Author Topic: Hawkeye Bowmen's 13th Annual Spring Thaw (The Primitive Shoot)  (Read 16741 times)

Offline Buffalogobbler

Hawkeye Bowmen's 13th Annual Spring Thaw (The Primitive Shoot)
« on: February 16, 2016, 11:10:24 am »
The dates are set April 22nd-24th.

This Saturday we have our planning meeting where we will snow shoe into the woods build a nice fire with flint and steel, have a big venison and eggs breakfast and plan out the events to be held at The Primitive Shoot this year.
If you want to see some of what we have done in the past go to my you tube channel(buffalogobbler1) and check out the "woods Walk" and "Clout Shoot" videos.
Or if I did it right you can click on the clout shoot link below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIsBg9keH38

More info. to come.

If you have any questions you can PM me or Brians.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline BrianS

Re: Hawkeye Bowmen's 13th Annual Spring Thaw (The Primitive Shoot)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 04:51:30 pm »
Funny thing is we have a real nice heated Clubhouse but it just doesn't seem right to have our Primitive Shoot planning meeting inside so We trek back into our woods in the middle of Winter to have our meeting. I guess by some folks standards (Us Hawkeye Boys) ain't all there but I think maybe it might be the other way around.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:55:47 pm by BrianS »

Offline BrianS

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 12:34:56 pm »
We had our planing meeting back in the Hawkeye woods this morning to discuss the Spring Thaw Shoot. Items discussed were continuing the Friday "One Log Primitive Fire Contest", Saturday's Hawk and Knife Throw, The Archery Woodswalk and of course the Evening Camp Feast (making a small change to include the old Cooking Contest with the Camp Feast. The Clout Shoot will be held on Sunday. Dino and Eric have been working on some challenges for this year's Woodswalk that should be fun. We already have some prizes being donated. Here are a few pictures from our "Breakfast Meeting" in the Woods including one of "Buffalo Gobbler" aka Kevin receiving a surprise gift of a handcrafted barktan haversak (Dino did the tanning and Rob made the bag), "Raisin" aka Colton (Dino's Son) eating a breakfast sandwich bigger than he is!.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 12:42:28 pm »
Breakfast was sausage, french toast, eggs, bacon, cheese rolls and raisin bread toast. All cooked over a campfire that was started with flint and steel. Here are a few more pictures of our morning. If you are looking for a small very  laid back Primitive Shoot, this may be of interest.
In previous years, we have had between 40 and 60 Shooters attend. We are not looking to grow this Event into a big Shoot but there is room for new folks to attend.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 12:49:42 pm by BrianS »

Offline BrianS

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 09:58:44 am »
Hawkeye Member Joe Carbone donated this knife to be awarded as a prize at this year's Spring Thaw Shoot.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 08:59:08 am »
Joe donated another real nice knife to be awarded as a prize this year. The picture does not do it justice. Somebody is going to be very happy when they win it.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 10:41:09 am »
The One Log Primitive Fire Contest will be held again this year at the Spring Thaw Shoot. Here is how it works for those who have not competed in it. Each Competitor chooses his/hers one log from our firewood shed. That one piece of firewood is your only source of kindling and fuel for your fire. You must then process the one piece into kindling and firewood using your hawk, axe or knife, start your fire using a primitive method (flint and steel, fire piston, friction fire, the choice is yours) and then bring one cup of water to a rolling boil using whatever container you have. The Winner is the one who accomplishes all of this in the fastest time. Note: One cup of water on a natural gas stove takes around two minutes to bring to a boil. "The Devil is in the Details" on how to win. Correct choice of log (btu's from which type of tree, big piece has more fuel but is harder to process, little piece easier to process but contains less fuel), Use of a large axe or small axe or knife, which method is used to create a flame, what container is used to hold the water, the wind direction, the weather conditions). In the past this event has been a lot of fun and the Woodsman competing raise the level every year.
Here are a couple of pictures from last year (Karl using a bow drill to get his fire started and last year's Winner Rob who used a fire piston he had made)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 08:08:46 am by BrianS »

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 03:50:16 am »
That looks like a GREAT time. Wish I was closer, I'd be right there with Ya ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 09:28:16 am »
Hawkeye is blessed with some exceptional Members. Joe Carbone in addition to the knives has donated this Hawk as a prize to be awarded this year. God Bless you Joe!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 04:01:40 am »
Nice ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline dinorocks

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 03:46:16 pm »
My partner and I have this years Woods Walk all planned out...unfortunately I was not able to run it last year as a result of a ruptured Achilles but will be making up for it this time around (and thanks to Brian S. for stepping in at the last minute to help out!).

We are planning to enter 5 competitors at the entry shoot with a special Wild Card event at our camp for a total of 6.  We had a very hard time picking which challenges to use in an effort to keep the event down to a reasonable time length and not send anybody to the hospital (sorry Ed).

In addition to several shooting challenges, we also plan to put the competitors up against each other to test their orientation skills, fire making, knot tying, first aid, observation and identification skills, axe skills, and more...with many special twists of course!  Each of the challenges are tied together with an underlying Mountain Man (Free Trapper) story plot in the background.

And how can I forget...the winner will go home with an incredible prize...maybe a knife, a hawk, a basket quiver made by my wife, or something else...we shall see!!!

Cannot wait and really hope to see some new faces!!  This event will be held on Saturday, April 23, 2016.

Thanks,
Dino
"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow"  GD

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 09:22:05 am »
The cost for all of this fun is $10.00 per day or only $20.00 for the whole weekend, and that includes camping!!!

Kevin

Offline BrianS

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 10:19:46 am »
Just received more donations for prizes. Both were crafted and donated by Hawkeye Member Kevin Raybould aka "Buffalo Gobbler". The Turkee Caller sounds as good as it Looks! The take down buck saw is made to use and is crafted very well. Kevin donates every year and is hell of a good guy!

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 09:01:27 am »
Only about a month away, I can't wait!
Our snow is gone already hopefully we'll have great weather.

Kevin

Offline BrianS

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 10:12:22 am »
Over the years, We have had every type of weather (snow, rain, winds and Sunshine) at the Spring Thaw Shoot. The Folks who attend are a tough bunch of Backwoodsmen and women who know how to handle just about anything.  After being out in the weather all day, going back to a well setup Camp and getting a fire going sure is a good feeling.