Author Topic: Harry Drake record yew bow  (Read 34836 times)

Offline loon

Re: Harry Drake record yew bow
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2016, 11:28:40 pm »
In 1993, Harry Drake was obsessed with perfecting the Turkish flight bow and had a personal goal of for himself to reach 600 yards with a 50-lb primitive bow.  It was a rare unrealized goal for him, but will surely be worth celebrating when someone does manage to rise to the challenge. I would like to establish a special trophy and recognition for the first to do this. Anyone up for it?

Drake was around 80 years old at the time, so that should give most of us some time. Hahaha!

Alan
Highly reflexed Korean horn bow with rail tong-ah overdraw and very short, light arrow, and 50#@34" draw? Maybe??

mikekeswick

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2016, 01:45:00 pm »
I don't think a hornbow could be that fast at 50#.
I have a few heavier Turkish flight bows 'in the works' so to speak at the moment. Hopefully they will be about 80 - 90# when finished.
Allen - I need to search paleoplanet again for the tutorial you posted on how you make your cane flight arrows. I finally got some sections of Tonkin cane that should work.

Offline avcase

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2016, 05:40:45 pm »
Mikekeswick,
I believe it is still there, but I will need to update the build-a-long on my split-cane flight arrows with some changes I've made since.

On another front, I am working with the use of heat-treating and optimized lower drag shapes to see how close I can match flight arrow performance with all-wood arrow shafts. I believe I can get pretty close.

Alan

Offline PatM

mikekeswick

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2016, 03:23:21 am »
Thanks for the link.
Alan I'd be very interested to hear the changes you've made to the process. I will wait for another couple of days to hopefully hear back from you. Also I only have a few pieces of Tonkin. Is there any chance you could supply the name of your supplier? It's very hard to come across Tonkin in this country.

mikekeswick

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2016, 04:25:05 am »
I've found a Tonkin supplier and am assembling the bits and pieces I need to have a go at making some of these bad boys! I am really looking forward to seeing how they go.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2016, 05:34:28 am »
I've found a Tonkin supplier and am assembling the bits and pieces I need to have a go at making some of these bad boys! I am really looking forward to seeing how they go.
Be sure to post some pics... I don't have the patience for split cane arrows... but... I've extrapolated and I reckon I'll have the patience to do a horn bow when I'm about 158  ::)
Del  :laugh:
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.