Author Topic: Hello from Oklahoma  (Read 4831 times)

Offline RDSBandit

Hello from Oklahoma
« on: February 13, 2016, 11:55:11 pm »
Just thought I would introduce myself. I'm 34 years old, married, father of two little boys. And here in the last couple of years or so I have felt strongly....compelled(?) to return to some of the old ways, to wor with my hands. I'm working my way towards shaving with a straight edge, I'm getting into blacksmithing, and I would love to start making bows as well.

I currently have a couple of Elm trees (I belive) that I think would make some good bows. I just need to get the nerve up to cut them down and try. I have tried once before to make a bow out of a board, yeah.... that didn't work out very well. I have volumes 1-3 of the bowyers bible and I'm hopeing that those books plus the info and help I can get from this site will hopefully lead to a life long skill of being able to make my own bows.

Also, just curious, but do you ever reach a point, maybe post count, where you no longer have to answer all of those security questions to be able to post something?

Offline Lumberman

Re: Hello from Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 10:18:31 am »
Security questions go away man, I think you came to the right place; they are full of encouragement and good advice. I can't advise ya on bow building yet as mine so far do not look anything like the ones they post, but I would say don't hop on buying anything the internet tells ya you need to make a bow, lots of gadgets and stuff being sold that the materials will come to ya with a some patience and a watchful eye. I don't have a fantasy of trying to mimic the tools used by the ancients, although I applaud those who do, and I have all I need with less than $100 invested over a few months. What part of Oklahoma?

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 10:30:14 am »
Welcome aboard! Its good to see another fellow okie join.  I dont know about your elm trees but i do know elm was my first bow wood. The fact that you already bought the books shows you are plenty serrious. Dont let being nervous stop you. You will never have done it if you never start. Go chop em down. As for tools, all ya need is a good knife.  Look forward to seeing what you make.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline RDSBandit

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 04:19:25 pm »
Southwest, over around Lawton.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 06:38:36 pm »
Hi RDS just go for it a year ago I didn't have a clue how to knap make arrows or bows now I've managed to do a fair job of all 3. I'm sure your gonna break stuff but it's all good just start another one and figure out what went wrong. A warning it can become addictive can be very relaxing if you don't let it get frustrating😊
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise