Author Topic: I'm on a mission...  (Read 4336 times)

Offline Parnell

I'm on a mission...
« on: February 23, 2016, 09:56:24 am »
Alright, guys I picked up some new antler tools and a good billet at the knapp-in and am really kicking it off.  I sat for awhile last night and played with my new tools on some Georgetown.  I see how I'm going to need to adjust some of my technique but I was starting to get some improvement in short time.  I hope to have my first abo point to post in the next day or two.  Keep you all posted with the progress.
1’—>1’

Offline nclonghunter

Re: I'm on a mission...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 12:26:35 pm »
looking forward to it...you have some a great skill set to begin with so the learning curve will be shorter. Several people told me to start with ABO and then go to copper later. I figured once I got satisfactory with copper then I would go to ABO. I personally think it is a better way to go because you know what you can expect or achieve when you do it right.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 12:29:59 pm »
I am also looking for some large antler base from whitetail or mule deer. Did you make a contact at the knap-in that has a good supply? I am wanting billet size antler base.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline turbo

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 12:53:04 pm »
I am also looking for some large antler base from whitetail or mule deer. Did you make a contact at the knap-in that has a good supply? I am wanting billet size antler base.

Me too, found some possibles on Ebay. Let me know what you find.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 05:56:21 pm »
Hey Steve good to hear ya giving it a go.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 07:28:24 am »
I snapped one last night.  That's alright.  I put another good hour or two into it.  I'll get my first soon.  I beat on a lot of chunky stuff just to get the feel of the billets.  Its coming.  Got lots of nice long flakes on the heat treated stone.
1’—>1’

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 07:45:58 am »
I snapped one last night.  That's alright.  I put another good hour or two into it.  I'll get my first soon.  I beat on a lot of chunky stuff just to get the feel of the billets.  Its coming.  Got lots of nice long flakes on the heat treated stone.
always remember ABO loves perfect stones.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!