Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 689182 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1485 on: February 18, 2016, 07:59:29 pm »
I don't want a toilet brush man!!!

But I'll take a plunger  ;)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1486 on: February 18, 2016, 08:05:40 pm »
I don't want a toilet brush man!!!

But I'll take a plunger  ;)

Now that's funny right there!

My wife would swear that I would win! What she don't know is that it could be worse if I didn't have to work in the driveway to make my big messes!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1487 on: February 18, 2016, 08:20:03 pm »
Got one limb done...might have gotten a little crazy with the reflex.  Really like using the mike stand to heat treat.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1488 on: February 18, 2016, 08:21:27 pm »
Drewster, nice job taming that stave and I have to comment that your shop is real nice. It's so tidy and organized that it's making me feel like a slob, looks like a very nice place to be making bows. :)

Hey Greg, maybe we should start a competition   on a new thread. We could call it "The dirtiest shop on PA"  we could give away a toilet brush for the worst one. That way they could clean up all their crap!  >:D

Patrick

I would be in the running for it for sure

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1489 on: February 18, 2016, 08:35:31 pm »

Drewster what kind of tools you got there hanging above the brace and bit
[/quote]

Gutshot, a couple of bow saws.  The one on the left is a store bought one.  The one on the right is one I made many years ago......it used to be my band saw.  Don't use it much any more.  I finally got a REAL band saw   ;-)
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1490 on: February 18, 2016, 08:40:38 pm »
Ajooter, like the handle lam. I would definetly be in for messy shop, actually messy bench, the rest of garage is "organised" 😝
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1491 on: February 18, 2016, 08:45:04 pm »
Drewster, nice job taming that stave and I have to comment that your shop is real nice. It's so tidy and organized that it's making me feel like a slob, looks like a very nice place to be making bows. :)

Thanks Greg.  Some of my shop IS NOT that well organized.  But, I do like to be able to grab the tool I need quickly and then have a home to put it back in place.  At least I "think" it makes me more efficient......sometimes ;-)
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1492 on: February 18, 2016, 08:54:41 pm »

Drewster what kind of tools you got there hanging above the brace and bit

Gutshot, a couple of bow saws.  The one on the left is a store bought one.  The one on the right is one I made many years ago......it used to be my band saw.  Don't use it much any more.  I finally got a REAL band saw   ;-)
[/quote]

That's cool I like old hand tools and sometimes you just got to ask what stuff is. Thanks

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #1493 on: February 18, 2016, 09:02:53 pm »
ITS UK BASKETBALL TIME SO IM TAKING THE NIGHT OFF

I didn't know basketball was big in the United Kingdom.

University of Kentucky not the UNITED KINDOM

Just yanking your chain  8)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #1494 on: February 19, 2016, 01:15:22 pm »
I started working on an eastern red cedar sapwood bow last night and got it bending through the handle a bit (enough to start tillering). It's just shy of 54". Anyone know anything about erc sapwood?  I'm sure it should be rawhide backed. But will it hit a 28" draw or am I wasting my time. I'll get pics up later today. It's 1 1/2"@ fades. I appreciate any advice on this guy.  I'm working this weekend but. Get off Monday morning. Going to start backing a few bows so I can get them shooting.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #1495 on: February 19, 2016, 01:20:42 pm »
Hoping this weekend is going to be a littlle slower paced than last weekend.  I have my Plan B stave to chase a ring on, and I'm considereing trying to work Plan A to floor tiller to get a little less wood on there that has to dry. 

I've been watching the back on that stave to see if it has any checks appearing.  For those of you who use Osage a lot, one a ring is chased, should I reapply a sealent to the back to keep it from possibly checking? 

Also, that stave is probably 1.5" to 1.75" thick, maybe even 2 inches in places.  Should I think about splitting it again from the belly side, to get it down to maybe between 3/4 and 1" thick?  If I go that route, should I kerf it like I did the back?  If that works, maybe I can use the belly split part to make my daughter(s) a bow, I have some bamboo that would work for a backing, it's only 3/4 inch wide after thinning it to 1/8", so I can't use it on a "grownup" bow (not long enough for an ELB type bow either).
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #1496 on: February 19, 2016, 01:28:55 pm »
I'd definitely reapply a sealer do the back after chasing a ring.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #1497 on: February 19, 2016, 06:03:01 pm »
 Sidmand, Timothy is correct, I have seen Osage check after chasing a ring even if it's a seasoned stave, not many times though...My favorite is good old Elmer's glue, just a quick thin coat and you can wipe it off with a damp rag later...
                                                                                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1498 on: February 19, 2016, 08:14:26 pm »
TR - I have worked erc a couple of times, but never something that short.  I think you would be hard pressed to get 28" out of it...but you certainly could prove me wrong!  I would suggest sinew backing it.  ERC makes a really light snappy bow.  Getting it there without it exploding is the tricky part.  :laugh:

This one is mostly sapwood - sinewed back.  I hunted with it this year and shot a nice doe with it.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,38400.msg509821.html#msg509821

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline half eye

« Reply #1499 on: February 19, 2016, 08:33:45 pm »
Well fellas, got my 3 done and you have to settle for teaser pic.....some parts are not shown to save some surprises for recipients (like decorated bellies etc.).

Enjoy the pics >:D I'm going to start on a series of bows that I'm calling my "magnum opus". we'll see how that goes.
rich