Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 675959 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline jandersson

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1456 on: February 17, 2016, 07:36:18 pm »
I like that, I'm gonna try it out right now.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1457 on: February 17, 2016, 09:09:53 pm »
Ok I haven't posted a pic of the Black Locus in awhile becomes of the Osage has consumed my time. So anyways I've attempted a style of tip overlays that I've never tried before so here it is. Don't have a clue what type of wood it is besides it smells like some sort of fancy coffee when your cutting and sanding on it. Please tell me if they need to be thinner shorter or just plain take em off and try again. I'm a big boy and can take it.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1458 on: February 17, 2016, 09:21:02 pm »
Can you post an unbraced photo?

Patrick

Turtle. Your upper limthe fade out the the bump in the limb looks flat to me. But that's me. Half Eye or Fred might see something different

Yes,  I worked the fade to about 6 inches out after I posted the pics and it seems to be coming around better.

After you get your fade moving better. Take a look  at about a 4 inch spot just past your whoopty-doo. Looks like it's not Bending there to me. But just check it, because I would have to see it bend myself to be sure. Your thickness taper will help to.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #1459 on: February 17, 2016, 09:32:04 pm »
Gut,  you can do whatever you want with overlays. What you have will work just fine.
If they were mine I would work in getting the transition from the back of the bow to the overlay smoothed out so it looks and feels like one piece of wood. And the area past the knock groove is all excess.  You could shorten them or not, it doesn't matter but you could take some off there but not absolutely necessary.  Just what I would do.

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1460 on: February 17, 2016, 09:52:38 pm »
Gutshot - here are a few pics of a tip that might give you some ideas.  This is not one of my bows, they are some pics I copied and saved - don't know who to give credit to, but someone here on PA most likely!

x2 what Patrick said.  You can shape them however you like.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1461 on: February 17, 2016, 10:02:05 pm »
Tillered a bit more on my hackberry bow.

Currently out to 20" and still have room to make weight.  Beginning to take a little set - appears to be pretty even and distributed ok.

Pics - Brace, at 20", and unbraced.

Question 1 - do you think the bends are looking ok for a parallel profile?

Question 2 - this bow has not been heated at all.  It started with just a bit of natural reflex.  Do you think it would benefit from a belly toasting and maybe a bit of added reflex at this point?  Weight is not an issue as I should be able to make that fine.  Just wondering if it would make for a snappier shooting bow?

Thanks,

Mitch

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1462 on: February 17, 2016, 10:09:25 pm »
Started heat treating the stick....bought a mike stand....really digging it!

That's really coming along MWO

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #1463 on: February 17, 2016, 10:50:21 pm »
Tillered a bit more on my hackberry bow.

Currently out to 20" and still have room to make weight.  Beginning to take a little set - appears to be pretty even and distributed ok.

Pics - Brace, at 20", and unbraced.

Question 1 - do you think the bends are looking ok for a parallel profile?

Question 2 - this bow has not been heated at all.  It started with just a bit of natural reflex.  Do you think it would benefit from a belly toasting and maybe a bit of added reflex at this point?  Weight is not an issue as I should be able to make that fine.  Just wondering if it would make for a snappier shooting bow?

Thanks,

Mitch

Looks to me like the outer third on the left limb is a bit stiff. Right limb looks like it's getting most of the bend closer to the fade. Mid limb is Bending some, but stiffer on the outer third. Just my thoughts.
Patrick

Offline half eye

« Reply #1464 on: February 18, 2016, 07:06:05 am »
Gutshot,  Think the overlays look nice, and the overall shape is really a matter of personal taste as was said. If they look good to your eye you can always reduce them after shooting it some if it looks like they are an issue.  They used to look like that "back in the day" when a lot of bowstringers were made with leather pockets 8)

MW,  I cant see good enough to see the actual numerators on you horizontal line but if you look at all you pics you can see that for the last 2 denominators your limb tips are stiff with veru little to no bend. That is where your set is creeping in (compared to your original line). Basically I believe that you are going for stiff tips BUT right now they are too long....so if you work the bend a little further out toward the tips you will relieve that strain point at the second denominator, and still have the stiff tips.
    It is a testament to your even tiller though that both limbs are showing the same point of set (or stress).
rich

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1465 on: February 18, 2016, 07:51:28 am »
Thanks Pearl Drums, that's very helpful to me.

Is there a different tillering balance for a bow for a person who holds a bow more toward the top of the hand between the thumb and index finger with a more open hand than one who holds the grip hitting mainly lower in the hand?

If I send a bow in a trade is it possible it seems balanced for me but not somebody else because I don't know how they hold it? (I'm right at the point in tillering now and starting to shoot it where this is something I would like to understand.)

Thanks again for answering these questions.

I suppose its possible. If you are making a bow for another person in never hurts to ask if they like a low wrist or a high wrist. That shifts the balance point by up to 2". Truth is? 98% of the bows we all build are a typical med/low wrist type grip and most any of us would shoot them fine without balance issues. And, its not hard to grab a bow and find its balance point. I shape most of my grips in a way that you cant grab them wrong, its not a choice basically.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1466 on: February 18, 2016, 01:03:48 pm »
Thanks Patrick and Rich - appreciate the help!

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #1467 on: February 18, 2016, 01:10:28 pm »
No problem bud, I've been just watching for a while. Haven't felt like posting a bunch. But I'm back on track now and it feels good to help out again.

Patrick

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1468 on: February 18, 2016, 02:14:42 pm »
Thanks, Pearl Drums, that clears up some things for me.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #1469 on: February 18, 2016, 03:24:03 pm »
Thanks, Pearl Drums, that clears up some things for me.

Yes thanks Pearl!  I never thought about that but I did learn something from your responses.  Myself, I kinda make the handles like you said, where you can't mistake where to hold them.

Patrick