Author Topic: 50" Stone Sheep Horn Bow  (Read 23470 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: 50" Stone Sheep Horn Bow
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 12:41:40 pm »
You may have just breathed some life into my project, CH!  Thanks.  I'm curious about the rack photo, also.  Is that an Osage in the center?
1’—>1’

Offline ChristopherHwll

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2016, 01:00:50 pm »
Thats great Parnell! Yes it is Osage. It was a previously very snaky piece that I straightened and now it's ready for sinew or rawhide.  It was carved with a single growth ring back as a self bow but I will back it. The top bow in the back is the first sinew-backed ash bow I ever made. The one infront of it is the second bison horn bow I made years ago.  The one that is strung below them is a glass "hybrid" horse bow that I made. And then the sheep horn bow is the lowest on the rack. Basically several experimental bows from years ago other than the osage and sheep horn bows.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 01:53:29 pm by ChristopherHwll »

Offline Parnell

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2016, 02:17:38 pm »
It's very interesting work.  Glad you are here and you should really make it over to Twin Oaks, if you haven't yet.  Hope to meet you at The Classic in a few months!

Cheers
1’—>1’

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2016, 02:25:08 pm »
Cool. Would love to see some pics of any of your finished horn bows. There's not many posted here

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 12:27:25 am »
Love what you have going here. You are borrowing many designs to make your own unique sheep horn bow. I'm taking note of all the things you do differently than me that make sense. I have wrapped the handle before sinewing. Now I back it over 3 weeks and a few days after tha last layer I wrap the handle thickly. The sinew continues to shrink of course, so I cut it off after a couple , few months and put a new tight wrap on. For the record I corrected twist in one tip of a finished bow with a heat gun and it is fine. For anyone reading this- don't try any heat corrections for 6 months after adding sinew. It needs time to form complex bonds. I know from failure experience. I like to make my hornbows +10 pounds to compensate for the heavy physical weight. They also feel like they draw -10pounds. 
 I'll be looking for this finished bow in the future.

Offline ChristopherHwll

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 10:41:43 am »
Thanks Chuck.  You are spot on.  I have studied many designs of horn bows over the years being influenced mostly by Native American.  As with any bowyer of today or yesteryear, I have incorporated all that I know into a design tailored by my experience and those influences.  I often imagine about the horn bow designs, that most likely existed and are now lost in history, that were made by the Native Americans.  What we see in museums and private collections are only a tiny fraction of what was once abundant.  I love reading and looking at the paintings of Catlin and Bodmer.  Excellent descriptions and visuals to reference.  In those descriptions one can get the idea that horn/antler bows were in great multitude.

I can't wait to see your next horn bow Chuck!

Wizardgoat I just moved to a new place here in Tennessee.  I am just getting my shop set up. I have sold all but a few of my bows but I do have some at my family's ranch.  Next time I am up there I will get pictures to post for you. 

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 08:11:53 pm »
These bows were highly sought after it was looks upon as a high honor to have one of these bows.  Native people would trade most of their horses for a horn/antler bow. And go to lengths to acquire one through blood shed. A lot of these bows were buried with their owners.

I'll have to give your method a try with heat. I usually soak my antlers until they are playable. It's taken up to 3 months.  I know the sheep eaters, crow, and other tribes used the hot springs in the yellow echo system to aid in their horn bow making.

You make very nice bows. Thanks for sharing.
Northern Ute

Offline sleek

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 09:36:07 pm »
Sounds like owning one could have been a death sentence. Probably part of why they were rare. Many may not have wanted one.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others