Author Topic: Greenhorn question  (Read 4491 times)

Offline Arrowbuster

Greenhorn question
« on: February 09, 2016, 08:10:59 pm »
Ok guys, I got my first selfbow about ready to start tillerring, heres my question. I want to put antler tips on it. Do I need to put these in place before I start tillerring?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 08:21:34 pm by Arrowbuster »

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: Greenhorn questiom
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 08:19:59 pm »
No. While it doesn't hurt anything to put the on first I always wait  untill I have a bow shooting before I add tips. Reason why is because if the bow breaks or I decide to shorten it I haven't waisted extra time and material on it.
Steve Bennett

Offline Arrowbuster

Re: Greenhorn question
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 08:29:28 pm »
Here it is so far.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 08:40:19 pm »
Do you want to add tip overlays, or complete "English longbow style" horn(/antler) tips?
This does make a difference.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 08:42:58 pm »
Just overlays. I just want the tips tough so I can use fast flight string if I want to. Plus I like how they look.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 09:01:36 pm »
No. While it doesn't hurt anything to put the on first I always wait  untill I have a bow shooting before I add tips. Reason why is because if the bow breaks or I decide to shorten it I haven't waisted extra time and material on it.
.   X2

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 09:13:34 pm »
So it wont hurt anything to file my notches in the wood, tiller, add tips then refile the antler?

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 09:25:57 pm »
Wont hurt a thing.
Steve Bennett

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 09:41:55 pm »
Think it through first. Make sure that when you file the notches they are where the notches are going to be when you put you overlays on. I did one and put the "temp" notches too close to the end. When I put the overlays on I couldn't match up the notches. I had to shorten the bow an inch to get rid of the temp notches. No big deal but a waste of time.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 09:51:39 pm »
Make sure you file or sand any sharp edges when you cut your temporary string grooves.
Don't give your string the chance to catch and splinter

Offline KS51

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 11:37:26 pm »
You don't have to use horn tips to use fast flight strings (they do look nice though).   If you pad the loops with extra strands of string material the string won't be so thin that it wants to cut into the nocks.  I typically just use a nice piece of dense, tight grain, wood for tip overlays like Cocabola or Chechen or Ipe then I make sure the loops are 14-16 strands while the main string is 8-10 strands.

Ken

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 03:19:51 am »
+1
Also you can leave the tips a bit wide to allow for adjustment until you are just about finished.
I usually put mine on when I'm a couple of inches short of full draw, just allows room for that final tweaking.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 07:19:57 am »
Myself, I do quite the opposite. I glue on tip overlays prior to tillering, but usually just after floor tillering. I find it a waste of time to shape the tip of the bow twice: the first time to make a temporary string groove, and the second time to make a definitive groove in the overlay as well. To add to that, it's likely that you rounded the corners for the temporary grooves. That means that gluing on the overlay is not going to be so neat, because the rounded corners and grooves create less surface area for the overlay. I just find it easier to glue on overlays on a flat, untouched surface of a bow tip which has not yet been shaped.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 09:08:51 am »
Shaping the tips and handle area are the last thing I do. You don't need either finished while tillering.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 09:41:37 am »
 Very Good advice above and also be sure to not file temp. nock groves across the back.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good