Author Topic: How problematic are white bow limbs?  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Accipiter

How problematic are white bow limbs?
« on: February 05, 2016, 03:26:16 pm »
Hi all, I'm hoping to go hunting this fall, and right now my prime suspect is a 66.5" yew takedown bow:

This one has been fighting me for a while now, but I've finally got the tiller close to where I want it, and am contemplating the finishing touches. I haven't been bowhunting before, so my question is, if I'm planning on using this bow to harvest a deer, how important is it to make sure the back is dark or camo'd? Right now is sort of a white/cream color with strips of cambium:

Not neon by any means, but pretty visible, especially in better light than I have right now. I'm toying with the idea of backing the bow with fish or snake skins to dull it down, but if they're not necessary than it might be simpler and cheaper to leave it as is. What are your thoughts? I notice a lot of the deer on this forum are taken with darker wood or snake-backed bows, but is that a looks thing (and they do look awesome!) or is it a real consideration to avoid being seen? I don't necessarily expect to nail a deer my first time out, but I'm sure I'll have enough noob mistakes to make without flashing a deer with a bright bow!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How problematic are white bow limbs?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 10:35:05 pm »
There is lots of white in the hunting woods. Movement, or lack of is more critical than a color. If it doesn't have a finish on it yet you can rub it down with some finely ground charcoal with a little veg oil(or bear grease). It will cut the white nicely without overpowering the appearance of the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 02:13:08 am »
That sounds like a great idea, I'll give it a shot. Thanks Pat.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 08:17:57 am »
Yah, knocking it down a bit wont hurt. The problem isnt the color as much as a solid shape all the same color that contrasts with everything around it. Like Pat said, movement is really what matters most.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 09:30:33 am »
Can't even tell ya how many times I've spotted deer first by the flicker of their tail, I wouldn't hunt with a white bow unless I was in a snowstorm haha. The key factor being the movement; their eyes are not going to care about camo pattern but something that blends (brown) into the woods can give you a bit more freedom. Their eyes pick out each other's white tails running through heavy brush just like ours do and any twitch of a white limb followed by other movements could make an unfortunate difference. Need to be able to focus on releasing that arrow into the vitals without keeping the bow dead still

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 05:30:11 pm »
There's an old saying black bows make good turkey bows.That's shooting from inside a blind with a black background.I won't be in a tree with a white bow.No matter how fast it is.Both turkey and deer are motion oriented critters and deer when their nose confirms their suspicion are gone.You got the bow[a nice one] to do the job and plenty of time shooting to marry up with it.Hope your year is prosperous.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 07:58:46 pm »
Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up putting on some charcoal dust mixed in rubbing alcohol, and then smudged it by hand. Its darkest about 6" from the handle and then fades to natural close to the tips. Definitely makes the bow blend in more, and looks pretty good I think! Now  I just need to wait until my batch of tru-oil arrives and then I can get to the real work - getting my accuracy up!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 02:19:52 am »

You can buy camo gauze tape, to put on your bow, or just make your own.  You can go to a tractor supply, or any ag store, that sells horse supplies, and get the leg wraps.  The come in colors, and are three times the length of the Coban you buy in the drug stores, and only around 3 dollars or so vs. the five or so for the small roll at the drug store.  You can get the green, and then use a magic marker, to add black stripes, and blotches, and other colors to camouflage your bow with out permanently changing the color of your bow.  Like they said, movement, and scent, is the key alert sensory alarms.  The leg wraps, are just Coban, but with different colors, as opposed to the single color of dark tan, of Coban.  Coban, is used by emergency personnel, to wrap splints, bandages, etc.  and it sticks to itself. Great stuff to have in your back pack, as it has multiple other uses, besides emergencies. Like blister protedction.  I have several of the leg wraps, in my truck, back packs, and in the house.  Good luck with your hunts!

Wayne

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 05:44:10 pm »
   STAIN
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING