Author Topic: cane straightening  (Read 12075 times)

Offline 1442

cane straightening
« on: February 14, 2016, 01:43:33 pm »
These are some of the left overs from the cane I recently traded. I started out with thirteen but one snapped midway during the process. Another one broke near the end but there's enough left of it to make an arrow.
Shooting for #30 spine roughly for a youth bow that gets shot by a lot of different Jr. high students at my nephews house.
This first set of pics is right after initial straightening. My heat source is a propane torch that lost its airflow or something and makes a big candle looking flame instead of a pointed hissing flame like they are supposed to do. Works real good for heating cane.

Offline 1442

Re: cane straightening
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 01:45:04 pm »
This next set of pics has the nodes sanded down

Offline 1442

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 01:48:37 pm »
Here I just went over them real good with a scraper to further smooth the nodes and break the rind so they will dry on out quickly. I'll let them set a few days before proceeding.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 02:00:52 pm »
Looks like ya know what you're doing. Thanks for posting.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

riverrat

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 09:14:34 pm »
really nice work on them shafts. propains handy i guess. i like a candle. believe it or not it lasts a long long time and is dirt cheap. if you get a deer, the fat on the rump makes for some great free candles! love deer fat. its a waxy fat. great for burnished bows along with a smokey fire for water resistance and for heating shafts. Tony

Offline 1442

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 11:17:06 pm »
Thanks
Seems like I tried a candle before and it made black soot on the arrow. Maybe I had the wrong kind of candle.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 07:27:07 am »
I use a mantle lantern.No flame.An alladin lamp they call them.Kind of expensive but very handy.Use it when the current goes off in the house too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 10:49:19 am »
The little alcohol burners that come with fondue set work nicely. No soot.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 01:23:38 pm »
Looking real good.

Don't know where you are located 1442 but.....  Have you noticed Cane Patches Dying off??

Most of the patches I have collected from over the years are all dead....? :'(

Got to fine some more patches.

David

David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline 1442

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 07:50:58 pm »
Ridge runner
The cane patches where I collect at is located in the Sabine river drainage near the N end if Toledo bend lake on the LA side. The area was in a prolonged drought until about three years ago I guess and most of the cane died. I wish I woulda got to it sooner and cut all I could cause back then there was a lota lota  good tall straight cane.
The cane patches are recovering and getting better each year now. This year it's been too much rain and the cane has been flooded several times but is growing really good and theres a lot of good healthy young cane too.
The cane in this thread probably started life during the drought or shortly after it broke, and it grew shorter and more crooked than what good healthy cane can grow. Hopefully within the next couple years our patches will get thick and grow tall and straight again.
I hope your cane recovers, have y'all been drier than normal?

gutpile

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 02:42:20 pm »
I barely sand my nodes just knock the proud off, you wont mess with the integrity of cane ..... and certainly leave rind on for water proofing naturally... gut

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 03:02:45 pm »
How does cane compare to garden center bamboo? Stiffness, strength, wall thickness, anything. Just curious as I'll probably never see any up here.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 03:41:17 pm »
Cane is a generic word. Most folks call bamboo cane. Plants like phragmites are cane but not as strong as bamboo.
 Tomato stakes are generally Tonkin cane(bamboo). Hill cane, switch cane and river cane are all native American bamboos in the Arundaneria genera.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline le0n

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 06:53:39 pm »

or you can make one out of a can that you aren't using.

here's one that i made from a mountain dew can:

there are a few tutorials online for these.

just don't use rubbing alcohol in it because the water content will cause it to throw soot in the air.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 07:02:03 pm »

or you can make one out of a can that you aren't using.

here's one that i made from a mountain dew can:

there are a few tutorials online for these.

just don't use rubbing alcohol in it because the water content will cause it to throw soot in the air.

Cant believe that the aluminum last very long ..............alcohol is a hot flame and will burn/melt the can pretty fast....now if it were 400 series stainless steel it would last longer...I would be very careful with a pop can you could have a burning mess on your hands...
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking