Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 680922 times)

Offline half eye

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1260 on: February 12, 2016, 12:47:01 pm »
Dakota, never tried one of them.....sounds like it might be worth a shot.

Drewster, sorry it isn't working for you, maybe need the heat gun?
rich

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1261 on: February 12, 2016, 01:10:13 pm »
Rich, steam has worked for me in the past on hickory but I have been steaming it a lot longer.  I'll keep at it til it works :-)
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #1262 on: February 12, 2016, 02:07:59 pm »
Dakota

do you heat more underneath or on the top?

I seem to remember that heating the inside of the bend, worked sooner than heating the outside, on arrows.

williw

Offline DuBois

« Reply #1263 on: February 12, 2016, 02:48:18 pm »
ja........
    Once you have a specific shape ya want to do.....make sure to heat in the mid-limb deflex before you sinew. The reason for that is give the bow some stability. By that I mean by having a steep (sharp) reflex at the center and your tips so far forward if you do not bring the tips back some you wont be able to string the bow in the normal manner.....if you can string it and have it stay it will take two people....one to bend it over thier knee and the other to set the string.
   By deflexing at mid limb you will gain back some of the inherant stabilty and avoid the 2 man thing. This will also make your tillering a whole lot easier......the sinew will give you all the power you could ask for so try to get the bow stable first.....it's still going to be strong. Dont ask how I know this >:D >:D
rich

C'mon Rich, tell us how ya know this  >:D >:D

Offline half eye

« Reply #1264 on: February 12, 2016, 04:56:26 pm »
Hey fellas,
      Here is one reason why the old guy is kind of slow....5 days straight of snow, last 3 are accompanied by 30-35 mph wind, wind chills down to about -20 degrees. Diggin out twice a day. Explicative deleted >:D >:D   Visibility down to about 800 feet.
rich

Mr. DuBois....no sir

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #1265 on: February 12, 2016, 04:58:41 pm »
I know how you feel Rich,,, no snow here but this bitter cold is driving me crazy!!!- Hammertime

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #1266 on: February 12, 2016, 05:26:28 pm »
Aw come on you guys, it hasn't fallen below +3 degrees C (37F) much more than a half dozen times here this winter and we haven't had more than an inch of snow in several years - your pictures are killing me!  Need to build a snowman and go sledding sooo bad - haven't had a snowday off work for 3 winters  :( >:D

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #1267 on: February 12, 2016, 05:52:25 pm »

Finally got to start on my new bow after the first one didn't want to go to 28". Got a nice large seasoned BL stave sawn in half and I am chasing a ring now.

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #1268 on: February 12, 2016, 05:54:30 pm »
Other stave in the first pic is not locust its cherry.

Offline half eye

« Reply #1269 on: February 12, 2016, 06:03:41 pm »
Hey Ryan.....You'll get it whipped this time bud 8)  I already lost one also ::)  Nice looking staves you have there though.
rich

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #1270 on: February 12, 2016, 06:26:59 pm »
When I heat with the steamer I make a "tube" of tin foil and slide it down the stave to the area I want to heat. Then, twist the open ends closed. I poke a hole in the middle  big enough to fit the nozzle of the steamer. I also poke a small hole in each end of my now sealed tube. The hardest part is trying to half squeeze the trigger for a light flow. If you full squeeze it blows the tube apart. The neat part about the tube is it holds the heat much longer. When you have everything all clamped up, just rip open the tube and allow to cool.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #1271 on: February 12, 2016, 06:36:49 pm »
I'm going on nights this weekend so I'll get a lot more done on the bows. Life as been getting in the way a bit.  And I want to make sure the bow is ready to bend after the heating.  The weather has been great here in southern Oklahoma so I'm going to take a few hours to hunt some rock tomorrow and then come home and work on the bow.  You guys up north are getting hammered with that cold stuff.  I think I would freeze instantly!   ;D
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline DC

« Reply #1272 on: February 12, 2016, 06:37:51 pm »
When I heat with the steamer I make a "tube" of tin foil and slide it down the stave to the area I want to heat. Then, twist the open ends closed. I poke a hole in the middle  big enough to fit the nozzle of the steamer. I also poke a small hole in each end of my now sealed tube. The hardest part is trying to half squeeze the trigger for a light flow. If you full squeeze it blows the tube apart. The neat part about the tube is it holds the heat much longer. When you have everything all clamped up, just rip open the tube and allow to cool.

I use a plastic bread bag.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #1273 on: February 12, 2016, 06:43:39 pm »
The forecast temperature for my area of Minnesota tonight is -12.  I like it when it gets this cold because it makes me appreciate my wood stove more.  Hopefully I will get some. Work done on plan a and plan b this weekend. 

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #1274 on: February 12, 2016, 08:18:32 pm »
Hey Ryan.....You'll get it whipped this time bud 8)  I already lost one also ::)  Nice looking staves you have there though.
rich
its a great shooter just didn't trust it to go to 28" with the bad knot in it.