Author Topic: Boots and shoes  (Read 3307 times)

Offline DC

Boots and shoes
« on: January 31, 2016, 03:51:20 pm »
What do you guys use to treat your boots? Does it matter if the boots have already been treated with silicone?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Boots and shoes
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 11:01:39 pm »
I use Montana Pitch Blend or a homemade recipe with bear grease, bees wax and pine pitch heated and blended together.
 silicon seals the pores so I don't know how well the leather will absorb the dressing. only way to know is to try. It won't hurt it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 03:36:40 am »
I've used Sno-Seal on My boots for Years. My Dyer Moccosins however come with a can of Mink-Oil type stuff- so I use that on them. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 08:23:29 am »
I've had good luck with Red Wing boot oil.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:32:03 am »
Mink oil on all my leather boots. The rest of my boots need no help. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 09:39:42 am »
I also use sno-seal.  Great stuff. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 01:53:04 pm »
My mink oil never lets me down, but I read a lot of good about Sno-seal. Time to buy a can and try it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 03:58:07 am »
Pearly - I use an old hair dryer to warm the leather before, then after a heavy coating of Sno-Seal, allowing it to "melt" in. Did that on My Moosehide MukLuks the first coating before wearing - still going strong after 15 years !!! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 04:12:45 am »
I use mink oil or the paste most of the time.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 12:31:59 pm »
Well, I was actually expecting a bunch of bear fat, pitch and bee's wax recipes but it sounds like Sno-seal is the choice. I'll go look for some. I don't have a bear anyhow. Thanks guys :D

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 10:12:03 am »
I believe Sno seal is just a mixture of linseed oil and bees wax.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 10:19:19 am »
I think Sno-Seal has silicon in it also.
I've heard that silicon clogs the pores of the leather and prevents it from breathing where the other dressings like Mink Oil or Montana Pitch Blend hydrate(adds oil) the leather and repels water.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JEB

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 10:24:06 am »
I have an old can of Grizzly Grease that I put on and then use an old hair dryer to melt it into the cracks.  I usually put a couple of coats on the boots when I do it to make sure they get covered good.

Offline willie

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 01:55:20 pm »
Many of the above have worked for me in the past. I do avoid animal fats if there is a puppy or dog that likes  to chew, nearby

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 02:03:12 pm »
Many of the above have worked for me in the past. I do avoid animal fats if there is a puppy or dog that likes  to chew, nearby

Can you blame a pup?  First off, it is leather, and leather is great for teething.  Secondly, they smell intensely of the person they love.  It's too much to ask of a pup to understand that they gotta leave 'em alone, so you gotta be the responsible party. 

I use mink on my expensive, high quality moccasins.  When they have been dampened, I wear 'em until they are dry and then rub in generous amounts of grease, paying extra attention to any raw edges of the leather and the seams.  I practically putty knife it there and then use a hair dryer to warm the grease and leather until it melts in.  I do pretty much the same for boots.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.