Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 676073 times)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1320 on: February 14, 2016, 10:06:03 am »
Rich, looking forward to those pics! Might have a couple pics today if I can get to it.

Went to minus 16 last night and breezy. The breeze was the problem. Froze the inside pressure pump, thawed that at midnight and put a clip-on light there, ran the water slow overnight, but not fast enough for the hot -- froze that pipe, thawed it this morning, put salt in the tub drain trap last night, that froze anyway. New backup kero furnace wasn't able to keep up overnight (piece of junk won't stay on high -- internal computer programmed not to!) -- 53 inside this morning, got the woodstove fired up good and temp is gradually rising -- up to 59 after 3 hours in some parts of the house, but it's sunny.  Drinkin coffee with most systems up again. High will be +6 today with a 25 below wind chill. Tuesday is supposed to be 42 and rain -- go figure!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline sleek

« Reply #1321 on: February 14, 2016, 10:22:07 am »
Good grief. What part of hell do you live in?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline half eye

« Reply #1322 on: February 14, 2016, 10:28:44 am »
PlanB....just about the same here, sir.....but we only hit -14. Sort of gives a clear meaning to "bitter cold", yes?  At this time of year we got a joke that goes " we live here why?" 8)

Stuck, With all the work you have in already I'm curious if you could consider a possible alternative? If you were to bind that grip with say 3/8 to 1/2 wide raw-hide strapping you couldn't move it even if you tried. Of course it would no longer be a take-down (at least not without a bunck of work). There are quite a few very heavy asiatic bows made like that and they were solid when found. Not trying to tell ya what to do....just maybe give you a possible option.
     Having said that, you have a plan and aint nothing wrong with "sticking to it".
rich

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #1323 on: February 14, 2016, 10:31:53 am »
I was thinking about moving up north where it snows a little more so the kids would know what snow was. But I think I will change my mind after hearing planB's problem. Goon night you guys got it rough up there!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1324 on: February 14, 2016, 10:40:29 am »
Rich my hat's off to you buddy with all the snow you have, too. Sleek, Vermont. But we have it easy here -- across the border in NH on Mount Washington it was 28 below zero yesterday with 88 mile an hour wind. Personally, I'd find that kinda irritating. I think it was last year they had one day where it was the second coldest spot on earth -- somewhere in Antarctica edged it out. And it was also hurricane force wind at the time, so wind chill was ridiculous. People stay in the observatory there all winter. Must be like living on the moon!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1325 on: February 14, 2016, 10:52:32 am »
It's cold as...hell..? here to. I'm quite used to it, but this stuff will cut anybody if your not wrapped up tight. Add 15-20 mph winds and you're done fir.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1326 on: February 14, 2016, 10:55:00 am »
Well dang, my hickory stave is giving me a hard time.  It had a crook in it so I laid out the profile so the crook would be in the small part of the handle.  I thought I would be able to straighten it easily.  I've steamed it three times to no avail......10 minutes, fifteen minutes and now 35 minutes.  I don't know whether to try steaming it 45 minutes or trying dry heat.  The last time I clamped it in a way to isolate the small part of the handle so it would bend there, but it didn't hold.  The section I'm trying to bend is 1" wide and 2" thick.  I'm afraid to make it thinner until I see exactly how I will need to do the final shaping.  I've never had this issue with hickory before.  Any thoughts?
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #1327 on: February 14, 2016, 10:56:51 am »
PlanB....just about the same here, sir.....but we only hit -14. Sort of gives a clear meaning to "bitter cold", yes?  At this time of year we got a joke that goes " we live here why?" 8)

Stuck, With all the work you have in already I'm curious if you could consider a possible alternative? If you were to bind that grip with say 3/8 to 1/2 wide raw-hide strapping you couldn't move it even if you tried. Of course it would no longer be a take-down (at least not without a bunck of work). There are quite a few very heavy asiatic bows made like that and they were solid when found. Not trying to tell ya what to do....just maybe give you a possible option.
     Having said that, you have a plan and aint nothing wrong with "sticking to it".
rich

Trying to learn all I can about take-downs, else I would epoxy the thing back together and bind the handle really tight; once this bow has taught me all I need I can put it to one side and start the trade bow happy it'll go together properly.

Offline half eye

« Reply #1328 on: February 14, 2016, 11:09:48 am »
Drewster,
      The problem might be trying to correct in too small of an area....ya know how hickory grain is >:D If the localized heat is the way you need to go then maybe dry dry heat. I dont have any experience with that but my understanding is that hick responds real well to dry heat.
      If the steam aint working then maybe take that bad-boy out behind the woodshed and let him talk to Mr. heatgun >:D >:D >:D
rich

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1329 on: February 14, 2016, 11:23:10 am »
Well the old boatbuilding steam bent frame recommendation was 1 hr/inch thickness for steam, get it to the form in seconds, and then don't unclamp for a day. Allow for spring back in the form. And not all woods steam bend well. Also steam green wood. Too dry was problematic. If any of the above fits, maybe that's the cause.

I find rich's 5 minute steaming does work on black birch but in a thin limb section. Haven't tried a handle bend with that.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1330 on: February 14, 2016, 11:46:15 am »
Drew, no less than a 45 minute steam for that job. It will move and stay put. Be sure steam is reaching at least 2-3" beyond the area you're wanting to bend.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #1331 on: February 14, 2016, 11:57:09 am »
It's gone down to 37 below up here for 2 nights in a row now, the first night with brisk North winds.  Fortunately that's supposed to be the end of it.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline half eye

« Reply #1332 on: February 14, 2016, 12:07:28 pm »
Fellas,
    Here is some pics of a little sinewed yeller 'nanna....medium weight, highly reflexed, sinewed with deer and moose and a little snaky......wont post anymore on this one till it has all it's rawhide, snake skins, finished string etc........and yes it's quick.
    Enjoy the pics and I'll have more up today of the heavyweight Iroquois, think I got the tiller where it needs to be at this point....
rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #1333 on: February 14, 2016, 12:26:02 pm »
 Nice bend Rich 8)  Looks like a screamer :o
                                                                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #1334 on: February 14, 2016, 12:32:58 pm »
I had -2f this morning and thought that was cold. Glad I'm not as far north as some of you are.
Steve Bennett