Author Topic: History of the US National Archery Association - Flight  (Read 6938 times)

Offline avcase

History of the US National Archery Association - Flight
« on: January 25, 2016, 04:24:38 pm »
For anyone interested in flight archery history, I recommend doing a search for "The History of the NAA" volumes 1 & 2, Rhode.  Fortunately, there are Acrobat PDF files available for free online if you do a search. The volumes contains hundreds of pages of meeting minutes, articles, and event reports starting in 1879, and continuing through 1977. To make it easier to find flight archery specific info, I open the document and use the search function to find the keyword "flight". It works great.

The first mention comes in 1884, when rules were put in place that allows archers to use any bow and arrows of their choice for the flight competition. Prior to that, the flight round had to be shot with the same bow and arrows used in the target competition.

Under the new rules, the flight record advanced to 234 yards, by Dr. Webb of Eaton Ohio, and it was noted he used "ordinary heavy weight target arrows." Pictures show the bows used for early flight resembled straight low-poundage English longbows.  Some pictures show the tiller with a stiff center section and stiffer outer limbs.

It took another 43 years until the modern flight records exceeded 300 yards!  In 1928, Howard Hill broke the prior record 1927 record of 294 yards 10 inches by sending an arrow 300 yards, 9 inches.

Alan

Alan

Offline Badger

Re: History of the US National Archery Association - Flight
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 06:12:55 pm »
Thanks for posting this Allen, it will be fun reading.

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 05:44:38 am »
Thank you, Alan, I found that a bit difficult to find, so here´ s the direct link: http://www.usaarcheryrecords.org/History/NAAHist/History.html
That´s a lot of stuff!!!!
Michael
..........the way of underdoing.............

Offline avcase

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 02:52:27 pm »
I used to feel a bit frustrated with the pace of advancement with our primitive flight bows over the past 10-15 years, but reading through these archives give me a much more realistic perspective.  Given the fact that it took 43 years to go from 234 yards, to just over 300 yards with primitive equipment makes me feel that we are advancing quite well at present. It feels we are on the cusp of breaking 400 yards with sub-50lb primitive flight bows using natural material strings and arrows. This would have been unthinkable in 1930. 

Of course, forums like this one give us a huge advantage!

Alan

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 03:34:21 pm »
   Allen, what type of fletching were they using to get those impressive distances? What type of arrow rests? Do you have any idea on arrow weights? Those guys were impressive! I would like to see feather rests allowed on primitive. I think a lot of information may have been lost and will need to be rediscovered.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 05:43:02 pm »
Wow
Thanks Alan
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline avcase

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 07:43:58 pm »
Steve,
I think feathers were used almost exclusively up until the mid-1940's. By the late 1940's to early 1950's, acetate vanes took over.  George Alavekiu started using razor blades as early as the late 1950's.

The oldest flight arrows I have are from the early 1950's and they all have acetate vanes. Weights are 110 grains up to 170 grains. Lengths are 22"-25".

It is strange to think that if Howard Hill showed up today with his 1930 record 90lb+ bow that he would be blown out of the water by our young women flight archers using 35lb Steve Gardner self bows.

Alan