Author Topic: Two questions on wood backings  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Lumberman

Two questions on wood backings
« on: March 01, 2016, 09:23:38 am »
So I have gathered that a good backing can protect a bow that has grain violations but does the grain have to be perfect on the backing?
Also would it be intolerably inefficient to use a tension weak wood to back a tension strong wood for a asthetic appeal? I have a bunch of thin walnut boards from 1/8" to  1/2" and some some hickory with not so perfect grain patterns for standing alone. I keep breaking or over thinning the ones with good grain patterns and am running out lol

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Two questions on wood backings
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 09:27:46 am »
Hickory, maple or boo are the top backers. All are tension string. Grain is always imperative, especially on a backing.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 09:55:17 am »
Thanks that answers the first question, I'm not wondering what is a good backing  I am wondering if I take a compression strong wood like my walnut and glue it to the hickory with a few grain violations toward one end. Or would it be likely to fail. I don't mind trying just thought I'd ask if that was a clear no no or not. Thanks again for the trade btw! I mailed out my end yesterday

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 10:00:09 am »
Hickory backed walnut would be ok. Walnut isn't a good backing in any way and isn't compression strong wood. Pics would help, but violations are never good. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 10:10:10 am »
  Agree with Pearl.  Walnut backing isn't a great choice.

If you made a walnut backing it would have to be PERFECT, preferably sawn from the outside of a log "under the bark" like a selfbow would have, and even then I dunno.......maybe on a very lightweight bow?  Save the walnut to make nock overlays, recurve stiffening overlays on the belly, wedges, and handles.

But, take a look at your hickory boards again.  Hickory is tough stuff, and if the grain is good you can make a flat sawn, quartersawn, or even rift sawn backing.  Can you re-orient the board diagonally, and then again at a bias (with a jig, please, for safety) and get a backing out of it?  Can you maybe get a perfect 38" piece and splice the backing in the handle? 

I've seen bows backed with red oak or other "lesser" woods do fine, but the grain was really good, and walnut just seems to want to separate under tension, even in selfbows.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:17:05 am by Springbuck »

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 10:25:34 am »
I'll post a pic of the grain runoff when I get home later. Well blast I thought I read in tbb4 that walnut was good in compression, alright cool about the varying hickory  "sawns" being okay I pretty much get my pick, a day like today where I am grading walnut and soft maple got me wondering , like these two 1/2"r's that would be headed to the chipper

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 10:57:36 am »
lumberman

what is a 1/2 r ?

willie

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 11:03:28 am »
Save that 1/2" er, walnut makes a good bow and a hickory backer will be fine, I do prefer maple but that's me. I built a nice birch backed bl walnut beautiful bow and that might be good barter on the trade page
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 01:03:30 pm »
Just meaning 1/2 inch thick willie, yeah bubby I've got a basement with a lot of black walnut drying and dried already. We just switched to hickory actually so I'll see what I can spare from the chipper today

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 01:20:29 pm »
Now all I can do is envision the bows in each one

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 01:33:25 pm »
Oh, walnut IS pretty good in compression, at least for it's weight.

And, btw, black walnut is different wood.  Botanically, it is more closely related to hickory and pecan, but the wood doesn't act like hickory, really either.  I like it better than walnut, but I have only worked with either a couple or three times.

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 02:24:35 pm »
Lumberman-

I am sure you have been asked this before, but do all those side slabs with the natural backs go to the chipper too?

willie

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 03:04:37 pm »
Nope I have not been asked but the debarker generally tears the outer layer up some, I've been trying to keep an eye out because the chipper is ahead of me for slabs that are intact but they are more rare. Also I need to get a bow under my belt before I start loading my already wood filled basement with tree slabs

Offline arachnid

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 05:39:52 am »
If you have access to straight grained White Oak, it makes a great backing. Good with tropical woods like Ipe.

But IMO, bamboo takes it all. Don't have to worry about grain. Just plain it smooth and keep it thin.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 10:39:22 am »
Lumber mam ... you grading on green chain?
It's been lotta years since my hardwood lumber mill days!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857