Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 680346 times)

Offline Ranasp

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1170 on: February 10, 2016, 02:04:45 pm »
Finally got started!  Took me a bit to get the proper tools, namely a couple of wedges, but I've split my first log!  And it only cost me one sledgehammer!  >;/  At least I was mostly done with cracking the log open, and for the rest of it I just used the sledge head like a nicely shaped rock and whacked it onto the wedges.  The Black Locust log had a big crack in it already started so with Fred and Richard's advice I started with that one instead of the super solid Ironwood logs.  Looking at the two halves, it seems that they both have a crack started on them, am I right in thinking I should split those off and possibly get a couple of kids bows out of them? There's quite a hook at one end of the thinner (left) half, but since the log is nearly 90" long I think I have some room to work with. 

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1171 on: February 10, 2016, 02:20:14 pm »
I think you'll be fine. Rich has experience with black locust, I've never used it but understand it is similar in quality to osage. The small split offs should be fine for lighter weight kids bows. The rings look nice. Someone will be along shortly to help you proceed with that nice looking stave. It should make an excellent bow.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline half eye

« Reply #1172 on: February 10, 2016, 02:28:42 pm »
Ranasp,
     I dont have a lot of experience with black locust, but there certainly are fellas on here that do.
As to the "off splits", those natural cracks are stress relief when she dried up. Just split it off to determine what you have exactly so you can pick your layout section of the main stave.
     Glad to see you slingin chips
rich

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #1173 on: February 10, 2016, 02:33:49 pm »
half eye:  no particular tribe in mind really, just a style of bow in my head that wants to come out and manifest itself in some wood.  I still toying with it and shaping it in my head since I can't get to my tools yet, that comes this weekend (maybe, hopefully).  I might sinew back the bow, I have a little over 4 ounces of deer leg sinew unprocessed, for you guys who have pounded sinew, do you think 8 or so deer leg sinew would be enough to sinew back a bow?
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #1174 on: February 10, 2016, 03:06:07 pm »
I would split it right right where its showing you it wants  to split at anyway. Looks like there's a few bows in that log.

Turtle, man I got to tell ya....you got a natural talent for tillering those "natural" condition staves, hats off to ya man 8) 8)

Thanks Rich, but I dont think I have anymore talent than anyone else in this trade. Maybe a little more experience than some but not talent. I have been fortunate enough to meet quite a few realy good bow builders from this site and not only learn by watching them but have them step in and help me. Also advice and encouragement from many others on this site that im sure I will never meet. This is the 4th trade ive been in and I have learned something new each time from the bows I received just by studying them and seeing how the builder wrked around problems in a different way than I would have. Thats what makes these trades so great.

Steve Bennett

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1175 on: February 10, 2016, 03:30:54 pm »
Hey guys, help Ranasp and myself out here if you would. Do you have to chase a ring on black locust or can you use the sapwood back?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #1176 on: February 10, 2016, 03:41:57 pm »
I'm almost positive that you should chase a ring on black locust.  I say almost because I have never used BL, but everything I have ever read on here or elsewhere says chase a ring and use the heartwood.

Hey guys, help Ranasp and myself out here if you would. Do you have to chase a ring on black locust or can you use the sapwood back?
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1177 on: February 10, 2016, 03:53:17 pm »
You should remove the sapwood with black locust like you do with osage.  The heartwood is the preferred wood with BL.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #1178 on: February 10, 2016, 03:54:04 pm »
Most people chase a ring but I have seen sapwood bl bows posted on here before.
Steve Bennett

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1179 on: February 10, 2016, 04:54:59 pm »
Ranasp strip that sap wood off find you a good ring to chase you want to lay that bow out to at least 2" if you possibly can. One good thing to remember BL LOVES TO BE HEATED slowly don't scorch it

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #1180 on: February 10, 2016, 05:00:11 pm »
Definitely chase a ring and remove sapwood!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #1181 on: February 10, 2016, 05:10:42 pm »
I've done three surface wood locusts and two chased Smallwood ring locusts for the two-tone effect but really the best way to use it in my experience is to chase the first heart wood ring you're comfortable with and try to cut off a belly stave ;)

Those small splits can actually be turned into full strength shorties if you're so inclined, short narrow bendy numbers are my second favorite to build. Heat treating and flat faces are your friends.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline half eye

« Reply #1182 on: February 10, 2016, 06:05:58 pm »
Thank you Marc
rich

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #1183 on: February 10, 2016, 06:29:44 pm »
I agree with chasing a ring with BL and that it does like heat.  A few pages back you can see the reflex I got from heat treating BL.  It was straight before I took my heat gun to the belly.  My first BL Bow really surprised me with how little wood I needed.  It is good bow wood.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1184 on: February 10, 2016, 06:31:14 pm »
Rich thanks you just made a little girls day. We had snow today so the kids stayed home from school. The mailman brought a package to the door and she opened it and found the bow you made her. She was sending me pics of it and as soon as I got home she was ready to shoot so off to the basement we went. That little bow will smoke her arrows. They are 7/16 Dahl rods with turkey feathers. Thanks again. Paul