Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 689061 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1245 on: February 11, 2016, 09:18:08 pm »
TD that iron wood is looking good the blue wraps look good too.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1246 on: February 11, 2016, 09:19:13 pm »
Tattoo, that looks really cool. One day i'm gonna learn to make a bendy. David, Rich lookin good. Got my hackberry tips recurved and now letting sut for awhile, prolly gonna temper the belly tomorrow. Will post pics tomorrow.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline DuBois

« Reply #1247 on: February 11, 2016, 09:23:30 pm »
Hey tattoo: how long is that HHB? Looking good and I like the colors!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #1248 on: February 11, 2016, 09:25:11 pm »
Thanks guys! Rich, you may be right. At the bottom of that line you drew, there's a decent size knot on the belly side that fell out, then I filled it with epoxy. So I didn't want to bend it too much on either side of it. The knot is about 1/4" around, and was maybe 1/8" deep.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #1249 on: February 11, 2016, 09:49:43 pm »
Stix, a bendy handle bow is the easiest to make in my opinion. I like them for the simplicityof design and ease of build.

Dubois, it's 63" tip to tip. Widest spot is 1 and 3/8th" mostly1 and 1/4" wide though. Get wider just at spots of big lumps and bumps near handle. The thickness varies a bit too, but for the most part is 5/8" at the handle, and tapers to 3/8" at the tips.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1250 on: February 11, 2016, 10:48:45 pm »
Dave - like the bend and like the wraps.  Well done!

Forgot my update :-[.....

Glued the riser on the trilam just before supper - won't be ready to unclamp until tomorrow evening.  I somehow got just a tiny twist when I glued up the limbs.  It made it tough to get really clean lines between the riser and the limbs.  Did the best I could and hopefully it should not be too bad.

Worked on tillering the hackberry for about an hour and half.  Going slow!  Went from the long string to a very low brace of 1".  Limbs look even.  40# at 13".

Will take some pics this weekend.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:53:49 pm by mwosborn »
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Loope

« Reply #1251 on: February 11, 2016, 11:07:36 pm »
It's been one of those days... frustrating day at work fixing other people's messes, stressful meetings, behind schedule, etc... Working on the bow was a necessary therapy tonight.

Got the limbs thinned down to the ready-for-floor-tiller stage, and used heat to straighten the handle somewhat to help get the tips in alignment.  On the last turn of the C-clamp handle, I elicited a cracking sound from the wood, so of course I stopped right there.  Then heard another slight crack a few seconds later :( 

The wood was hot and was relatively easy to move.  I had put a small piece of wood between the handle and the C-clamp to protect the bow, so I am really hoping it was that piece and not the bow making the sound.  At that point I am done for the night... Even though I cringed and am worried about it, this was still good therapy for a crummy day at work.

I will take it off the clamps tomorrow and see if there is any damage.  Hope I don't have to switch to a backup stave.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1252 on: February 11, 2016, 11:54:43 pm »
It appears a lot of guys are making good progress........keep it roll'in.  Like Loope, I got my hickory stave limbs thinned down ready to floor tiller.  The crook at the handle returned while drying the stave more in my hot box, so I re-steamed it this morning and have it clamped.  I'll unclamp it in the morning and hope it holds this time.  Floor tillering time tomorrow.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #1253 on: February 12, 2016, 07:26:01 am »
Hey Dave,
     I must have missed the knot fill part, being ironwood and all thats the way to deal with it, so disregard my earlier,  bet it shoots just fine sir.

Loope, I agree on the therapy thing as well, just something about woodworking 8)
rich

Offline jandersson

« Reply #1254 on: February 12, 2016, 08:39:38 am »
half eye: I'll have a deeper look into the 5 curve/ gullwing design this weekend design. I had a quick look at them and must say they're pretty sexy.

Offline half eye

« Reply #1255 on: February 12, 2016, 10:11:11 am »
ja........
    Once you have a specific shape ya want to do.....make sure to heat in the mid-limb deflex before you sinew. The reason for that is give the bow some stability. By that I mean by having a steep (sharp) reflex at the center and your tips so far forward if you do not bring the tips back some you wont be able to string the bow in the normal manner.....if you can string it and have it stay it will take two people....one to bend it over thier knee and the other to set the string.
   By deflexing at mid limb you will gain back some of the inherant stabilty and avoid the 2 man thing. This will also make your tillering a whole lot easier......the sinew will give you all the power you could ask for so try to get the bow stable first.....it's still going to be strong. Dont ask how I know this >:D >:D
rich

Offline JonW

« Reply #1256 on: February 12, 2016, 10:51:25 am »
Rich ya been gettin any sleep bud?

Offline half eye

« Reply #1257 on: February 12, 2016, 11:04:00 am »
Some here and there, sir >:D >:D >:D
rich

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #1258 on: February 12, 2016, 12:23:34 pm »
David,

Unless I missed it no one posted a dry heat method yet. Here's how I go about it. Clamp your stave with the limb you want reflexed to your workbench, leaving the handle and other limb hanging off into empty space. The way you want it to bend should be down the floor, gravity is your friend. The place where you want the bend to occur should be just off the edge of the table. Make sure your clamps have a good hold. Take a gallon jug full of water and hang it on the limb that's off the table. Put it somewhere in the middle to start. The closer you get to the tip the greater the downward force. Try to rig up a yardstick next to the milk jug so you can measure the movement. Apply veg oil, crisco, tallow, or some other oil to the area you'll be bending. The wood will bend without it, but it really cuts down on scorching and helps to hold the heat a little longer. Fire up your heat gun and take aim. Stay around 6" away and don't hold the heat in the same spot for too long. Heat the back, front, and sides for a couple minutes. If you see the oil start to bubble you're getting close to scorching, but that's right where the best movement occurs. If the weight of the jug alone isn't doing the job you can slide it closer to the tip, but you have to remember to check your yardstick measurement again for the new starting point. Often I just push gently on the limb with the jug. It should bend long before it feels like it doesn't want to move anymore. If it won't move easily keep heating. If the area being heated is pretty thick you may have to reapply oil if you see it dry out. After it moves the desired amount stop heating and wipe excess oil with a rag. This will help to cool the area and stop the movement as well. I leave it in the clamps for a couple hours or overnight if it's my second attempt, because sometimes your corrections don't hold and the limb creeps back to the original shape. You should make your bend a little bit farther than your target distance because there will be some creep back, maybe a 1/2 inch to an inch.  Go slow and remember you can try it again in the same spot as many times as you need to as long as you don't burn the spot.

I think I covered it all. Let me know if you have a question. I won't be home until after dinner though. I know there was a good tutorial on dry heat somewhere if you want to look it up and read that as well. The more info to cross reference the better.

Rich,
Have you ever used one of those hand held steam cleaners to do your bending. It's a nice way to avoid setting up in the kitchen. Plus they put out 20 times more steam than a pot of water. I rarely steam, but when I do I'm glad I have that little thing.     
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1259 on: February 12, 2016, 12:30:13 pm »
Well darn, I'm not having any success with the short time steaming on my hickory handle.  I took it out of the form this morning after steaming it yesterday and it has already started moving back to it original shape.  I'll steam it for the third time after lunch and try 35 or 40 minutes this time......and leave it in the form clamped for four or five days.  Maybe the third try with have some charm.  The small part of the handle I'm trying to bend is an inch wide and 2" think.  Guess in just needs more time in the sauna.
Drew - Boone, NC