Author Topic: Marks on arrows  (Read 6664 times)

Offline DC

Marks on arrows
« on: January 31, 2016, 07:21:41 pm »
I just noticed that it looks like my arrow rest is cutting a groove in the bottom of my arrows. I tried to take a picture but it won't show. The marks are on the bottom of the arrow, not against the bow, and are about 3-6" long starting right in front of the fletching. I'm using 4 arrows, spined between 34 and 36#. The heavier arrows are worse(a clue). The rest did have a sharp edge, you can see where I sanded it. My string nock is set at 7/16" above the rest. Could the string nock be a little higher, along with lower spine, maybe. It's a 42# bow.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Re: Marks on arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 07:29:09 pm »
Are you getting decent arrow flight right now? Any vertical wobble?

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 07:30:45 pm »
Take the shelf off and make it into a real bow.  Your hand won't leave a mark. ;)

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 07:45:00 pm »
Soooo many variables, but to make it short, different tiller vs different shooting style may need a higher nock placement.  If there's that much contact you would see the fletch kick up upon release...How's the arrow look in flight? Don't be afraid to take the nock point up until it's corrected...I have seen them 3/4" and more above 90 degrees.

Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 07:54:00 pm »
Take the shelf off and make it into a real bow.  Your hand won't leave a mark. ;)

It will leave a mark on my hand instead ;D  The arrows wobble sometimes. Haven't noticed porpoising. I'll try messing with the nock tomorrow, it's getting dark now.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 08:04:19 pm »
Soooo many variables, but to make it short, different tiller vs different shooting style may need a higher nock placement.    Don

What difference in tiller would do that? What is the relationship between tiller and nock height?

Offline loon

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 08:15:11 pm »
Do a forward khatra!11! or move the rest down or something, tiller it so the arrow goes over the rest but flies straight

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 08:22:42 pm »

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 08:28:51 pm »
tiller it so the arrow goes over the rest but flies straight

I don't think I have ever read anything less helpful. It explains nothing. Sorry

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 08:35:32 pm »
  Not saying you have bad tiller DC...Is upper limb tillered positive, negative? shooting styles/finger holds, grip, limb timing will affect your fulcrum point/nock travel upon release...Especially with the self bows we build, no telling what can go on...If you arrow flight is good you may want to put some padding/fur on the shelf...
                                                                                                                                    Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 08:54:53 pm »
Neutral tiller, 6 7/8" top and bottom, 11" out from the middle. I did find that the top limb is 3/8" longer than the bottom. Not sure how that happened :-\

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 09:59:10 pm »
I don't think I have ever read anything less helpful. It explains nothing. Sorry
Or just nock higher. When shooting off the hand, the way to avoid getting cut by feathers is to nock higher. But sometimes that results in the arrow flying with the tail pointing up, in which case the bow should be tillered differently... or maybe gripped lower? I'm not sure. If the nock point is too high, arrows fly with tail up, right? Or down? I don't remember.

Do a forward khatra!11!

A what????
https://www.facebook.com/713115765475844/videos/886239568163462/

ha ha *shrug*

Disregard it, I guess. Only worth it with thumb draw and then I'd only do the sideways one.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 10:07:04 pm by loon »

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 10:10:40 pm »
If I tried that with a 70" bow I'd be walking funny for a week. :o :o I still don't know what khatra is. Is it flailing the bow around after release?

Offline loon

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 10:17:48 pm »
If I tried that with a 70" bow I'd be walking funny for a week. :o :o I still don't know what khatra is. Is it flailing the bow around after release?
Pretty much, caused by force or torque applied while the bow is drawn. Forward is you just flail it forward, which I've thought was just to compensate for an unbalanced bow but apparently gives a speed increase. Sideways can help reduce friction and makes the bow act more center shot if done properly, which japanese and korean archers do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9pcei7cRcU

sorry for the off topic. Just nock higher of you can?  :P

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 10:18:35 pm »
When shooting off the hand, the way to avoid getting cut by feathers is to nock higher.

A popular myth. The way to keep arrows from cutting the hand is to taper the quills gently down to the shaft and put a drop of glue on the forward tip where quill and shaft meet. Never a cut when this is done, even if the arrow bruises you because it is nocked too low--which of course you would change after one bruise.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine