Author Topic: Finishing material  (Read 4955 times)

Offline Lucasade

Finishing material
« on: February 28, 2016, 03:51:02 pm »
If I want to make a mix of beeswax, resin and fine tallow, what resin do I need? Or can I just use wax and tallow?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Finishing material
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 06:21:48 pm »
I've made leather dressing with bees wax, bear grease and pine pitch.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 01:07:19 pm »
Would they have used pine pitch in Tudor England? I guess there were pine trees but assumed it would be something else they would use.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 02:45:42 pm »
Pine, spruce, fir and probably others
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 04:45:13 pm »
Pork fat and beeswax!  Waterproof, traditional and easy to mix a batch and apply.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 01:55:46 am »
I thiught the books say tallow which is mutton or beef fat though?

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 03:05:37 am »
Varnishes have been made from pine resins since forever. I really like copal varnish. It's easy to make your own varnishes from pine resins.

Offline WillS

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 03:59:22 am »

I think you can use whatever you want.  A lot of people swear by predator fat - bear, fox etc.  I like pork fat because it's easy to get.  We don't have bears here ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 09:35:13 am »
I do make a varnish by dissolving hard, brittle pine pitch in alcohol to seal primitive arrows and sinew wraps on arrows. I guess it actually isn't a true varnish because it doesn't have oil in it but it works well to seal arrows and sinew wraps. I don't think I would use it on bows though.
 I have finished a few bows with hand rubbed bear or pork fat and it worked well.
Animal fat, bees wax and tree pitch blend together well with a little heat but be careful because the pitch in very volatile so don't overheat it. Different mix ratios will yield different consistencies for different applications. 

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 01:15:41 pm »
Sounds like lots of things to experiment with - thanks all.

Offline Heffalump

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 11:53:41 am »

I think you can use whatever you want.  A lot of people swear by predator fat - bear, fox etc.  I like pork fat because it's easy to get.  We don't have bears here ;)

That's exactly what Meester Poletti sends through with his bows Will  ;)....plus when they eventually go "bang", the wreckage smells lovely when you sling it on the camp-fire  :P

John T  8)
Semper Specto in Vitae Parte Clara