Author Topic: Shop shoes  (Read 3205 times)

Offline DC

Shop shoes
« on: February 21, 2016, 12:13:29 pm »
My feet get sore on the concrete floor in my garage :(. I think I need something better than my slippers. Any recommendations?  I have a foam mat in front off my bench.

Offline bubby

Re: Shop shoes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 12:20:07 pm »
Crocs work pretty good and slip right off to go in the house
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 12:38:11 pm »
Get an old piece of carpet to stand on. It will insulate your feet from the floor too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 12:44:39 pm »
That's what the foam mat does. It's 1/2" thick and looks like checker plate. It definitely helps with the warm but after a day in the shop I still hobble around like an old man. Oh, wait, I am an old man, almost :D :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 12:58:33 pm »
You may need to take breaks and walk around some then go back to your work bench.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 01:44:32 pm »
Take a break!!???                             Ya maybe :(

Offline Blob

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 09:10:28 pm »
The only shoes that I can wear for multiple hours on concrete are my Red-wing Boots. Everything else I've tried cause lots of aching.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 09:57:34 pm »
I went looking a Crocs and Croc imitations. The imitations were made of hard plastic, not comfy. The Crocs were $50. They were softer but no better than my day to day shoes. Maybe it's time to turf the slippers and wear decent shoes out there.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 10:15:05 pm »
I'm a big fan of adidas running shoes.  I wear them every day in the shop.  Very lightweight and comfortable.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 11:32:14 pm »
Yep, foam mat is sooooo nice. Work type boots have been best for me. Though pair of slippers have been used more than once.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 06:45:22 am »
I am partial to the Sperry deck shoes for knocking around. When things get muddy I wear my L Bean Maine hiking boots I bought in the mid eightys. I just adjust lacing so I can slide everything on and off without using my hands. I think cutting off an old pair of rubber boots would make good shop shoes too. Cutting off some old work boots and adjusting the lacing to slide on and off would be good recycling also.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 07:25:05 am »
Crocs. You don't need foam mats when your walking on foam mats :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline neuse

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 08:01:22 am »
Just to chime in.
My knees are what do me in standing on concrete.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 09:11:48 am »
It's not uncommon for me to put in 8-10-12 hour shop days, with almost no leg fatigue. Plus, I can rinse the Crocs off if they get real nasty. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 02:41:43 am »
Yeah, crocks for me... I got camo ones  :D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.