »
I'm good on my specs Fred. There not mine.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #1152 on: February 10, 2016, 08:03:56 am »
I got the right guy and specs too.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #1153 on: February 10, 2016, 08:06:15 am »
Mitch, I love that profile!

I have considered gluing a handle on my lilac but I'm sure it would come out with bad lines and looking rough.

How do you guys get the glue lines so tight on anything besides a board to board glue up?

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #1154 on: February 10, 2016, 08:22:20 am »
Mitch, I love that profile!

I have considered gluing a handle on my lilac but I'm sure it would come out with bad lines and looking rough.

How do you guys get the glue lines so tight on anything besides a board to board glue up?

Belt sander. ;)
Steve Bennett