Author Topic: Arrow shaft maker/time saver  (Read 11800 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Arrow shaft maker/time saver
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 10:57:21 am »
Lumberman.....you mean to be able to withstand impact being 7/16" thick?Blunts or stone arrow heads I guess your talking about.11/32" ends will withstand impact[trees,bone,etc.] too if flying right like a dart.Now rocks that a different critter.Seen carbides blow apart hitting rocks.....lol,or at least their plastic nock blow off the end.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 11:01:26 am »
And the imfamous steel deer with a hole in him......ha ha.
BowEd
Ed

Offline loon

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 01:58:04 pm »
Could make tapered shafts by making the route movable? Or the blocks with holes where the shaft spins..

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 04:30:48 pm »
I am going to be using trade points, I am gathering that a uniform thickness is fine as long as the spine is okay. Thanks!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 09:49:23 am »
You should be ok thickness wise.I've set stone pints in 23/64" ends on shafts with no problem.I'm no expert at it but it's done on 11/32" ends too.So a trade point should be even easier.
Matching weight field point to broadhead point is the way to go for best flight works best for me.I've read the shaft should be 5# heavier in spine going to a broadhead.I shoot them into a dirt pile[free of rocks...lol] at 15 to 20 yards and figure it out myself.I go with what works so you'll have to do your own investigating and shooting to see for yourself.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 12:06:57 pm »
OK my findings so far on local & some exotic wood for arrow shafts:
These are @ 30"length parallel and 23/64" thickness.
Honey locust[sapwood & heartwood]....lower 40's#@500+ grains
Ash[sapwood & heartwood]................mid 50's#@500+ grains
walnut[sapwood & heartwood]............mid 50's#@mid 400's grains.I like this one myself.I needed to barrel it slightly.
Maple.............lower 40's@500+ grains
Osage............mid 40's@600+ grains
cocobolo.........mid 40's@600+ grains
I imagine I could of googled this to find out but I'm a seeer first hand believer myself.I'm not quite all the way sure these shafts might not gain more spine drying farther and losing maybe a little weight so I will keep an eye on that.I will try BL too and others I come across.Like maybe elm,cherry,ironwood,& hickory.I'll take for granted that people have done dogwoods which @ 23/64" will be in the 65 to70#.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 12:49:45 pm »
Sweet, what do you think about white oak and red oak? I've got a couple dozen I need to sand down

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 08:25:01 pm »
Don't know yet but good idea.I've got some red oak too.No white oak though.Only so many hours in a day though you know.....lol.I'll stay at it.Let me know what you find too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 09:31:39 pm »
Yeah I feel ya there, don't mean to be demanding haha just seemed like you were being mighty productive over there lol

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 09:38:28 am »
Yes I can get obsessed.Anyway all of these shafts need to be fletched up and shot and shot yet so that'll be the final test.On multiple bows too.Darn windy here lately and I don't like that at all.Is'nt that cold though.
Another thing to keep track of is whether some might have tendencies to warpage or not.It'll get done.I know I cut up some red oak here but must have misplaced them or something.I'll find them.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 10:15:10 am »
I got a few black walnut heartwood shafts from Ken75 a few years ago. They seemed to make pretty good arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 12:00:59 pm »
I hope so Pat.The sapwood is'nt much different from the heartwood really maybe slightly.I've got them intermixed within the shaft here too.Prettt pretty!!!I'm sure their not as tough as dogwood or sourwood but their available easily here by me.The cool thing about dogwood is that it's mass weight you can figure it being 10 times the spine.Walnut is a little lighter in mass weight compared to it's spine.Understandable!!!Guess you can't really figure the specific gravity of woods this way but you can tell which wood is denser that's for sure,but you could guess the mass weight without a scale just by knowing it's spine with dogwood.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 12:04:27 pm »
Or visa versa with dogwood.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 06:18:45 pm »
Stands to reason making and working with these arrow shafts that they fall in line with the bow wood chapter in TBB 4 on specific gravity and elasticity.An indicator of qualities for bow wood of different types of wood compared to each other.Not a breaking test of course but still an indicator of bend and mass to some degree of like thickness of wood against each other.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 12:27:43 pm »
Lumberman....Red oak came in at 45 to 50 spine and around the mid 500's in grains all at 23/64" and 30" long.Don't think white oak will be much different.Maybe even heavier in grain weight though.
BowEd
Ed