Author Topic: Honeysuckle Longbow  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Badger

Honeysuckle Longbow
« on: January 25, 2016, 03:31:33 pm »
  Does anyone here know of any war bows or heavy longbows built from honeysuckle?

Offline DuBois

Re: Honeysuckle Longbow
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 04:23:47 pm »
I don't know but I do have an interesting stave in the rafters. Sure seems like some dense wood.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 05:15:40 pm »
 I have made shorties before but I finally got my hands on a piece large enough for a warbow if it seasons properly, it is amazing wood. 

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 09:40:20 pm »
I've not made a warbow period but its on my list ;D and i have a honeysuckle stave i'm going to try and make into one.

as far as your stave if you cut it in the winter(depending on how cold it gets were you are) you should be good just seal the ends, pretty standard procedure. and if you can leave the bark on, it peals off pretty easily even after its dry.
if you cut it in the spring/summer you need to pick your belly side and rough it out otherwise it will check exactly where you don't want it too :'( 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 10:02:45 pm »
Are you talking about the honeysuckle bush with the good smelling flowers?  That stuff is good bow wood? 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 10:36:47 pm »
invasive exotic we brought over from somewhere in Asia, japan maybe? i'm not sure.
little red berrys and leaves that stay green entill the frost and snow kills em, yep the crap is everywhere.  yes it will make a good bow ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 10:51:01 pm »
Maybe Amur Honeysuckle. 
Clint, I think you are talking about fragrant (winter) honeysuckle. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 03:37:38 am »
  The one I am going to cut is called coral honeysuckle. All the staves I have worked to date were gifted to me so I don't know for sure if coral is any good or not.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 08:17:07 am »
We have some kind of invasive honeysuckle all over here.  It has the small red berries.  We are planning on cutting a lot of it out of our woods.  I'll watch for a piece big enough for a stave.  The property that I work at has been taken over by the stuff.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 09:34:31 am »
You don't need very much I've made a 45# bow from a stick that was only 1 1/4" at the handle

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 10:43:54 am »
Will keep eye peeled for appropriate size piece. Thanks for doing this post!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 02:49:54 am »
How would amur honeysuckle compare to cape honeysuckle for bow making? Though they aren't closely related.. Seems like amur is the invasive stuff. There doesn't seem to be any here in SoCal, just cape.