Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 680183 times)

Offline half eye

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1335 on: February 14, 2016, 12:42:55 pm »
Got news for ya Turtle.....when it's minus anything and some wind it's cold bud, once ya get to popsicle stage your there 8) 8)
rich

Offline willie

« Reply #1336 on: February 14, 2016, 12:58:10 pm »
Rich -
that one nice bit of work there, like the reflex.

Offline half eye

« Reply #1337 on: February 14, 2016, 01:07:48 pm »
Willie, for a bow a little over 50" that 6" of reflex with static tips is a real bugger to just get it to stay braced.....they got an annoying habit of trying to turn inside out. This one took some "persuasion" but finally cooperated. I string all mine with push pull and to do that with this guy ya need a strong grip till ya get the tips back some but then everything is real good.
rich

Offline willie

« Reply #1338 on: February 14, 2016, 02:20:59 pm »
Rich-
just out of curiosity, Have you seen any NA bows with double nocks or a tip shape that would enable the use of a stringer? (for those pesky highly reflexed designs)

willie

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #1339 on: February 14, 2016, 02:30:37 pm »
Here  is choice 3 I am working on, Elm, 66 ntn going for a elliptical tiller, have it out to 22". see any issues? Hammertime

Offline hammertime

« Reply #1340 on: February 14, 2016, 02:34:24 pm »
This is an ELB style and I am not familiar with these so any input would be helpful but so far it seems to be making a nice bow-Hammertime

Offline half eye

« Reply #1341 on: February 14, 2016, 02:36:13 pm »
Willie, I have not seen any like that.....dont mean they were not used just that I have not seen any.

Hammertime,  Because of the pic angle I really cant say on the bottom limb, but the upper one could use some more bend in the outer half. So if they look the same to you (the bottom and top) then you may wish to get the outsides moving some. For what it's worth getting more bend in the outer half will really increase your draw length but will not have much effect of the overall draw weight.
rich

Offline hammertime

« Reply #1342 on: February 14, 2016, 02:45:40 pm »
Ok Thanks Rich will do some scraping there-Hammertime

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1343 on: February 14, 2016, 03:38:17 pm »
Rich that's a nice looking little yeller bow right there

Ajooter I got that raw hide on my little yeller static recurve today. That stuff is easy to work with

Been out for a hike 19 degrees carring a chainsaw and snowing about 2" hr. Well anyways cut a tree I've been wanting for a year. Got 3 6' percimon logs about 12" through. I'm stocking my depleted stave pile this year regardless. I have to have more bow wood. Now I have t snake those logs out that will be the fun part.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1344 on: February 14, 2016, 04:03:58 pm »
Dang Rich, how many bows have u made since this trade has started. Every other page has u and a new bow. Your a machine, my man.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #1345 on: February 14, 2016, 04:07:28 pm »
I've put a decent amount of work into the rock elm pyramid. I realized I should stop for a couple pics before I continued. I flipped the tips a tad and I put a single layer of sinew/hide glue for protection after I was happy with the floor tiller. A friend finally found this fabric they'd been hunting for. I'd asked if she could find me some natural looking snakeskin. She came through. I airbrushed some detail and some darker shadow. The original print looked faded. It was definitely less work than painting a pattern from scratch. The fabric went on with TB3 after the sinew was dry. I'll be putting a highlight color into the skin next. Then tiller tree. 

I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline half eye

« Reply #1346 on: February 14, 2016, 04:14:49 pm »
Dang Gutshot, you a glutton for punishment aint ya? That persimmon is some darned heavy wood.

Stix.....only 4 if you count Ms. Laurens and I did not make the 'nanner, just tillering for a fellow member. But I did have to call some friends for advice on how to whoop on that thing cause it was skinning me up pretty good at the beginning.  8) 8) 8)

Man Kid, thats lookin real fine right there, cant hardly wait to see her when she's all slicked up. All these bows sneekin up on being done... got to love that cause we gettin to the eye candy part.
rich

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1347 on: February 14, 2016, 05:05:00 pm »
That Iroquois style bow is really nice, Rich! That's gonna make someone happy.
Super looking job Dakota!
I only tillered indoors today, no photos, just slow going. Bow is low braced.
Turtle, Pearl Marc, cold is cold, but okay because of the beauty we get in a couple months. Hate the wind, though, when it is.
Hammer, I'm with Rich -- bottom bending nicely.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1348 on: February 14, 2016, 06:46:31 pm »
Ok I said I would post pics this weekend of my progress Ontario forward handle Osage with natural tip overlays. This joker has had slot of hrs put into it so far and needs lots more. I might be lucky to get it done by this time next year. Well any ways here it is

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1349 on: February 14, 2016, 06:49:18 pm »
Lots of great progress fellas...nice little bow rich...glad that hide worked for ya gut....I have tomorrow off so I'll be getting into it for sure...had some misfortune aligning my tips...I forgot to pad on the side of the limb and it dented pretty badly...I'll clean it up and see what happens.  I want this bow to be as purdy as it can when I'm done with it.