Author Topic: Broad head flight arrows?  (Read 8839 times)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Broad head flight arrows?
« on: January 26, 2016, 11:03:02 pm »
I'm not sure I will ever have the patience to perfectly match a light flight arrow to a bow. I also think the 10gpp is a better test of a bow. Can anybody post a picture of a broad head  flight arrow of give me any advice on making them right? I think most bowyers eventually feel the draw to prove their bows in flight.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Badger

Re: Broad head flight arrows?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 11:19:20 pm »
  Chuck, broadhead competition does not use flight arrows. We shoot 500 grain arrows with a broadhead no shorter than 1" in length and must not pass through a 7/8" ring. The fletching is a minimum 3 fletches 4" long and 1/2" high. Pretty much a regular hunting arrow.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 03:56:17 pm »
Thanks Badger. Are they tapered shafts or just strait?

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 03:57:43 pm »
Also if you have a 60# bow you need a 600g arrow right?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 05:18:52 pm »
I believe it's 500 grains regardless
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline avcase

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 08:09:43 pm »
Yes, the minimum arrow weight is regulated. Per the current rules, you can shoot any weight broadhead arrow you want as long as it is 500 or more grains. It simplifies the certification of the equipment and represents a realistic average hunting weight arrow.

A 10 grains per pound requirement could complicate the process, especially when a competitor learns that their bow gained draw weight in the dry Salt Flats climate.  A fixed grains per pound also makes it very difficult for a person with a short draw length to be competitive in the unlimited draw weight category. With the 500 grain minimum, a short draw person can make up for their lack of draw length with higher draw weights.

Alan

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 04:18:02 pm »
Thanks guys

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 10:35:01 pm »
No arrow length maximum regulations?

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 10:38:11 pm »
No arrow length maximum regulations?

Nope, I usually shoot 28", last year I stretched out to 29" and have been considering going to 30". We had bad conditions last year so I didn't get the benefits of the longer draw.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 09:56:01 pm »
Steve teach me something here. So if you shoot a fifty pound bow at 28" it's ok to draw the same bow to 30". I must  be wrong in what I just ask. Help the dummy Steve.
Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 08:51:58 am »
  Arvin, the bow has to way 50# where the back of the broadhead contacts the back of the bow, doesn't matter how far you draw as long as it does not exceed 50# at that draw length. Last year I shot 50# at 29" for instance.

Offline avcase

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 05:49:22 pm »
How draw weight is measured at these competitions is a pretty important detail to understand. As Steve stated, draw weight is measured using your longest arrow. The broadhead must be mounted horizontal and the weight will be taken at the point the rear of the broadhead touches the bow back at the arrow pass. the draw weight will be measured on a certified scale.  Fortunately, my personal digital scale usually measures within a pound of the certified scale, but I used to have an old spring scale that would be lucky to read within 5lb of the certified scale.

If you happen to have broadhead arrows too long for the desired draw weight, we have allowed the archer to fasten a block of wood to the front of the handle to stop the draw early.

Alan

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 02:03:05 pm »
I very strongly suspect a longer arrow will fly further than a shorter arrow of the same weight. It has to do with the standing wave in front of the arrow. Tje longer the arrow the longer the wave length, less energy lost in flight. A long wave length is lower energy than a short one.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others