Author Topic: Redneck Ramada II  (Read 86401 times)

Offline PNewton

Re: Redneck Ramada II
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 12:20:06 pm »
I'm looking forward to the progress pictures.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 02:12:39 pm »
I sometimes wonder what wild projects you would crank out if you were not chained to a job so much of your time!  What would spring forth from your mind, if you were not constrained by time and money? 

Some of us oughta have jobs and someone standing over us making us be productive, but people like you really just need to be turned loose! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 03:36:38 pm »
Will do Mullet.

JW, my boring job gives me time to let my mind wonder and come up with stuff to make.  It seems like as soon as I finish a project I think of something else to start on.  My project list has a few more items on it.  I'd like to make a small log skidder to pull behind a quad, an outdoor wood grill, and someday a bigger work shop.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 07:12:33 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 09:00:37 pm »
I didn't get much done on the camper today.  I only had a few hours to work on it and trying to move around a 13' long wall section by myself was a bit of a struggle.  I got the straight sections framed out around the perimeter.  I traced out the curved sections on the leftover plywood.  I was planning on laminating several sheets together to use for the curved frame.  The thickness wasn't right at all so I decided to use 2x lumber instead.  I have them all cut out.  This weekend I'll try to get the walls completely framed up. 

I did some modifications to the slope on the back of the camper.  I would like to go farther with it but I would be losing headroom in the open section where I'll be standing. 

Offline RyanR

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 05:07:43 pm »
Looking good so far, maybe you and Bill can bunk in it at Marshall. >:D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 07:46:10 pm »
I don't know Ryan.  I'll have to talk to the Dancing Bear about that one.

Today I finished framing in one side.  I still need to put some cross braces between the studs.  I put some temporary bracing on it to keep it from flexing.  I still need to frame in the window.  I'm waiting to cut the door out until after I get it mounted on the trailer.  Tomorrow I'll see if I can get the other side framed up.

I brought home a load of old barn siding.  It's red oak with a nice aged and weathered look.  I pulled out all the nails and cut the bad ends off of the boards.  They are to thick and to use the way they are so I'm going to cut them into 6" wide boards.  Then I'm going to try and resaw them on the band saw to a little under 1/2" thick.  That should make them light enough to use as siding. 

Offline TRACY

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 09:42:48 pm »
Very nice Clint! Can't wait to see it come together.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 04:26:34 am »
  Another cool project!  I wish I had some of your motivation Clint.  Hope I get to see this one at the Classic.  It looks like it is coming along good. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2016, 08:16:48 pm »
Thanks Tracy. 

Howard, I'm planning on hauling it to the Classic. 

Today I got the other wall framed up.  I cut out the windows and framed around both of them.  I think I'm ready to mount the sides onto the trailer.  I'm not sure if I'll do that tomorrow or not.  Depends on rain and if I can get some help.  I'll have to pull it outside to put the walls on.  It will be to tall for the building I have it in now.  I should be able to store it under a roof but it will be close.  I wanted to make it a few inches taller but then I wouldn't have anywhere to store it. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 06:21:09 am »
Man that is coming along Clint, look forward to seeing it roll down the hill. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 09:06:56 pm »
Looking good so far, maybe you and Bill can bunk in it at Marshall. >:D
For that to happen....I'll have to check out the ventilation system and Clint will have to invest into some ear plugs.. :)  ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 09:07:25 pm »
I just hope I can stop it when I get to the bottom of that hill Pappy.

I didn't have any help for most of the day so I wasn't able to mount the walls on the trailer.  I used a straight edge and a circular saw to rip the Oak barn siding boards.  I kept the width under 6".  Most of them are closer to 4".  I'm a little worried about trying to resaw 6" of red Oak.  I'm sure my band saw is capable.  I'm just not so sure on the user.  I haven't done any sawing like this before.  I have 2 new blades.  I hope that is enough to get through them.  Any tips or advice is welcome.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 09:08:58 pm »
Bill, it's going to have 2 windows so I'll get some good cross ventilation going.  I can also get an air freshener for it.  And I have plenty of ear plugs.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 11:47:24 pm »
resawing on bandsaw . . . YouTube is your friend.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2016, 12:01:49 am »
Resawing ain't to bad,  you need a good straight fence and a 3tpi blade at least 1/2in. I also use some wax on the blade and the saw top. A second set of hands is nice but if not find something the same height as the saw top so your boards can rest on it behind the saw. Let the saw run for a few seconds between boards. This will help cool the blade. Also if it's cooler out side that's nice to. If not I point a fan at the cutting table too help keep it cool and to blow dust away. Hope this helps ya bud.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!