Author Topic: bow length  (Read 7530 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: bow length
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 06:14:46 pm »
Effective in what way Jayman448? A little more info.Check out a little history about Howard Hill.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline jayman448

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 10:23:56 am »
I guess i mean effective in that the length wont impede my ability to shoot manuver in thicker brush or do you just kindof get used to it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 11:02:42 am »
I'm 5'8" and I've hunted with a 68"(5'8")bow from tree stands and from the ground. If you get used to a longer bow and are aware of your surroundings a longer bow shouldn't be a problem and they are usually more accurate to shoot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 05:41:51 pm »
  Before anyone starts, why would you want a 68" bow when a 60" bow will do better feel better and lighter in the hand. And a 60"er is a far better hunting bow when ground hunting or stand hunting for that matter.

I realize some people build those 68, 70" bows simpley because they just hav'nt the exsperance yet to build shorter bows.

Early bow huntes like HOWARD HILL, POPE & YOUNG shot long bows to reach heavy weights in their bows. Because if they could see it they let a arrow fly. Howard once shot a bull elk at 173 yards. 3 Shots over. under through the lungs with the third.

Pictures with 30,40 doves, pictures with dozzens of rabbits. The list go's on.

Howard was unbeleiveable his fetts show it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline jayman448

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 08:47:37 pm »
Ok. To recap: i have a 58" bow. I get string burn and so bad release. I want a 64" bow but all ive found are too expensive. Cheap ones are 68. Id not want a 60" bow anyways because itd seem like a waste of money for two inches. At least at 64" thats a good half a foot difference and a bunch of string angle gained

Offline loon

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 02:51:51 am »
Make a wood bow? Maybe 65"? How long is your draw?
There's a site that sells pretty cheap unfinished (as in tillered but unsealed, need to seal it with varnish or whatever yourself) hickory bows. They have 64" longbows. Could get one and heat treat the belly...  40 bucks! 39.99

holy $deity, a 75-80lbs hickory self bow for 60 bucks? Well here goes another bow...

I shoot a 53" bow (48" string length) without much trouble, i dunno man
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:43:18 pm by loon »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 08:03:51 am »
Your walking in circles fella. If your waiting for one of us to scream "yes you can!", we wont. There are scraps of advice laying here for you. Read between the lines and come up with an answer that suits YOU and where YOU hunt.

If my username was jayman448? I'd figure out why my shot sequence hurts my finger, then fix it and use a 58" bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 08:27:05 am »
ORRRRRR......Here's a solution you can do yourself.Since your going to shoot an FG bow anyway.[Or is it you want a self bow I don't know,wanting to make it yourself?].Go to a bow shop with a range.The owner wanting to sell you a bow will let you shoot multiple different bows.See which one suits ya.If you can't afford his prices make one we'll help ya and more than likely it'll be cheaper too.Sounds like you know enough about string angle etc. to make a decision.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline jayman448

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 01:11:41 pm »
I can see i walk in circles. Thalk you patb for adressing the actual question asked. Much apreciated xD

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 07:04:32 pm »
it really depends  on what you like,,practice with that and you can hunt with it,,
I have done both,,long and short,, they are both good,, I prefer short for close range deer hunting,, but have killed deer with both,,thats why you see a range of lengths in the Native bows,, they all work,,

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 05:33:55 pm »
 I shot 64"s for 15 years at least . I hunted stands for 30 some years. In 06 I had 2 strokes. Turned me into total ground hunter. I said the second year, Ill never climb another tree. I had 17 hang-ons.

I've been on the ground for 8 years. I first built a couple 60" hickory. I hunt mainly off milk create's. But GOBBLE hunting I set on by butt. So I built a 58" O'SAGE.

I'm building a 56" (HICKORY) IROQUOIS EASTERN WOOD LAND. Been in the handle bow. shot off your hand. I've shot 3 small bucks and 4 doe's shooting off my hand.

I'm almost to tiller ing and gobbler seasons ARP.

Heck I only shoot 26's so at 10 yards. I'll never fell any finger pinch.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline loon

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 01:56:14 am »
t. So I built a 58" O'SAGE.

I'm building a 56" (HICKORY) IROQUOIS EASTERN WOOD LAND. Been in the handle bow. shot off your hand. I've shot 3 small bucks and 4 doe's shooting off my hand.

Awesome, and you get 26" draw out of it? I wanna see it. How heavy is it?

I haven't had much trouble with finger pinch in the little 3finger shooting I've done, even with my 53" bow so I don't know what the deal is. Have you shot longer bows and confirmed that you can shoot them comfortably?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2016, 05:45:09 pm »
I am shooting my 55 inche osage drawn to 25 inches this year,, I can shoot it sitting on my butt,, for turkey hunting,, :)